Jump to content

Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2022


kingcrawler
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Where is this dip coming from exactly? What evidence is there to suggest there will be one?

Said above that he’ll never do the numbers Sheeran did internationally because barely anyone will. Sheeran is a generational freak occurrence. Ezra will still easily be big enough to headline next time round.

It’s my belief that Ezra’s headlining status is on weaker ground than it seems. Having a fan base which solely relies on middle aged mums doesn’t necessarily guarantee a glasto headline slot, it may doom him to IOW headline/own gig headline forever. 

I say this because I think the younger fans of his have moved to Capaldi etc and he’s not been embraced by the music critiques. His career is going hard in the direction of appealing to Tesco mums and I think this is bad for his chances at headlining Glastonbury. I don’t think they feel like they desperately need to give him one, and they probably feel that if they just waited a bit he’d probably come round to subbing again.

I see it banded around that pop fans are fickle, but one man and his guitar fans are the most fickle of all. Hence the fact that Ed Sheeran has seemed to drop this and embrace pure pop to stay on top of the charts.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s my belief that Ezra’s headlining status is on weaker ground than it seems. Having a fan base which solely relies on middle aged mums doesn’t necessarily guarantee a glasto headline slot, it may doom him to IOW headline/own gig headline forever. 

I say this because I think the younger fans of his have moved to Capaldi etc and he’s not been embraced by the music critiques. His career is going hard in the direction of appealing to Tesco mums and I think this is bad for his chances at headlining Glastonbury. I don’t think they feel like they desperately need to give him one, and they probably feel that if they just waited a bit he’d probably come round to subbing again.

Why would his fans move? This is what I don’t understand, why is it a binary choice between buying a George Ezra record or a Lewis Capaldi one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why would his fans move? This is what I don’t understand, why is it a binary choice between buying a George Ezra record or a Lewis Capaldi one? 

You may not have seen the edit so pasted below. I just don’t think his career has longevity. If he comes back and does the exact same thing again it may be great news for his MOR mum fans but I can’t see it meaning much to everyday music listeners. I’m not saying this is anything other than my personal opinion, but he has no upwards trajectory, no diversification of his sound, and in my opinion will not get any bigger than he already is. I can’t see him becoming more global, I think the only way is down for him.

“I see it banded around that pop fans are fickle, but one man and his guitar fans are the most fickle of all. Hence the fact that Ed Sheeran has seemed to drop this and embrace pure pop to stay on top of the charts.”

Edited by Matt42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You may not have seen the edit so pasted below. I just don’t think his career has longevity. If he comes back and does the exact same thing again it may be great news for his MOR mum fans but I can’t see it meaning much to everyday music listeners. I’m not saying this is anything other than my personal opinion, but he has no upwards trajectory, no diversification of his sound, and in my opinion will not get any bigger than he already is. I can’t see him becoming more global, I think the only way is down for him.

“I see it banded around that pop fans are fickle, but one man and his guitar fans are the most fickle of all. Hence the fact that Ed Sheeran has seemed to drop this and embrace pure pop to stay on top of the charts.”

Eh? Sheeran has been farting out the exact same nonsense for three albums now. I was at his set and it all sounded exactly the same.

You seem desperate to find things that aren’t there. Ezra is massive and there is no reason to think the next album won’t just as big, if not bigger, than the previous ones. Yes after that people may well get bored and drift away, but I guarantee he will have headlined Glastonbury before that happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Eh? Sheeran has been farting out the exact same nonsense for three albums now. I was at his set and it all sounded exactly the same.

You seem desperate to find things that aren’t there. Ezra is massive and there is no reason to think the next album won’t just as big, if not bigger, than the previous ones. Yes after that people may well get bored and drift away, but I guarantee he will have headlined Glastonbury before that happens.

I was referring to Ed’s most recent work. I understand if you’ve not heard it. You don’t need to hear it just take my word for it that he’s gone solid pop and moved away from the guitar.

Fair enough I understand your view but I think it’s not as clear sailing for Ezra’s trajectory. I think COVID may have pushed his chances back as there will be larger acts waiting to play. Having to wait till 2023/2024 may be pretty bad for his chances I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was referring to Ed’s most recent work. I understand if you’ve not heard it. You don’t need to hear it just take my word for it that he’s gone solid pop and moved away from the guitar.

Fair enough I understand your view but I think it’s not as clear sailing for Ezra’s trajectory. I think COVID may have pushed his chances back as there will be larger acts waiting to play. Having to wait till 2023/2024 may be pretty bad for his chances I think. 

You see I’d look at it the other way, as long as the next record doesn’t flop he is the perfect booking for the festival. Homegrown talent and a first time headliner who has worked his way up through the ranks to top the Pyramid after another massively successful album…

We all agree that the festival needs new headliners, Ezra is now one of the next taxis off the rank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s my belief that Ezra’s headlining status is on weaker ground than it seems. Having a fan base which solely relies on middle aged mums doesn’t necessarily guarantee a glasto headline slot, it may doom him to IOW headline/own gig headline forever. 

I say this because I think the younger fans of his have moved to Capaldi etc and he’s not been embraced by the music critiques. His career is going hard in the direction of appealing to Tesco mums and I think this is bad for his chances at headlining Glastonbury. I don’t think they feel like they desperately need to give him one, and they probably feel that if they just waited a bit he’d probably come round to subbing again.

I see it banded around that pop fans are fickle, but one man and his guitar fans are the most fickle of all. Hence the fact that Ed Sheeran has seemed to drop this and embrace pure pop to stay on top of the charts.

Daughter and her bloke havr signed up for presales. 27 and 28. Not tesco mum or dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Daughter and her bloke havr signed up for presales. 27 and 28. Not tesco mum or dad.

I’m 20 and my housemates were talking about it too - mostly for Blossoms mind you (although we’ve decided to get resale a week before as its £55)

On the idea of fickle guitar fans, the TRSNMT comments when they swapped out Capaldi for Chems was a sight to behold (very strange choice too)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not at all. I think Ed is way bigger than Ezra can ever be. Ezra’s fame doesn’t extend far outside of the UK. I don’t think he’s going to become any more global than he is. His success completely rides on how much the UK public care about him. If he has a dip in his career he won’t recover.

He already had a dip when they botched his second album launch with a flop single, and had to start again six months later pretending it hadn’t happen. Recovered to be even bigger than he was when Budapest was inescapable. I’m not even a big fan but he’s firmly in the ‘elite Radio 1/Capital popstar’ category now. It’s literally not even a debate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unsure as to when and why "global" stardom became a metric for headlining. If an act is big enough in Britain to headline Glasto then it doesn't matter their standing in the rest of the world; there's plenty of acts who'd be nailed on headliners in various other countries around the world that wouldn't be here, and it's the same the other way round.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, waltere said:

Unsure as to when and why "global" stardom became a metric for headlining. If an act is big enough in Britain to headline Glasto then it doesn't matter their standing in the rest of the world; there's plenty of acts who'd be nailed on headliners in various other countries around the world that wouldn't be here, and it's the same the other way round.

Absolutely. And what do we even mean by it? Do we mean “is big in every country in the world”? Or do we mean “have cracked America”?

Obviously it’s totally subjective, but I wouldn’t have called Florence, Kasabian or Stormzy global stars when they headlined. Even if the concept can be defined, I don’t think it’s a prerequisite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

That band who won Eurovision 'Maneskin' are at a festival in Oslo on June 24th and then they don't have anything else listed.

Hopefully theyre fine with just being on The Pyramid at 4pm and not 8pm just cause they won Eurovision.

Edited by Suprefan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:


gigs on the Friday and Sunday. I would say they are unlikely to be playing. 

Glastonbury dates are 22 to 26

 

image.png.94b44335f48c38199bbf079a90bf96cb.png

 

So it looks like they are only busy on the Saturday of the festival (25th)

 

Also Courtney Barnett is support for a few of the gigs, so perhaps she might swing by the farm too, cos that's be amazing 🙂

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...