Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But they're basically the same thing?

Ha! Reminds me of watching Have I Got News For You when GM got 'busted' for being gay.

Angus Deayton: "Andrew Ridgely refused to comment saying 'I have nothing to contribute'... not the first time he's said that."

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Oosh. That's bold. At their respective peaks, no. When viewed at a level of quality over their respective runs and an average rating applied, just maybe.

Futurama is remembered fondly but there is a fair bit of dross in there, even in the "classic period".

Simpsons series 3-8 are simply without peer.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have similar conversations with my three year old...

"What do you want to watch?"

"Peppa/Paw Patrol/Gruffalo..."

"How about Hey Duggee?"

"No"

"Just a little bit of Duggee?"

"No I want Peppa/Paw Patrol/etc"

"I'm just putting Duggee on for a bit..."

We don't even have kids and sometimes just watch Hey Duggee anyway.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Futurama is remembered fondly but there is a fair bit of dross in there, even in the "classic period".

Simpsons series 3-8 are simply without peer.

Agreed ,but that what's I meant by the average weighting. Simpsons has possibly churned out a higher amount of dross as a proportion of its overall content.

I mean, Lisa Goes Gaga drags the whole bloody premise down by at least 10% on its own.

25 minutes ago, kalifire said:

George Michael deserved a headline slot on the Pyramid stage.

I concur. But the last suitable tour he did was back in 2008 (after that, Symphonica came with a full orchestra so not practical for fests). We sometimes forget that the fest wasn't as huge back then (Verve and KOL headlining), and certainly not as pop-friendly. But, had they got him then, or indeed later he would have put on a great show (check out the live at Earls Court from that tour, its superb). I still think he is massively under-rated amongst the so-called "serious music lovers".

Edited by maelzoid
correction

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Agreed ,but that what's I meant by the average weighting. Simpsons has possibly churned out a higher amount of dross as a proportion of its overall content.

I mean, Lisa Goes Gaga drags the whole bloody premise down by at least 10% on its own.

This is true, over the last year I've made it a bit of a quest of mine to watch all the latter day Simpsons episodes (currently in Season 27). Very occasionally you get an episode that has some of the old magic, occasionally you get ones that are just downright hateful in how bad they are and how badly they treat their own characters... most of them are just forgettable.

The last good series of Futurama was 4, when it was cancelled for the first time, everything afterwards has been largely rubbish. 

I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City.
I was working on the organ sounds with much patience.
I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band.
I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
I was there.
I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids.
I played it at CBGB's.
Everybody thought I was crazy.
We all know.
I was there.
I was there.
I've never been wrong.
I used to work in the record store.
I had everything before anyone.

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This is true, over the last year I've made it a bit of a quest of mine to watch all the latter day Simpsons episodes (currently in Season 27). Very occasionally you get an episode that has some of the old magic, occasionally you get ones that are just downright hateful in how bad they are and how badly they treat their own characters... most of them are just forgettable.

The last good series of Futurama was 4, when it was cancelled for the first time, everything afterwards has been largely rubbish. 

I don't actively seek them out, but when I happen across one I am weirdly fascinated by just how bad some of them are. Not even in comparison to the classics. Just as things in their own right. How do they get made? How does no one, at any point in the production point out what a pile of shite they are? Or is it just a case of, fuck it, cash the obscenely large check, drive home to your massive house in you massive car

48 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I don't actively seek them out, but when I happen across one I am weirdly fascinated by just how bad some of them are. Not even in comparison to the classics. Just as things in their own right. How do they get made? How does no one, at any point in the production point out what a pile of shite they are? Or is it just a case of, fuck it, cash the obscenely large check, drive home to your massive house in you massive car

You can really feel the “yeah this’ll do” in a lot of them.

56 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

The one where Jeremy's Iron voiced Moe's rag was a particular low point.