Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Adele thing is a bit apples and oranges tbh.  I'm not sure that their careers were a zero sum game.

Maybe a bit presumptive, but I imagine they largely had/have a similar fickle audience.

Not that there can only be one, but I just think the long wait for whatever came next from Amy would lead to diminishing returns and people would move on once realising the new album isn’t just another Back to Black or whatever. The wait for what came next was probably more exciting than what was actually gonna come next.

Stone Roses and Daft Punk are overrated shite.

Green Day should have, or should still headline GF.

Stereophonics are clearly a better band than what they're considered inside this forums walls.

People who think Oasis and Beatles are "shit" haven't listened to anywhere near enough of their music and I don't really trust what else they'd have to say.

Noel Gallagher, McCartney/Lennon and Alex Turner, are the greatest songwriters of all time.

Bruce Springsteen is cack.

Don't get me started on The Streets.

Idles and Fontaines DC are absolutely woeful. 

Celine Dion for legends slot.

If Lizzo looked like Ariana Grande no one would give a shit about her music.

Edited by Stokesy10

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Their time to do it was around 04/05 when American Idiot was the biggest album on the planet.

Then or the album afterwards around 2009 when they were still reeling off the success of American Idiot. 

They’ve kind of sunk off a little bit now, especially after that weird/shit new album last year, so I can’t really imagine them being booked these days.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Then or the album afterwards around 2009 when they were still reeling off the success of American Idiot. 

They’ve kind of sunk off a little bit now, especially after that weird/shit new album last year, so I can’t really imagine them being booked these days.

If Reading/Leeds booked them to headline these days we’d be calling it desperate. Would feel even more bizarre for GF to do so.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:59 AM, SwedgeAntilles said:

'Africa' by Toto is shite and it's surge in popularity in recent years is because it's became a meme rather than the quality (or lack of it) of the track itself.

I had never heard Africa until it was played in The Doghouse at Download Festival in 2017. I was 24 at the time and stood there asking my friends what song it was and why everyone was going mad for it. They were genuinely, completely shocked that I had never heard it in 24 years. 

I agree it is an absolutely shite song though. 

58 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I had never heard Africa until it was played in The Doghouse at Download Festival in 2017. I was 24 at the time and stood there asking my friends what song it was and why everyone was going mad for it. They were genuinely, completely shocked that I had never heard it in 24 years. 

I agree it is an absolutely shite song though. 

On 2/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hendrix + The Beatles x Berry Gordy and Motown + The Hollies + Creedence Clearwater Revival + Toots and the Maytals + The Rolling Stones + Mannfred Mann + (70%) Elvis Presley + The Supremes + the creation of hard and psychedelic rock + Sam Cooke + The Pretty Things + Canned Heat + Janis Joplin + The Velvet Underground + MC5 + (15%) Pink Floyd + the birth of festival culture x Monterey x Woodstock - Altamont + Jefferson Airplane + Frank Sinatra + Beach Boys + Ray Charles + The Byrds + The Kinks + (10%) Led Zeppelin + Dick Dale + Trojan Records + The Sonics + Joe Meek + Smokey Robinson and the Miracles + The Upsetters + The Stooges x (30%) Black Sabbath + Aretha Franklin + The Doors + Marvin Gaye + The Temptations + Bob Dylan x the concept of protest rock + The 13th Floor Elevators + Desmond Dekker + The Who + James Brown.

Outstanding. Part of me was going to go through and check the assigned percentages, but a) that would be unnecessarily picky against something with this much effort put in, and b) having Altamont in there as a negative variable trumps everything.

A+