Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

3 hours ago, sisco said:

I think it’s all about who you place them with.  In a year with 2 strong headers then nobody outside of the efestivals community would bat an eyelid

I would 100% bat an eyelid at any year they book KOL. They can book much better.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He’d sub again if they asked nicely I think

I can’t see him ever headlining with the emergence of other acts such as Billie Eilish etc. As you say reckon he’d be quite happy subbing Sunday.  A good act for that spot and suits the general tv audience.  Bands like biffy and Mumfords I can see heading the other stage. Good alternatives for those who might not be as keen on the new contemporary acts. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I can’t see him ever headlining with the emergence of other acts such as Billie Eilish etc. As you say reckon he’d be quite happy subbing Sunday.  A good act for that spot and suits the general tv audience.  Bands like biffy and Mumfords I can see heading the other stage. Good alternatives for those who might not be as keen on the new contemporary acts. 

I’m going to be hesitant in saying that all he needs is a third album to headline. I think if this albums performance isn't set in stone. With new acts like Capaldi and Fender I do question how loyal Ezra’s fans are. Let's see.

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m going to be hesitant in saying that all he needs is a third album to headline. I think if this albums performance isn't set in stone. With new acts like Capaldi and Fender I do question how loyal Ezra’s fans are. Let's see.

Why would Capaldi or Fender stop his fans from buying his record? Do people only like one thing at a time?

There's no reason to think his next album won't be as big as the last one, which was fecking massive.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why would Capaldi or Fender stop his fans from buying his record? Do people only like one thing at a time?

There's no reason to think his next album won't be as big as the last one, which was fecking massive.

The point being that I question the loyalty of his fans now he's not the zeigist man with his guitar. In the same way that George’s career heated up when Ed tried to shed that title.

Edit - the main point being that if he just releases well received / strong albums now - but nothing to knock his career in to the tier above, I can’t see him headlining. I think he could be in a position where he’s doing sub duties for favours of the festival rather than being given his main gig.

Edited by Matt42

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The point being that I question the loyalty of his fans now he's not the zeigist man with his guitar. In the same way that George’s career heated up when Ed tried to shed that title.

Zeitgeist?? What the hell are you on about? You think anyone is buying George Ezra records because he’s part of some imaginary zeitgeist??

The people buying George Ezra records are the exact same people who buy Coldplay and Ed Sheeran records. Because he’s a nice, well spoken white dude with a guitar who makes pleasant enough songs. That stuff sells by the absolute truckload. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Zeitgeist?? What the hell are you on about? You think anyone is buying George Ezra records because he’s part of some imaginary zeitgeist??

The people buying George Ezra records are the exact same people who buy Coldplay and Ed Sheeran records. Because he’s a nice, well spoken white dude with a guitar who makes pleasant enough songs. That stuff sells by the absolute truckload. 

100%. As long as it's not some weird pivot into grindcore or something then a 3rd George Ezra album is going to be everywhere, it's going to be on in the background at a million barbeques, it's going to have a couple of tracks that soundtrack shitloads of montages and adverts, it's going to be bought en masse by mums at Tesco who buy 3-4 albums a year etc.

Never underestimate the wider British public's inexplicable love for vanilla white dudes playing vaguely inoffensive guitar music.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

In a nutshell! And appeals to the wider tv audience that watches the festival from home. (Unless it’s those unfortunate enough not to get a ticket).  Having said that he would fill the field and even those sceptical tend to enjoy it and the party atmosphere it can create.  Bit like me and guilty pleasures like the proclaimers and bootleg beatles!

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

4 minutes ago, waltere said:

100%. As long as it's not some weird pivot into grindcore or something then a 3rd George Ezra album is going to be everywhere, it's going to be on in the background at a million barbeques, it's going to have a couple of tracks that soundtrack shitloads of montages and adverts, it's going to be bought en masse by mums at Tesco who buy 3-4 albums a year etc.

Never underestimate the wider British public's inexplicable love for vanilla white dudes playing vaguely inoffensive guitar music.

Precisely. If you want to shift a billion records you don’t chase zeitgeists or Spotify streams or anything like that. You go after the nation’s mums. That’s how Sheeran did it and that’s what Ezra is doing. It’s a more powerful force than all the TikTok videos and viral marketing in the world put together.

Ezra, Sheeran and Coldplay have all pulled off the impressive trick of making music that’s played on the likes of XFM/Absolute, Radio 1 and 2 and the likes of Magic/Heart. Their music has such a broad appeal it gets played everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

In a nutshell! And appeals to the wider tv audience that watches the festival from home. (Unless it’s those unfortunate enough not to get a ticket).  Having said that he would fill the field and even those sceptical tend to enjoy it and the party atmosphere it can create.  Bit like me and guilty pleasures like the proclaimers and bootleg beatles!

He’s not my bag at all, but I saw a bit of his sub slot on the BBC highlights package and he drew a huge and enthusiastic crowd. I was convinced he was a future headliner after seeing that.

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He’s not my bag at all, but I saw a bit of his sub slot on the BBC highlights package and he drew a huge and enthusiastic crowd. I was convinced he was a future headliner after seeing that.

He’s played the Pyramid twice and it’s been rammed both times. He’s almost as nailed to headline on his third album as Sheeran was on his. He even has the ‘played the Introducing Stage on the way up’ narrative factor, just like Ed did. The only thing that may prevent him doing it is who else they’ve booked. Ezra and Eilish appeal to different crowds but that wouldn’t matter to the people who love a moan on the Facebook pages. That would still only mean him doing it in 2023 rather than 2022 though.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

6 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Killers got booked after tearing the arse roof off John Peel though. The band said it was the loudest set they'd ever done and the Eavises, iirc, mentally locked it in on the spot.

Leaving aside the enduring popularity of early Killers tunes in ways that vastly outstrip KoL's peak, Brandon's resilience as a media presence, yadda yadda — would KoL get the same reaction from a secret set? I don't think they would.

No they didn't. They got booked as it was an easy booking for a replacement band and they aren't saying no.

31 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

He’s played the Pyramid twice and it’s been rammed both times. He’s almost as nailed to headline on his third album as Sheeran was on his. He even has the ‘played the Introducing Stage on the way up’ narrative factor, just like Ed did. The only thing that may prevent him doing it is who else they’ve booked. Ezra and Eilish appeal to different crowds but that wouldn’t matter to the people who love a moan on the Facebook pages. That would still only mean him doing it in 2023 rather than 2022 though.

Yeah agreed, he’s nailed on for 23 IMO. People finding excuses for him just subbing again smacks of “I don’t like him so he shouldn’t headline”.

He’s treading the exact same path Earnest Ed did.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This is the worry — if we lose all of our original 2020 trio (big if, still unconfirmed), expecting them to collectively roll over to 2023 hits a snag when you've got the likes of Ezra waiting patiently.

I still think Ezra would be a very large sub for a Macca-sized veteran rather than a headliner, should Glasto have a surplus of options to play with in a year's time.

Kendrick, Ezra, Taylor is believable though.

I had no idea Ezra Furman had become so popular 😄

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Kendrick, Ezra, Taylor is believable though.

My worry would be that the festival has missed the boat on Kendrick and the next record puts him out of their reach.

Could easily imagine a trio of Ezra, Taylor and some sort of large heritage act, maybe Fleetwood Mac if they’ve got their shit together again by that point.

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

As you're the burgeoning authority on Furman's George's prospects: do you think he'll crossover globally with a Shape Of You sized hit? Does he need one?

Out of my wheelhouse, but I guess Shotgun is on par with The A Team/Thinking Out Loud in terms of anodyne ubiquity. Ed was definitely a bigger worldwide star at the time of his headline set though, and he's only bolstered that rep since. Not that you need to be big outside the UK, just doting on it.

The idea of geriatric Fleetwood replacing Kendrick is a dim prospect.

He’s definitely not as big as Sheeran was pre-third album. He’s missing the sold out Wembley run, and his album sales are ‘only’ 4x platinum rather than 12x. But you don’t need to be as big as Ed Sheeran was in 2017 to headline Glastonbury - almost nobody is. And demographically he’s probably more of a Glastonbury fit than Ed was - his fanbase is mostly Tesco Mum whereas Ed at that stage was still fairly popular with teenagers.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

As you're the burgeoning authority on Furman's George's prospects: do you think he'll crossover globally with a Shape Of You sized hit? Does he need one?

Out of my wheelhouse, but I guess Shotgun is on par with The A Team/Thinking Out Loud in terms of anodyne ubiquity. Ed was definitely a bigger worldwide star at the time of his headline set though, and he's only bolstered that rep since. Not that you need to be big outside the UK, just doting on it.

The idea of geriatric Fleetwood replacing Kendrick is a dim prospect.

He’s already had some massive hits - Budapest, Shotgun, Paradise were all everywhere. It’s a safe bet to assume that the first single back will be similarly massive too.