Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

3 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

feel free to start a thread on it if you wish. Could be interesting way to find out which acts to avoid seeing play live! Ian Brown was a better singer than I expected the few times I've seen Stone Roses, considering all the negative press he gets.

Actually that reminds me of a controversial music opinion I hold. The Second Coming was the best Stone Roses album

He was shite when I saw them on the reunion. And Mani's bass sound was fucking horrible and twangy. Still bloody loved it though!

Edited by MrHew

I love this thread, but I've only managed to read the first 15 pages. It moves too fast for me. Can we have a moratorium for a day or two while I catch up? 😁

Anyway, my controversial take - Nick Cave's a great artist but some of his Red Hand File posts are bollocks or pretentious waffle. 

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I love this thread, but I've only managed to read the first 15 pages. It moves too fast for me. Can we have a moratorium for a day or two while I catch up? 😁

Anyway, my controversial take - Nick Cave's a great artist but some of his Red Hand File posts are bollocks or pretentious waffle. 

He'd fit right in here then

7 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

feel free to start a thread on it if you wish. Could be interesting way to find out which acts to avoid seeing play live! Ian Brown was a better singer than I expected the few times I've seen Stone Roses, considering all the negative press he gets.

Actually that reminds me of a controversial music opinion I hold. The Second Coming was the best Stone Roses album

I don't think it's controversial to say that they should have played some of those bangers from the second proper album rather than ploughing their way through their B-sides from earlier in their career.

I can understand the reception since it was relatively unoriginal and not at all what people were hoping for after five years, but it had some crackers on there. I'm surprised that it hasn't been substantial reappraised. I love it.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

16 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Just waiting for someone to show up on here and praise James Arthur. I have my popcorn at the ready.

Well, I can't say I'm completely adverse to a J Arthur!

Apologies Bryanrebe, but that was an open goal, and it is the law over here to knock them ones in, in that situation.

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Now this is controversial: I don't mind Jo Whiley. I don't go out my way to listen to her or anything, but I just don't find her annoying. She's fine.

I had no idea that not liking Jo Whiley was ' a thing'. Why would that be? I really enjoy listening to her shows. Actually, while on the subject, she was on fire last night. Possibly 'pumped up' at her success in the prioritisation and administration of a covid-19 antivirus injection (jab) to people who suffer learning difficulties. I do wonder though that if everybody's at peak performance on the giving the jab front, whether that means some people have been 'knocked off' the list to accommodate such a shift. 

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

She really does seem to get under people's skin. I guess she comes off a little insincere, but she doesn't bother me at all.

I did notice that Simon Mayo had a fairly uimpeachable career of prob over 30 years broadcasting on the nation's two biggest stations; then got paired with Jo Whiley and he was out on his arse within about six months!