Album Club - Week 1

EighteenSixty7

Album Club Week 1 - What are your ratings?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Album 1

2. 2. Album 2

Album 1

Let%E2%80%99s%20Eat%20Grandma:%20I'm%20A

Album
I'm All Ears by Let's Eat Grandma

Tracklist
1. Whitewater
2. Hot Pink
3. It's Not Just Me
4. Falling Into Me
5. Snakes & Ladders
6. Missed Call (1)
7. I Will Be Waiting
8. The Cat's Pyjamas
9. Cool & Collected
10. Ava
11. Donnie Darko

Picked by

@kingcrawler

"I wasn't too sure whether to go with a classic album or something new so I've just gone for one of

my favourite albums of the last few years. I was going to be quite on brand and pick

something miserable sounding but we could all do with a fun album at the moment.

I think it's a really exciting and ambitious pop album that I knew a few of us really enjoyed

when it came out in 2018."

Album 2

R-11794010-1522922372-4400.jpeg.jpg

Album
The Blackest Joy - Akua Naru

Tracklist
1. Black Genius
2. Sweat
3. Serena
4. My Mother's Daughter
5. Made It
6. (Love) Right Now
7. Joy
8. Kaya
9. The Offering
10. Baldwin's Crown
11. Black Future
12. Made It - Bonus Track

Picked by

@Sundance

"I've chosen this album because she is an amazing hip hop/spoken word artist who I was originally

introduced by this forum before Glasto 2017. Someone recommended that I listen to her song

How Does It Feel (have a listen - but be prepared to need a cold shower afterwards!)
and from there I went down a complete rabbit hole and became obsessed.

Her album The Journey Aflame is actually my favourite and as far
as I'm concerned a masterpiece, but unfortunately it's not available on Spotify etc.

(check it out on youtube if you're interested).

The Blackest Joy is topical and moving and powerful. The album itself is constructed

really well, but for me her lyrics are the real genius. You'll find something new on each listen.

I've been lucky enough to see her live a few times now but I would jump at the chance to
see her again and thoroughly recommend everyone else does the same. Her shows are

intimate and moving, but also completely uplifting. Absolute magic.

I could wax lyrical for ages about her as you can tell! Hope everyone enjoys."

----------

Welcome to Week 1 of Album Club!

I've added a poll out of 5 for each album, we'll see how they go and if people like them.

Feel free to add any sugestions as the weeks go by.

I'll PM the next 2 people sometime next week 🙂

Enjoy!

Edited by EighteenSixty7
Formatting looked off
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

I like this a lot. Haven't listened to the LEG album for a while so be good to revisit, and never heard of Akua Naru!

Yep I’m in the same boat for both albums.

Good stuff! Got a lot of new stuff to get through today but nothing but time the rest of the week so look forward to getting stuck in to both of these. 

Nice. 

LEG I still listen to pretty regularly, in fact @kingcrawler's description of it being a favourite album of the last few years is bang on the money. Still, I'll happily use it as an excuse to spin it again today.

Haven't heard of the other at all so looking forward to giving it a go.

Was supposed to see them supporting Chvrches at Ally Pally a couple of years ago with Mrs Q, but we were due to travel to Bruges on the train the next morning and she realised she'd left her passport at home.  She had to leg it back home to get it, managed to see the main act but missed the support! I was mildly grumpy...

Just now, Quark said:

Was supposed to see them supporting Chvrches at Ally Pally a couple of years ago with Mrs Q, but we were due to travel to Bruges on the train the next morning and she realised she'd left her passport at home.  She had to leg it back home to get it, managed to see the main act but missed the support! I was mildly grumpy...

They played YES' big opening bash a couple of years ago and it ended up being watching Lets Eat Grandma troubleshoot YES' sound issues for 40 minutes to a packed audience ahah, think they managed to get a song out in the end.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Love LEG and this album still gets regular plays from me, the description for album 2 sounds great, looking forward to giving them both a bit of time this weekend. 

great format @EighteenSixty7, top work. Is there a cut off point to vote or anything?

No the vote will stay open, however there was an option in the Poll to have it close on a certain date if we want to do that going forward

3 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Great 2 albums I've never listened to! Will provide my feedback in a couple of days. Thanks for organising!

EDIT: Also does anyone fancy making a Spotify playlist to gradually add to while we go through this?

I'll be adding the albums to a long running playlist, it'll be in next weeks post and then on 🙂

19 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I listened to the Let's Eat Grandma loads when it first came out - still gutted I missed that 2am Rabbit Hole set in 2019.

Unless I am completely wrong, I don't think the Rabbit Hole set happened as they had problems again like they did earlier in the day at Williams Green (which thankfully they sorted and ended up being excellent) Anyway, I'm All Ears is one of my favourite albums in recent years so a definite 5 from me but will have to listen to the other before submitting votes.

Need to listen to Akua Naru a few more times. I listen to very little hip hop and similar so my ears just aren't tuned to that vocal style and I find it hard to follow. But after 2 listens while painting a spare room last night I really feel like this is one worth persevering with. Lovely sound regardless, but I think the lyrics could well elevate it up a score for me.