Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

43 minutes ago, Homer said:

Open hearted lover letter to their home city after 9/11. Scores high for me.

Well I don't want to be the one dissing a post 9/11 unity song haha 😅

I just think that there are many other rappers with better production or lyrics or flow than the Beastie Boys 

Coldplay’s later music is far better than their earlier music (except Paradise, that song sucks)

Thom’s solo work outside Radiohead is so mediocre

Twisted Wheel were one classic song away from being the new Arctic Monkeys

Black Midi & Black Country, New Road are the future of rock music (not really a hot take just thought it need saying again)

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Steely Dan make me wish I was (temporarily) deaf! Listening to garbage like that when I was a kid made me get into punk.

Hearing Thundercat and Badbadnotgood now makes me feel the same way. Awful!

But steely Dan are so smooth.

Hard agree on BadBadNotGood though, one of the worst things I’ve ever seen at Glastonbury.

10 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Queen are the most overrated band in history & Freddie wasn't a great frontman, he was cringey.

I'm not going to tell you you're wrong but am now interested in your opinion of what makes a great frontman? If it's not having the crowd in the palm of your hand, what isn't?

Side bar: Freddie was the 3rd best frontman I've seen.

However, Abba were shit. 

10 minutes ago, Haan said:

Well I don't want to be the one dissing a post 9/11 unity song haha 😅

I just think that there are many other rappers with better production or lyrics or flow than the Beastie Boys 

Flow mibbe, but not many rappers funnier than the Beasties circa Paul's Boutique. Or with better production for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm not going to tell you you're wrong but am now interested in your opinion of what makes a great frontman? If it's not having the crowd in the palm of your hand, what isn't?

Side bar: Freddie was the 3rd best frontman I've seen.

However, Abba were shit. 

I know I shouldn’t fall for this, but who’ve you seen that impressed you more than Fred?

Most Jazz is dreadful, musicians all playing a different tune to each other, clubs full of pretentious individuals giving it the 'jazz nod' towards the out of tune musicians .... and therefore I found Soul as a disney movie a problem to my eardrums ..... I am so glad there are no donwvotes

BUT , I;d even try jazz again at the moment if it meant listening to live music

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

For me personally I don't like the constant interuptions or the annoying 'ay-oh' crowd interaction shtick, I find it distracting and as I said, cringey. I appreciate a lot of people do like it, that's great, but it's not my bag.

For me, a good frontman shouldn't detract from the band or the songs, which is what Freddie did. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Most Jazz is dreadful, musicians all playing a different tune to each other, clubs full of pretentious individuals giving it the 'jazz nod' towards the out of tune musicians .... and therefore I found Soul as a disney movie a problem to my eardrums ..... I am so glad there are no donwvotes

image.png.19c56b0705d70e424a03a0a003e36814.png

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

For me personally I don't like the constant interuptions or the annoying 'ay-oh' crowd interaction shtick, I find it distracting and as I said, cringey. I appreciate a lot of people do like it, that's great but it's not my bag.

For me, a good frontman shouldn't detract from the band or the songs, which is what Freddie did. 

Have you seen the live performance stylings of the chap in your avatar?

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

For me personally I don't like the constant interuptions or the annoying 'ay-oh' crowd interaction shtick, I find it distracting and as I said, cringey. I appreciate a lot of people do like it, that's great but it's not my bag.

Fair do's but isn't someone who doesn't detract from the band just a member of the band rather than a frontman?

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Fair do's but isn't someone who doesn't detract from the band just a member of the band rather than a frontman?

Yeah on reflection that was a poor choice of words. But, I stand by my point that Freddie was cringey. 

He came across to me like he always had a rehearsed routine that he shoved into every song & just made it about himself. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

7 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yeah on reflection that was a poor choice of words. But, I stand by my point that Freddie was cringey. 

He came across to me like he always had a rehearsed routine that he shoved into every song & just made it about himself. 

You know he only did the day-oh crowd interaction stuff once a gig? Maybe it's had too much focus since he died, but it didn't comprise the whole gig.

20 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. A fairy after my own heart❤

• Upvote 1