Worthy Farm CHEESE

GlastoEls

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I prefer grated tbh.....I put it down to grated having larger surface area and therefore stronger taste.  Needs to still be a little loose though, I can't bear it when it's had some pressure during packing and solidifies into lumps.

Am I overthinking cheese sandwiches?

Better than overeating them .... although in this case maybe not ...

15 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I prefer grated tbh.....I put it down to grated having larger surface area and therefore stronger taste.  Needs to still be a little loose though, I can't bear it when it's had some pressure during packing and solidifies into lumps.

I agree with all of this!!

9 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

OMG that looks so good!!

15 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Not at all. This shit's important.

It's a bit of a payoff between substance and flavour when you go slice vs grated.

Ideally I guess you could have a combination of the two, although that would only really work if you have a separating layer like lettuce (leaf rather than shredded) or cucumber between your cheeses.

Bread>butter>sliced cheese>lettuce>grated cheese>pickle>butter>bread

16 hours ago, parsonjack said:

What you're saying logically makes sense, but I often find grated cheese sandwiches taste a bit watered down. I always presumed it was companies trying to find a way to use less cheese without people noticing. Maybe I've just been eating the wrong grated cheese sandwiches as I did enjoy this one.

48 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

What you're saying logically makes sense, but I often find grated cheese sandwiches taste a bit watered down. I always presumed it was companies trying to find a way to use less cheese without people noticing. Maybe I've just been eating the wrong grated cheese sandwiches as I did enjoy this one.

This is very true....a grated cheese sandwich can look stuffed when actually the cheese content is only the same or less than a sliced content.  Choose wisely folks.

Just now, Wellyboot said:

You need to swap your sliced and grated round, so the grated cheese sticks to the butter and you don't drop as much

Disagree. If you're going to the trouble of doing both then the grated is there for its flavour contribution.  I'd argue to fulfil that role properly you want it at the top of the sandwich so it hits the roof of your mouth.

Also from a structural perspective you want the sliced at the bottom, otherwise it folds the sandwich out at the bottom as it presses down and you're actually more likely to spill grated.

Fuck, maybe I am overthinking this...

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

cheese needs to be at room temperature too ... 

No you psychopath!

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Disagree. If you're going to the trouble of doing both then the grated is there for its flavour contribution.  I'd argue to fulfil that role properly you want it at the top of the sandwich so it hits the roof of your mouth.

Also from a structural perspective you want the sliced at the bottom, otherwise it folds the sandwich out at the bottom as it presses down and you're actually more likely to spill grated.

Ok so bread, butter, sliced cheese, lettuce, pickle, grated, butter, bread. Final offer!

Also if its not lurpak I don't wannit, and it has to be spread about an inch thick 😊

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can I suggest:
Bread>butter>sliced cheese>pickle>lettuce>grated cheese>butter>bread

Then you satisfy @Welly Boot idea of using butter to make sure the grated cheese sticks, but you still get the benefits of the cheese slice being on the bottom and grated cheese on top.

2 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Can I suggest:
Bread>butter>sliced cheese>pickle>lettuce>grated cheese>butter>bread

Then you satisfy @Welly Boot idea of using butter to make sure the grated cheese sticks, but you still get the benefits of the cheese slice being on the bottom and grated cheese on top.

Snap! 

It's the best and only way. We have solved it 😊

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, grated above sliced is definitely more aesthetically pleasing too.