Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

31 minutes ago, nikkic said:

If she didn’t take heroin her career trajectory would have followed the likes of Dido or Duffy.

Sad but true. If she’d ever actually gotten around to making a follow up to Back to Black, I’m sure it would’ve been a massive disappointment and her legacy wouldn’t be what it is now.

Edited by FloorFiller

54 minutes ago, nikkic said:

If she didn’t take heroin her career trajectory would have followed the likes of Dido or Duffy.

So hard to tell if its bait in this thread but- Dido followed up her first #1 album with another #1 and then a #2 album whilst Duffy was involved in some mad kidnapping thing and held as some kind of sex slave and now suffers from PTSD.

I don’t rate either of them myself but not perhaps a like for like comparison, or indeed perhaps fair on Dido or Duffy.

Edited by mattiloy

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sad but true. If she’d ever actually gotten around to making a follow up to Back to Black, I’m sure it would’ve been a massive disappointment and her legacy wouldn’t be what it is now.

While we'll never know, I dunno if this is a given. Equally she could have been headlining the Pyramid.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

While we'll never know, I dunno if this is a given. Equally she could have been headlining the Pyramid.

Maybe her follow up might’ve done well/been good considering the hype machine that was behind her, but I don’t think it would’ve lasted much longer than that, especially with Adele coming and taking all the glory a few years later.

Unfortunately the drugs and booze were synonymous with Amy from the moment she got famous, so imagining her and a continued successful career without them is a tough one. She was known more for that than the music by the end.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno - her music has demonstrated pretty stubborn staying power. It's not solely popular just to who she was and how she died.

Not solely, but her persona brought her music to life. 

She was pretty much the most famous person in the country at the time, front pages of newspapers every other day etc. 

When you go out at the top, before the public has a chance to lose interest in you, it changes the perception of your work. 

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Not solely, but her persona brought her music to life. 

She was pretty much the most famous person in the country at the time, front pages of newspapers every other day etc. 

When you go out at the top, before the public has a chance to lose interest in you, it changes the perception of your work. 

She was the most famous person in the country five years on from her breakthrough album then? She wasn’t going to fade away, clearly.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, Hugh Jass said:

This thread has got me wondering who or what the ultimate eFests sacred cow is... Taylor? Radiohead? The Stones 2013? The National? (Surprised no-one has gone after them yet).

Given me an idea for 22’s Hurt/Heal if it all gets banjaxed again next year...

I love The National, but they really don't work on outdoor stages in the light. The sub set was really under par. 

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She was the most famous person in the country five years on from her breakthrough album then? She wasn’t going to fade away, clearly.

Public would have lost interest sooner or later. Without the rock and roll persona, the music was just OK. 

As @mattiloypointed out, Dido had more success than Amy musically, but nobody gives a fuck now, because her music was bland as hell. 

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Famous for being a trainwreck and the ‘will she/when will she/won’t she’ talk of a follow up album. 

Like I said, her star was soon to be eclipsed by Adele for doing a similar but arguably more commercial thing. I think Amy’s next album would’ve done really well commercially initially, but people already had their new star, and this one actually pumped out hits/albums and wasn’t more famous for being an addict.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Famous for being a trainwreck and the ‘will she/when will she/won’t she’ talk of a follow up album. 

Like I said, her star was soon to be eclipsed by Adele for doing a similar but arguably more commercial thing. I think Amy’s next album would’ve done really well commercially initially, but people already had their new star, and this one actually pumped out hits/albums and wasn’t more famous for being an addict.

The Adele thing is a bit apples and oranges tbh.  I'm not sure that their careers were a zero sum game.