Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

13 minutes ago, Col!n said:

Is it a coincidence that Elton's team have dropped these dates on the first day Glasto would be, or are we getting some sort of announcement this weekend? Most likely a coincidence, but would be some hugely welcomed (and unexpectedly early) news to raise spirits and confidence for the return of festivals.

It would be in their interest to get attention and excitement up as much as possible during the time the government are consulting on indemnity insurance. It would add to the pressure for the government not to fuck it up or be seen to let down millions of live music fans. 

"The Final Tour will make stops in Europe in major cities such as Milan and Paris before shows in Norwich, Liverpool, Sunderland and Swansea next June as well as a night at Ashton Gate Stadium, on Wednesday, 22 June. The Ashton Gate show will be the last time Elton ever performs in the South West of England on tour."

From an Ashton Gate Events email...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Col!n said:

I'll be absolutely delighted if Elton is playing, that's got me really excited actually.

Is it a coincidence that Elton's team have dropped these dates on the first day Glasto would be, or are we getting some sort of announcement this weekend? Most likely a coincidence, but would be some hugely welcomed (and unexpectedly early) news to raise spirits and confidence for the return of festivals.

Nothing like having a headliner that plays 'GOOD Music'. Really hoping you get the reference.

• Like 1

Just now, cwaite123 said:

"The Final Tour will make stops in Europe in major cities such as Milan and Paris before shows in Norwich, Liverpool, Sunderland and Swansea next June as well as a night at Ashton Gate Stadium, on Wednesday, 22 June. The Ashton Gate show will be the last time Elton ever performs in the South West of England on tour."

On tour. Is a festival a tour date?

6 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Well it’s definitely part of a tour. Doesn’t sound too promising, but equally we’ve seen these exclusivity things broken before. Probably just a marketing thing though, since Glastonbury is sold out anyway it’s effectively your only chance to see him in the SW

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Dunno. But I wouldn't even argue that point, as the wording likely doesn't matter.

It's from an Ashton Gate events email - probably written by some temp who's been asked to write a blurb with no information to hand other than the dates and the knowledge that it's the final tour. 2+2=4, or 22 - and we'll find out which it is much later. Doubt it can be taken to signify anything in either direction.

Just now, jamie_90 said:

Might be a bit much, but I remember there being some discussion/rumours on here about the chance of there being a Thursday night headliner. I wonder if that could give us the original 3 plus dearest Reg? I know I'm being greedy but...

I don’t think that was ever more than baseless speculation. Pretty sure getting the licensing for such a thing would be nigh on impossible, even after two years off.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think that was ever more than baseless speculation. Pretty sure getting the licensing for such a thing would be nigh on impossible, even after two years off.

Yes.

They can't do it for quite a few separate reasons - the most prominent being that they're outright not allowed to put music on the Pyramid (or most of the other larger stages) on the Thursday, and even if they were allowed to use the stage they'd need to dramatically increase the noise limits to be able to run at a workable volume.

Any change to either of those restrictions would meet some serious local resistance, and there's never been any indication that the Festival have any interest in requesting the changes needed. Can't imagine why they possibly would - it's just adding significant extra costs and creating more tension with the locals for something they really don't need to do.

Edited by incident

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes.

They can't do it for quite a few separate reasons - the most prominent being that they're outright not allowed to put music on the Pyramid (or most of the other larger stages) on the Thursday, and even if they were allowed to use the stage they'd need to dramatically increase the noise limits to be able to run at a workable volume.

Any change to either of those restrictions would meet some serious local resistance, and there's never been any indication that the Festival have any interest in requesting the changes needed. Can't imagine why they possibly would - it's just adding significant extra costs and creating more tension with the locals for something they really don't need to do.

Gotcha. Thanks both.

I'm going to try to buy Elton tickets as insurance!

51 minutes ago, jparx said:

Well it’s definitely part of a tour. Doesn’t sound too promising, but equally we’ve seen these exclusivity things broken before. Probably just a marketing thing though, since Glastonbury is sold out anyway it’s effectively your only chance to see him in the SW

Agreed....Glastonbury is essentially a closed shop so you even argue it's not part of the tour proper....a side event per se.

1 hour ago, cwaite123 said:

I love bits like this and the inevitable brain scrambling that follows in order to keep people's dream alive.

20 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I love bits like this and the inevitable brain scrambling that follows in order to keep people's dream alive.

You’re as much a part of that brain scramble as anyone 😀. Ultimately it’s ambiguous. Language deliberately chosen, details yet to be revealed. We’re all at the mercy of whatever’s behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

You’re as much a part of that brain scramble as anyone 😀. Ultimately it’s ambiguous. Language deliberately chosen, details yet to be revealed. We’re all at the mercy of whatever’s behind the scenes. 

Absolutely, and I'm taking the Ashton Gate email as gospel because I fear it means Macca may be out. I will cling to it every time Elton is mentioned. 

3 hours ago, jparx said:

I would be quite surprised if Taylor takes another year (this time voluntary) off touring though. Thoroughly expect to do some shows next year, even more so after the tweet the other day about the RED tour. Spending a solid 4 years writing and recording albums seems really unlikely for someone who loves performing so much.

Exactly though, she can spend next year doing shows for fans & the rerecordings. She can easily cash in on that and then come back for the Big G when she has something a bit more relevant to be promoting/celebrating. Personally Glasto sets always feel way more awesome when it is a big event (see Kylie last year whilst on her greatest hits tour, or Stormzy being the first big rap artist) - sure she might just be excited enough that she wants to get on the pointy one ASAP, but if she gets the option why wouldnt she push it till she has her whole updated catalogue ready?

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I dont think after all this a new new album is coming anytime soon. And not having done any touring for 3 albums of material is going to have plenty of demand on its own. I think you can argue that there could be a way to tour in “smaller” venues and have them be of diff eras. Each night is one of thee re recorded ones plus the hits to close things. I mean you easily could do one night Folklore and one night of Evermore.

By the time the 2023 would be rolling around it would have been over 2 years since her last proper album (lets face it, the rerecordings aren't exactly changing a lot to already existing songs). I'd be surprised if she wasnt writing new material on the side at the same time as doing the rerecordings.