Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Liza Tarbuck has one of the best tastes in music on the radio waves

This in bucket loads. Her Saturday night show is an absolute joy.

That's not my cat!

Jo Wiley is fine on TV and short doses but extended exposure can get on your tits. I think it's the way she seems to think EVERYTHING is amazing, fabulous, the greatest thing ever. Her pairing with Mayo was a disaster, maybe not her fault but I previously enjoyed Mayo's show so I'm laying the blame at her feet.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

This in bucket loads. Her Saturday night show is an absolute joy.

That's not my cat!

Jo Wiley is fine on TV and short doses but extended exposure can get on your tits. I think it's the way she seems to think EVERYTHING is amazing, fabulous, the greatest thing ever. Her pairing with Mayo was a disaster, maybe not her fault but I previously enjoyed Mayo's show so I'm laying the blame at her feet.

They can only allude to it in a fairly coded way - especially being that they are on 5Live - but when they refer to this on Kermode and Mayo podcast, the latter doesn't seem too happy with the whole thing (he had the grace to publicly say that Whiley is a friend, etc though).

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

She really does seem to get under people's skin. I guess she comes off a little insincere, but she doesn't bother me at all.

I used to hate her when she was on Radio 1. Remember her having Coldplay on her show and she gave them the most fawning over the top introduction which went on for about 5 mins about how they were the best band in the history of music. Then a few nights later she was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks and everyone was slagging Coldplay off and she joined in. Just summed her up for me.

I know prime time radio DJs have a play list and don't pick the music, but you don't have to say everything is the best thing ever when you don't believe it. Especially when you take ages doing it, time you could be playing the song or letting the artist your saying is so wonderful actually speak. 

Also find her introductions to things when she's on the Glastonbury coverage annoying as she has to spend ten minutes with really over the top fawning insincere introductions.

I know she can't say I think this next band are shit but other people seem to like them, but maybe save extra enthusiasm for the bands you genuinely love or are actually massive and just keep it short and sweet for the bands you don't care about.

Whilst we're talking about DJs Lauren Laverne is my favourite radio DJ ever. Then she's followed by Mary Anne Hobbs and it's so jarring.

I once heard Trump call someone a low energy individual as an insult and that just sums up Marry Anne Hobbs for me. Just feel like listening to her talk drains the energy out of me and some of her song choices are quite questionable too.

The fact she's on after Lauren who I totally love, both for her personality and song choices doesn't help. Such a contrast between them.

5 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I used to hate her when she was on Radio 1. Remember her having Coldplay on her show and she gave them the most fawning over the top introduction which went on for about 5 mins about how they were the best band in the history of music. Then a few nights later she was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks and everyone was slagging Coldplay off and she joined in. Just summed her up for me.

I know prime time radio DJs have a play list and don't pick the music, but you don't have to say everything is the best thing ever when you don't believe it. Especially when you take ages doing it, time you could be playing the song or letting the artist your saying is so wonderful actually speak. 

Also find her introductions to things when she's on the Glastonbury coverage annoying as she has to spend ten minutes with really over the top fawning insincere introductions.

I know she can't say I think this next band are shit but other people seem to like them, but maybe save extra enthusiasm for the bands you genuinely love or are actually massive and just keep it short and sweet for the bands you don't care about.

It was the name-dropping that used to get on my tits.

6 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I seem to have stopped listening to 6 since the reshuffle sadly. I often just stick the weekend RadMac shows on when I'm working; I find them quite cheering during lockdown life.

I remember hating Jo Wiley.  She's one of those BBC people that are deliberately bland so that they can be shifted between different presenting roles on TV and radio: an inoffensiveness that is itself offensive.  A slight nod towards some sort of personality, but mostly deliberately absent of any real feelings. 

But that was then. I haven't actually heard her in years because she's on radio 2, and I only ever hear radio 2 when I'm at my mum's, which I haven't been for ages now. Radio 2 is shit. 

But with Wiley over there, and Lammo still making a good living from terrible music, can we have some sort of tribunal into the lasting damage wrought by the Evening Session?

5 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Whilst we're talking about DJs Lauren Laverne is my favourite radio DJ ever. Then she's followed by Mary Anne Hobbs and it's so jarring.

I once heard Trump call someone a low energy individual as an insult and that just sums up Marry Anne Hobbs for me. Just feel like listening to her talk drains the energy out of me and some of her song choices are quite questionable too.

The fact she's on after Lauren who I totally love, both for her personality and song choices doesn't help. Such a contrast between them.

Amen to this. I can't stand Hobbs' voice, her choice of music, the way she laughs after everything she says. Almost everything about her winds me up! I have to turn off my radio at 10:30 every day now.

4 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I've never been totally clear on dance music definitions. So is Steps techno and not house?

Techno apparently.

"Musically, 5,6,7,8 is quite confused. I think the techno element was an attempt to make line-dancing cool"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/01/how-we-made-steps-5678?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Like 1

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

I absolutely love them both. They've got me through this pandemic.

Then Keaveny is okay and I have to switch off for Lamacq.

2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I like Mary Ann Hobbs, and have done for 25 years. 

Who else will play techno at lunch time? Not fucking Jo Wiley, I bet. 

She can drop the heavy metal though. Nobody needs that. 

I love the fact that she plays both! The music choices on her show are bang on for me.