Post Reactions - What's your opinion?

Post Reactions - What's your view?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What would we like to happen with the reaction system?

• Reinstate the old system
    • Don't have any post reactions
    • Bring back the ability to upvote but remove downvoting
    • A different system - Please give further details

2 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

I'm active on another forum that went through the exact same situation.

Had up and down thumbs - it caused issues.

Got rid of them - some wanted upvotes back.

Brought just upvotes back - been absolutely fine ever since.

So yes, bring back upvotes, but not downvotes.

I agree with this, interesting to hear how it went on another forum. 

8 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

I'm active on another forum that went through the exact same situation.

Had up and down thumbs - it caused issues.

Got rid of them - some wanted upvotes back.

Brought just upvotes back - been absolutely fine ever since.

So yes, bring back upvotes, but not downvotes.

Yep agree if someone wants to disagree they can still do it a verbal way / text and this encourages discussion rather than any other negative stuff 

I’m on gaming forum that uses the same software as this so I have a little knowledge on what is and isn’t possible with the reaction system. 

On that forum there’s quite a few different reactions that add to your reputation score but none that take it away. 

Personally I find that downvoting adds a toxic element to discussions. Plenty of threads have been derailed by people arguing over someone being downvoted. 

The positive reactions are great, they really brighten up your day when someone gives you an upvote or a ❤️

I’d like to see a system where people can upvote but not downvote, if someone wants to disagree with your post then there could be a reaction that has a neutral effect so you can use but it doesn’t affect their reputation total. A symbol like 🤦‍♂️ or 👎 would work. Maybe both. 

This would stop those trolls who have been going around downvoting people needlessly. There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone but there have been quite a few instances of people using the old system maliciously.

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m on gaming forum that uses the same software as this so I have a little knowledge on what is and isn’t possible with the reaction system. 

On that forum there’s quite a few different reactions that add to your reputation score but none that take it away. 

Personally I find that downvoting adds a toxic element to discussions. Plenty of threads have been derailed by people arguing over someone being downvoted. 

The positive reactions are great, they really brighten up your day when someone gives you an upvote or a ❤️

I’d like to see a system where people can upvote but not downvote, if someone wants to disagree with your post then there could be a reaction that has a neutral effect so you can use but it doesn’t affect their reputation total. A symbol like 🤦‍♂️ or 👎 would work. Maybe both. 

This would stop those trolls who have been going around downvoting people needlessly. There’s nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone but there have been quite a few instances of people using the old system maliciously.

This a good post describing the issue. 

I know I’ll be labelled precious or sensitive but people have been using downvotes in a way that’s just to get at people (inc me). So if we can have a system that shares positive reactions around and takes away the trolling of the downvotes then that’s great. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder if those that aren’t bothered have used the feature then ... because if they genuinely aren’t bothered they wouldn’t have hit the arrow in either direction in the first place ... I’d say that more of us look at the feature than would care to admit it ... 

Oh Alex, come on now. Reminds me of this...

image.png.3a0c609e4f72752612dca36774eefbc6.png

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

My point is the type of argument, not the exact wording used in that comic....

My point still relates to the forum and not society ... so I’m confused over where you are going ? If it’s a feature you or anyone else make use of then it’s difficult to argue that you don’t care ... if you had not used the feature then that would be a very very valid point .... you can’t opt in or out of society ... so maybe another choice here would be clearer ?!  There are still various bits of society I choose to opt out of ... 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My point still relates to the forum and not society ... so I’m confused over where you are going ? If it’s a feature you or anyone else make use of then it’s difficult to argue that you don’t care ... if you had not used the feature then that would be a very very valid point .... you can’t opt in or out of society ... so maybe another choice here would be clearer ?!  There are still various bits of society I choose to opt out of ... 

Well my point is that just because someone may have used the reactions feature in the past, doesn't mean they are not allowed to express opinions that are indifferent to or against it. You can use something while still criticising it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It can be pretty nice to get upvotes. It can be pretty shit to get downvotes. But - unless perhaps i'm just a husk of a man with a stone heart now - it really is such a small feeling. If someones day is being made or broken by such things then damn, turn the screen off and find something else to do..

Edited by Gilgamesh69

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

It can be pretty nice to get upvotes. It can be pretty shit to get downvotes. But - unless perhaps i'm just a husk of a man with a stone heart now - it really is such a small feeling. If someones day is being made or broken by such things then damn, turn the screen off and find something else to do..

960F10B5-DE43-46D3-97BC-5FEA8637BCC4.jpeg

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder if those that aren’t bothered have used the feature then ... because if they genuinely aren’t bothered they wouldn’t have hit the arrow in either direction in the first place ... I’d say that more of us look at the feature than would care to admit it ... 

I never really downvote anyone that isn't selling kitchens and regularly run out of uovotes. I also quite like getting upvotes and wouldn't mind them back.

In the grand scheme of things though I'm not massively arsed and the internet points I received aren't what has kept me coming back, I'm on here to lobby for the cribs to headline Glastonbury, remind everyone the fall are the best band ever and pick up/pass on music recommendations.

I'm just one man though and I wasn't trying to project anything with my not arsedness, just seems like another case of we can't have nice things.

I can take or leave downvotes, but I think some way to positively react to a post is a good thing. It's nice to be able to acknowledge a good/funny/informative post without merely quoting it and adding a post to the thread which doesn't really further any discussion.

Edited by waltere
Typos

Do we know if there's a way to just get rid of them in the shit thread? That seems to be the only place that downvotes are used in a nasty or targeted way anyway as far as I can tell. Not arsed personally about receiving them but in the same way as waltere I like to acknowledge other people's posts for varying reason from time to time.

Think it was @dentalplanthat brought this up but upvotes cause people to change what they think and change what they write and believe for upvotes. Something should be added to acknowledge funny/good posts but whether it's the upvote system I dont know.

Taking it away solves more than it doesn't and people can speak freely without pivoting their opinions just to get a few upvotes. Keep it this way, find a way to acknowledge good posts. Sorted.

Though I dont think people care, people with a lot of downvotes will appear negatively to people, people can change from how they have been before and signalling how bad someones posts have been doesn't seem fair.

Though its a forum at the end of the day and its a common feature so I dont know but childish behaviour has caused this, like when the teacher says if someone does something the whole class have to stay for detention or lose a privilege.

9 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Think it was @dentalplanthat brought this up but upvotes cause people to change what they think and change what they write and believe for upvotes. Something should be added to acknowledge funny/good posts but whether it's the upvote system I dont know.

I agree that this is more relevant to why the voting system was removed than people downvoting each other being 'just not cricket.'  Although Neil ostensibly removed the voting system because of a minor handbag-fight on the Glastonbury Chat forum, his first comment when questioned mentioned 'cliqueyness.'  I've seen him mention this in the past, as well as giving people a bollocking when threads have descended into endless in-jokes.  I don't know whether removing up/down votes is the solution, but I agree that cliqueyness leads to forum death.  A voting system is surprisingly effective at making sure people conform to group norms, and clearly-established group norms make a forum less attractive to any newcomer who doesn't share them.

The reason I say I don't know whether removing up/down votes is the way forward is that the system also has a useful function, i.e. forcing people to self-police their own talking bollocks, keyboard-battling and trolling.  The Glastonbury chat forum is definitely now seeing a higher proportion of abrasive posts and people spreading misinformation etc.  The result of the voting system going might be a higher moderation workload, as uncontrolled handbag-swinging is also forum-death.

56 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

handbag-fight

56 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

handbag-swinging

That's made me laugh! 😄 beautifully sums it up as well as being funny!!

I think ultimately, non of us have control over the voting system its down to one man and one man only and regardless of the decision there's not much can do about it if we like it or not. If it doesnt return i wont be devastated, but i do enjoy pressing like instead of saying i like this, tho i can only do that 4 times a day.

Anyway, happy voting 🙂 

I voted option 3. I never took the upvote/downvote too seriously personally but would always upvote something I found funny. I only really used it for humorous posts as I try to stay away from political posts and the "shit end" thread. 

I guess my preference would be upvotes only come back, mainly as I don't want it to turn into WhatsApp where someone writes something then everyone else replies with laughing faces etc, clogging up the chat.