Album Club - Week 1

EighteenSixty7

Album Club Week 1 - What are your ratings?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Album 1

2. 2. Album 2

Feel pretty similar to lots of the points already made. Had no prior exposure to either album or act. 
I listened to LEG first, and whilst I didn’t dislike it, I felt no affinity to it and can’t see myself listening to either the album or the act again. I wouldn’t leave a stage if they were playing at Glastonbury, but I definitely wouldn’t seek them out either. 
Akua Naru is far more intriguing and I enjoyed the album. Made It intro gave me real Kendrick Lamar vibes which I loved. 
I won’t rush to re-listen but I think I would make more of an effort to see live if a friend wanted to go with, or clash permitting at a festival.  

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of a formatted response,  critique as muted. Questions such as ,' would I got to see them at the festival's become Bull if we are talking about a classic album or one from a past era where the artist would be too old now to perform. Or are we now just putting up ' new' artists.

1 hour ago, ghandi said:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of a formatted response,  critique as muted. Questions such as ,' would I got to see them at the festival's become Bull if we are talking about a classic album or one from a past era where the artist would be too old now to perform. Or are we now just putting up ' new' artists.

I'd think of them more as an optional framework if you want to use them to give your thoughts some structure 🙂

Thanks for letting me get involved even though I was slightly late to the party. Always love listening and discovering new artists/music old and new so this will be perfect and good fun. I think it’ll open me up to completely new genres too. 

Like the format of questions so my thoughts on both albums below.

Let's Eat Grandma
Was it horrific?
No.

Did it sound as I expected?
Not really, wasn’t sure what I was expecting but better than I thought. 

Overall thoughts
Really enjoyed the album apart from the last track as I thought that was a little too long for an end of the album track. Really rated Ava. Reminds me of some other artists that I really enjoy. 

Would I watch them at a festival?
Yes.

Would I listen to it again?
Yes.

Will I investigate them further?
I’ll try!

Score out of 5

Akua Naru
Was it horrific?
No.

Did it sound as I expected?
Thought it would be more of a soul album but I got a lot more rap influence from the album than expected. 

Overall thoughts
It was okay. Not really my thing though. 

Would I watch them at a festival?
Only if I was already at the stage and chilling in the sun.

Would I listen to it again?
No.

Will I investigate them further?
No.

Score out of 5

I was already familiar with LEG and happy to re-listen to it as I haven't in a long time. 

Would I go and see them? It would depend on clashes but yes sure. 

Would I check out new material? Yes I try and listen to as many new releases as I can anyway

Akua Naru  -The Blackest Joy I had never heard of. I enjoyed it but it did feel like there were a few dips perhaps would have been an even better album if it was a couple of songs shorter. 

My answers for the other questions are the same. I'm not sure I would pay to go to a concert for either of them but at a festival given the right circumstances I could happily sit down in front of both. 

Been a fan of the Let’s Eat Grandma album since its release and it’s a solid 4/5 for me, and could even be swayed to go all the way to 5 depending on my mood. Went to a small indoor festival a couple of years back where they were the headliner and thought they were great fun live too - would definitely go see them if they were playing another festival I was at in the future.

First I’ve heard of Akua Naru but I was pleasantly surprised. Like a few people here I was expecting it to go in more of an RnB direction but I really liked the hip hop style and agree with a comment above that it’s got an air of Common about it. Lost my attention a little bit at the end so I could probably do with cutting out a few tracks, but overall pretty good, and certainly an act I’d check out at a festival if I had a gap in my schedule. 3/5

Nice to start this off with two albums I was unfamiliar with - having given both a couple of listens, some thoughts:

Let's Eat Grandma - I'm way, way, more into the second half of this album than the first. After one go through thought it might have been a case of not having 'warmed up' to their sound, but second listen confirmed it. Those spaced-out, dreamy closing three tracks, Cool & Collected into Ava into Donnie Darko, mmmm, yes please, whereas Hot Pink especially I found really quite irritating and don't ever need to hear again.

Akua Naru - hmmmmm. There's definitely something there, but for whatever reason it never quite clicked with me properly, although its perfectly possible that I'll come back through it at some point in the future and it will. Personal standout currently was Kaya, very into that production and beat.

Album 1 - I'm All Ears

4/5

Something different to what I'd usually listen to with a variety of sounds within the album. SOme really good and interesting moments within the album, bookended by a brilliant first and last track.

Favourite tracks - Whitewater, It's Not Just Me, Cool & Collected and Donnie Darko

Album 2 - The Blackest Joy

4/5

Right up my street in terms of genre and sound and I'd never heard of it before. LIke I said before it gives me Common vibes and there's some really catchy parts to the album ontop of the head nodding throughough. The hook to Serena being particularly one part that sticks

Favourite tracks - Serena, My Mother's Daughter, (Love) RIght Now, The Offering

-----

A very good first week in my opinion and the response has been fantastic 🙂

I hadn't heard of either albums before this thread and I would've said they were 3s on first listen but as the week progressed I got a bit bored with the Akua Naru album despite her album suiting my musical tastes more on paper. I think she's talented but there was nothing grabbed me and I found myself listening for the sake of listening and trying to find something to grab me. I will keep an ear out for her in the future but it's unlikely I'll give this album another listen. 

LEG on the other hand has grown and grown on me as the weeks gone by and gone from a generous 3 to a solid 4.  Will definitely have the album on rotation for a while and I'll be keeping an eye out for their future releases.  Can definitely see them at Glastonbury next year, John Peel hopefully, and I will make an effort to see them if they are.

Ok here’s my reviews

Akua Naru. Perfect Sunday morning potter round the house music, pretty chilled, relaxed but with a lot going on, happy to listen again... but it’s not essential. Enjoyable 3/5.

Lets Eat Grandma. A great set of pop songs, easy to listen to but not particularly complex. A younger me would have easily dismissed this album. Now I’d happily listen, but I wouldn’t seek it out 3/5

Would I see them on the farm? Yes to both, but they’d lose out a) in a clash situation. or b) I had to walk a long distance in a short space of time to catch either.

Solid 2 albums, which I’m glad to have had opportunity to listen to.