Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, HeyPorter said:

I can’t separate the music from the artist but don’t find it a problem to do it for film and tv. 

Opposite for me. Having to listen to an awful person sing and/or play instruments doesn’t bother me at all, but having to actually stare at them talking etc is another thing (although not to the point that I’ll downright refuse to watch stuff they’re in - I’ll just remind everybody I’m with that they’re a prick and scowl every time they’re on screen).

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

For me personally I don't like the constant interuptions or the annoying 'ay-oh' crowd interaction shtick, I find it distracting and as I said, cringey. I appreciate a lot of people do like it, that's great, but it's not my bag.

For me, a good frontman shouldn't detract from the band or the songs, which is what Freddie did. 

Its kind of a legacy of the ay-oh series at Live Aid and Queen at Wembley a year later is that seemingly every band has since tried to copy it in some form or another. I like Green Day live but I do find they repeat derivations of that kind of chant to an excessive degree and it definitely gets boring when it's being done every 2/3 songs.

I don't think Mercury detracted from band or songs, but I can see why it might if you find that style of frontman-ing crap.

3 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

As a fan of Muse, Biffy, Idles, Fontaines DC, Green Day,Radiohead and AC/DC, I’m beginning to wonder if I’m in the right forum haha.

As a big Muse fan, I'm partly tempted to play the Grampa Simpson "I used to be with it, but then they changed what with it was" card, as while I know there's a backlash against them, I've found it much more notable in the last few albums. But then my attitude historically has been "Meh - less competition for tickets to their gigs" and as I enjoyed both Sim Theory tour shows I saw, I'm standing by that.

The album as a concept is not being destroyed by streaming, it should never have existed in the first place. It came to be because 12" vinyl played at 33 and bit rpm could accommodate 40-50 minutes of music. Even the best albums of the last 60 years have had tracks that are no more than filling the allotted time. A really good album has at best 25% of brilliant content, 40% of good stuff, and the rest is just there. I am of an age where I remember listening to the best albums of the 70s and 80s but still feel the need to lift the needle after track two and try and place it on the start of track four.

No other art form embraces the idea that more is better, you don’t go to the theatre to watch a play and are forced to sit through some other plays they were developing but were not quite as good, you don’t buy a painting and the artist throws in some sketches that they were working on at the same time.

I am optimistic for the future of music where artists release their good stuff either as individual tracks or at most an EP of 3 or 4 tracks. After a few years when their artistic creativity is ebbing they may release an album and call it "The Greatest Hits" or "The Best of"

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

The fact that Nu-metal was a passing fad is a myth.

System of a Down,Linkin Park(until Chester’s passing) and Slipknot still headline festivals, Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach continue to get high festival slots, Deftones and Korn are still releasing great albums.

Counterpoint:

Linkin Park stopped being a nu-metal band a long time before Chester passed, so did Slipknot - if they ever were one to begin with, Deftones weren't ever really nu-metal, they just got lumped in as part of that 'scene', and the only reason Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach still get high bookings is nostalgia 😛.

(For the record I at least like, if not more, pretty much every band you mentioned)

1 minute ago, waltere said:

Counterpoint:

Linkin Park stopped being a nu-metal band a long time before Chester passed, so did Slipknot - if they ever were one to begin with, Deftones weren't ever really nu-metal, they just got lumped in as part of that 'scene', and the only reason Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach still get high bookings is nostalgia 😛.

(For the record I at least like, if not more, pretty much every band you mentioned)

I never really understood what the criteria for nu-metal was, haha.

Other than the fact that they all came out roughly the same, there was never any link between them.

Korn don’t sound like Limp Bizkit who don’t sound like Slipknot who don’t sound like Linkin Park who don’t sound like Papa Roach, etc etc etc

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

Grunge went wrong. It didn't fizzle out like most music movements it got some grim mold on it and turned bad. Nothing examplifies this more than the shit show that is Pearl Jam, music too boring to properly insult.

Pearl jam are the best band on the planet old son.... Gigaton there latest album is beautiful.. 

All rap is crap 

Jools Holland is a c..t and his show would be great with some one else hosting it.. Some one like Jim jefferies 

Kourtney Def killed Kurt 

Just now, guypjfreak said:

Pearl jam are the best band on the planet old son.... Gigaton there latest album is beautiful.. 

All rap is crap 

Jools Holland is a c..t and his show would be great with some one else hosting it.. Some one like Jim jefferies 

Kourtney Def killed Kurt 

Yeah, Gigaton just gets better and better every time you listen to it.Fantastic album.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

The album as a concept is not being destroyed by streaming, it should never have existed in the first place. It came to be because 12" vinyl played at 33 and bit rpm could accommodate 40-50 minutes of music. Even the best albums of the last 60 years have had tracks that are no more than filling the allotted time. A really good album has at best 25% of brilliant content, 40% of good stuff, and the rest is just there. I am of an age where I remember listening to the best albums of the 70s and 80s but still feel the need to lift the needle after track two and try and place it on the start of track four.

No other art form embraces the idea that more is better, you don’t go to the theatre to watch a play and are forced to sit through some other plays they were developing but were not quite as good, you don’t buy a painting and the artist throws in some sketches that they were working on at the same time.

I am optimistic for the future of music where artists release their good stuff either as individual tracks or at most an EP of 3 or 4 tracks. After a few years when their artistic creativity is ebbing they may release an album and call it "The Greatest Hits" or "The Best of"

It's taken a while but...IMG_20181212_220331.jpg.6b5906ae35718713d29efc564deac36b.jpg

I grant you you could say this from the point when CDs led to 60 minute albums but 30 to 40 minutes is the perfect time for an LP.

If really good records only have 25% of brilliant content, you're listening to the wrong albums.

• Upvote 1