Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying I don't enjoy myself at Glastonbury or have a blast. But post-fest memories definitely filter out the bits you didn't and magnify the bits you did.

That’s pretty much what I’m getting at too.

One of the few times I’ve genuinely not enjoyed it was the Friday in 2019. I don’t do well in the heat and it was just too fucking hot! Spent most of the day trying to find shade and then not leaving that shade once I found it. Barely saw anyone all day (except for Lauren Hill and she was terrible). By the time the evening came and it cooled down I was pretty much done for the day. Couldn’t get into anything and just wandered between the main stages watching a little bit of acts before getting bored and wandering off.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sometimes I feel I enjoy the build-up to the festival - the speculation, the chat on here, the lineup drops, trawling through clashfinders... more than the actual festival itself.

Yeah I can see where you’re coming from with this. There’s definitely times over the festival where things annoy me, whether it’s people, crowds, weather or camping. The build-up doesn’t really have any of that, it’s just pure excitement about what’s ahead. There’s no real downside to the build-up whereas the festival is real so has a lot more highs and lows. 

The festival is undoubtedly better, the build-up is just a great addition that goes alongside it, but I can see why the build-up might feel more enjoyable at times for anyone. 

10 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Ringo is 100% the worst Beatle. His songs are trash and he can't play the drums to save himself.

I always liked the semi famous Lennon response when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world:- 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the beatles.'  Found out this morning that he didn't even fucking say it. It was all a lie. I'm irrationally annoyed by this.

10 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Saw a Radiohead cover band at a festival last night and I legged it to the food area pretty quick.

In Utero is the superior album.

Chalmers is out here spitting truths left and right!

ACDC are absolute shit and you cannot change my mind.

Ringo is 100% the worst Beatle. His songs are trash and he can't play the drums to save himself.

Macklemore has some absolute bops.

While I appreciate Princesses as one of the most talented artists of his day, I'm really not fussed on his music.

Last Christmas by Wham! is the worst Christmas song. All I Want For Christmas is fine in small doses.

What I wouldn't give to be able to run away from a Radiohead covers band right now.

24 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I always liked the semi famous Lennon response when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world:- 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the beatles.'  Found out this morning that he didn't even fucking say it. It was all a lie. I'm irrationally annoyed by this.

Alternatively, it's always an amusing self-own when people trot this one out. 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Alternatively, it's always an amusing self-own when people trot this one out. 

Think that's why I'm annoyed as I've told this anecdote umpteen times over the years... now having to go through my phone book apologising for the misinformation.

21 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I thought they were great. If the sun had been shining, I reckon everyone would have said they smashed it.

I really enjoyed it and think it was a good change of pace for the Sunday legend slot, which has become a bit too cheesy for my liking.

I don't think they were ever going to smash it no matter what the weather as they probably aren't what most people are looking for in a Sunday legend slot and aren't in the mainstream consciousness the way a Kylie Minogue or Dolly Parton is.

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I really enjoyed it and think it was a good change of pace for the Sunday legend slot, which has become a bit too cheesy for my liking.

I don't think they were ever going to smash it no matter what the weather as they probably aren't what most people are looking for in a Sunday legend slot and aren't in the mainstream consciousness the way a Kylie Minogue or Dolly Parton is.

Thing is though the festival leant heavily into that cheesy party vibe, and I’m all for taking an hour out of my Sunday to get down to the likes of Dolly or Lionel.

There’s an expectation now that the slot is a party, ELO were never going to fit that vibe.