Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

15 hours ago, Homer said:

I lasted two songs before I legged it to Dizzee (I seem to have form here!).

Saw a Radiohead cover band at a festival last night and I legged it to the food area pretty quick.

15 hours ago, MrHew said:

Never did and still don't rate Nevermind as an album.

In Utero is the superior album.

15 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Live hip-hop (with a band) seldom works.

15 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I despise traditional country music.

Chalmers is out here spitting truths left and right!

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Let's have fun now that the smiting system has been turned off.

ACDC are absolute shit and you cannot change my mind.

Ringo is 100% the worst Beatle. His songs are trash and he can't play the drums to save himself.

Macklemore has some absolute bops.

While I appreciate Princesses as one of the most talented artists of his day, I'm really not fussed on his music.

Last Christmas by Wham! is the worst Christmas song. All I Want For Christmas is fine in small doses.

13 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Once the novelty factor wears off both Folklore and Evermore are distinctly average records (albeit with some high points on each). 

This. I got myself caught up in the hype for Folklore due to The National connection but found myself enjoying it less and less with every listen, to the point I only really listen to Cardigan now. Evermore left me feeling meh after one spin.

13 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

'Africa' by Toto is shite and it's surge in popularity in recent years is because it's became a meme rather than the quality (or lack of it) of the track itself.

Yup. Rosanna is a far superior song for the drumming alone. I saw Toto live a couple of years ago and the two openers (Dragon and Jefferson Starship) were better.

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In a perfect world the rona would have kept him permanently off the airwaves.

I listen to 6music every day while working and would get annoyed by Lammo's show on a daily basis. My genuine new year's resolution was to switch him off and put something else on when 4pm comes round. Has worked well so far in terms of improving my life.

Don't think I have that many controversial options, but I agree that Rolling Stones have better songs than The Beatles.

The Bends is my favourite Radiohead album, though.

Muse are probably the worst band I can think of, early or late, but that appears to be quite a mainstream point of view.

9 hours ago, Quark said:

If we're honest, we will all retrospectively convince ourselves that we had a better time at Glastonbury than we actually did at the time.

Yes, oh my god, yes. 

I'm a big fan of the Ricky Gervais podcasts/Karl Pilkington, and I often find myself agreeing with some of Karl's ridiculed theories. In particular there's one where he's unfairly maligned by Ricky and Steve for saying that he doesn't "enjoy things at the time, it's after". He's specifically talking about holidays but for me it immediately resonated with Glastonbury. 

Thinking back to 2016, in particular, it was hellish, to the point I had a mini breakdown on Saturday afternoon just because of how burnt out I felt. But if someone asks me about it now, all I can say is how a party I had at Underworld on the Friday, CHVRCHES on the Sat and LCD on the Sunday. Sure, it was a mudbath but hey, it's part of the fun! - That's a mental, gaslighting take when I try to think about it objectively. A self-own if you will. And I am bang to rights on it every year.

14 hours ago, Quark said:

Show your workings 

Hendrix + The Beatles x Berry Gordy and Motown + The Hollies + Creedence Clearwater Revival + Toots and the Maytals + The Rolling Stones + Mannfred Mann + (70%) Elvis Presley + The Supremes + the creation of hard and psychedelic rock + Sam Cooke + The Pretty Things + Canned Heat + Janis Joplin + The Velvet Underground + MC5 + (15%) Pink Floyd + the birth of festival culture x Monterey x Woodstock - Altamont + Jefferson Airplane + Frank Sinatra + Beach Boys + Ray Charles + The Byrds + The Kinks + (10%) Led Zeppelin + Dick Dale + Trojan Records + The Sonics + Joe Meek + Smokey Robinson and the Miracles + The Upsetters + The Stooges x (30%) Black Sabbath + Aretha Franklin + The Doors + Marvin Gaye + The Temptations + Bob Dylan x the concept of protest rock + The 13th Floor Elevators + Desmond Dekker + The Who + James Brown.

7 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

This. I got myself caught up in the hype for Folklore due to The National connection but found myself enjoying it less and less with every listen, to the point I only really listen to Cardigan now. Evermore left me feeling meh after one spin.

Maybe it's the The National connection that's the issue?

35 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yes, oh my god, yes. 

I'm a big fan of the Ricky Gervais podcasts/Karl Pilkington, and I often find myself agreeing with some of Karl's ridiculed theories. In particular there's one where he's unfairly maligned by Ricky and Steve for saying that he doesn't "enjoy things at the time, it's after". He's specifically talking about holidays but for me it immediately resonated with Glastonbury. 

Thinking back to 2016, in particular, it was hellish, to the point I had a mini breakdown on Saturday afternoon just because of how burnt out I felt. But if someone asks me about it now, all I can say is how a party I had at Underworld on the Friday, CHVRCHES on the Sat and LCD on the Sunday. Sure, it was a mudbath but hey, it's part of the fun! - That's a mental, gaslighting take when I try to think about it objectively. A self-own if you will. And I am bang to rights on it every year.

100% with this too.

While I’m there I sometimes have to convince myself I’m having a great time. There’s a lot I don’t like - the mud or heat, the massive crowds, the growing number of dickheads every year, the fucking camping...

Every year I get home thinking “I’m done for a while now, gonna take a few years out” and yet as the months roll by my brain filters out all the negatives and focuses only on the positives and by the time October comes round I’m chomping at the bit to go again.