Worthy Farm CHEESE

GlastoEls

26 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

Did we ever hear about any winners from the first draw? 🤔

I’m onto it now ... just had an email back giving the adress to write too to get the winners list ... I’ll post it once I get it 

486D2DD9-ECB7-4812-8CD8-E92FB1257E5F.png

Edited by crazyfool1

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Still can’t find it in our co-op, anytime I pass a co-op I find an excuse to have a look in and see.  Plenty chat , understandably, of the draw but any comments on what it tastes like😁?

It’s a very nice mature cheddar, loads in my coop, I’m in Leicestershire 

5 hours ago, morph100 said:

It’s a very nice mature cheddar, loads in my coop, I’m in Leicestershire 

Fact (1) - terracotta gets its distinctive reddish hue from the amount of iron that it has which reacts to oxygen. 

Fact (2) - morphs such as yourself are made up of terracotta.

Fact(ish. As in not)(3) - You're a Red Leicester.

Fact (4) - I'm drained of energy, and have now had a smoke. It shows.

Fact (5) - I think I'll still press on for a while though.

Fact (6) - I don't really think you're a Red Leicester morph100.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fact (1) - terracotta gets its distinctive reddish hue from the amount of iron that it has which reacts to oxygen. 

Fact (2) - morphs such as yourself are made up of terracotta.

Fact(ish. As in not)(3) - You're a Red Leicester.

Fact (4) - I'm drained of energy, and have now had a smoke. It shows.

Fact (5) - I think I'll still press on for a while though.

Fact (6) - I don't really think you're a Red Leicester morph100.

When I was in french cheese shop in Paris they had a rare and expensive section, which had Red Leicester in it. We laughed and said this is the cheap stuff you put in your kids sandwiches for school, they said oh like Camembert and we laughed together.

Also in the hotel we asked where about a we were (meaning which bit of Paris), they replied you sir are in the lobby. 

who knew the French were so funny, especially in Paris where they have more of a grumpy reputation.

In a way, I wonder if the fact that no one is shouting about it on social media is a good thing. It might mean that is slips from people's minds a bit and fewer people enter the comp, thereby increasing your chances @crazyfool1!

@Ayrshire Chris it's very nice cheddar(coming from a Somerset girl!). Our local co-op stocks it so we get it most weeks, reasonably mature and a bit crumbly 🙂

15 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Still can’t find it in our co-op, anytime I pass a co-op I find an excuse to have a look in and see.  Plenty chat , understandably, of the draw but any comments on what it tastes like😁?

Its a fairly bog standard cheese. My cheese barometer is always on toast: is it a good and flavourful cheese thats suitable to be had on toast with no other accoutrements? no tabasco, marmite, worcester sauce? A very good cheese can rest on its own flavourful laurels. 

This cheese requires condiments. Its alright, but its not very good. I'll doubtless buy it again, because life cant always be about spectacular cheese, sometimes you need a yardstick of midtable cheese - but i wouldnt look forward to popping a few cubes into my maw. It doesnt completely hit the cheesy spot. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Its a fairly bog standard cheese. My cheese barometer is always on toast: is it a good and flavourful cheese thats suitable to be had on toast with no other accoutrements? no tabasco, marmite, worcester sauce? A very good cheese can rest on its own flavourful laurels. 

This cheese requires condiments. Its alright, but its not very good. I'll doubtless buy it again, because life cant always be about spectacular cheese, sometimes you need a yardstick of midtable cheese - but i wouldnt look forward to popping a few cubes into my maw. It doesnt completely hit the cheesy spot. 

Lol, did a double take when I read your penultimate sentence. As a Scot, maw is slang for your mother, didn't realise it was actually a proper word with a completely different meaning. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Lol, did a double take when I read your penultimate sentence. As a Scot, maw is slang for your mother, didn't realise it was actually a proper word with a completely different meaning. 

🤣🤣🤣 

5 hours ago, morph100 said:

When I was in french cheese shop in Paris they had a rare and expensive section, which had Red Leicester in it. We laughed and said this is the cheap stuff you put in your kids sandwiches for school, they said oh like Camembert and we laughed together.

Also in the hotel we asked where about a we were (meaning which bit of Paris), they replied you sir are in the lobby. 

who knew the French were so funny, especially in Paris where they have more of a grumpy reputation.

That's uncanny, as the best cheese I have ever tasted (without any doubt whatsoever) was a camembert bought in the outskirts of Paris - Orly to be precise. I'd gone there with friends for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, via a kind of budget horse racing travel company type thingy. Anyway, our hotel was in Orly and instead of taking an arranged trip in to the centre of Paris on the first day, me and my mates decided we'd go out on the lash in Orly instead. So we did do just that. By the time evening came we were getting hungry and needed food to mop up the copious amount of drink that had been taken. As we were walking from one hostelry to another, we came across a supermarket and bought fresh bread, butter, and two packages of camembert cheese. Now this camembert was like no other I had ever come across. The smell from it was mesmerising. It stank of a smell of old vegetables etc rotting away in an allotment compost. Hardly the best of starts we thought to ourselves. However, once we put it in our mouths, it was unanimously agreed that it tasted divine. If only I knew what that make of camembert was I would get some shipped over to me. 

As an aside, have you heard of the Durian Fruit? It's a Far Eastern fruit which apparently smells like human shit when cut open, but is, hailed as delicious to taste. I've been to the Far East a fair number of times now, but always bottled trying a go at tasting it / smelling it. Oh, and it is banned from being taken on public transport because of the smell.

i've had a bash of durian fruit - it smells (to me, anyways) like rotting rubbish, shit and petrol, all at the same time. It looks amazing and other-worldly though, its a massive cream coloured spiky ball, bigger than a basketball - its surprisingly heavy too. The taste was a bit nondescript to me, a little bit creamy, not really of very much. All things considered i'm glad i tried it, but wouldnt rush back 

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Thanks, so you saying it’s better than a baby bel and even possibly challenging the Westcombe cheddar also produced near Shepton Mallet!😁

as for  popping a cube in my maw I reckon that’s just a tad too far for me. As broad minded as I am I ain’t no cheese fetist with an Oedipus complex!😉

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

i've had a bash of durian fruit - it smells (to me, anyways) like rotting rubbish, shit and petrol, all at the same time. It looks amazing and other-worldly though, its a massive cream coloured spiky ball, bigger than a basketball - its surprisingly heavy too. The taste was a bit nondescript to me, a little bit creamy, not really of very much. All things considered i'm glad i tried it, but wouldnt rush back 

Thanks for that insight balti-pie. I very much mean to go back to the Far East again one day, and am determined to try it then, if it's available - and I get there, that is. 

14 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Excellent 5* review there... 

• 2 weeks later...