Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

On the other hand it’d have the ‘Harry Styles at Big Weekend’ effect of thousands of their fans camping out at the front all day and showing zero interest in the other acts or stages. Not ideal for the vibe although organisers obviously don’t care about that these days. 

I think it'd also risk falling into the V Festival trap - it would totally turn off a large portion of the core audience that the festival relies on to buy tickets year after year, meaning if they couldn't repeat the trick the following year and the year after that etc then they could get into trouble quickly.

6 hours ago, incident said:

I think it'd also risk falling into the V Festival trap - it would totally turn off a large portion of the core audience that the festival relies on to buy tickets year after year, meaning if they couldn't repeat the trick the following year and the year after that etc then they could get into trouble quickly.

But you dont need to totally do that to get repeats. Because if the new comers enjoy the experience regardless of their favorite act playing thats how you can get em to come back. Gotta find revenue streams. And you dont need to repeat the same thing, just get whats next. Im curious if BST is going to make the lineup really varied for them. Might be a couple of K pop acts, but there likely is gonna be some british acts with em.

also, this is how theyre gonna market Blackpink which certainly seems to be how they can make their own path and everything which plays into the fanbase too.

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But you dont need to totally do that to get repeats. Because if the new comers enjoy the experience regardless of their favorite act playing thats how you can get em to come back. Gotta find revenue streams. And you dont need to repeat the same thing, just get whats next. Im curious if BST is going to make the lineup really varied for them. Might be a couple of K pop acts, but there likely is gonna be some british acts with em.

Yep, of course there's a chance you can create a regular customer out of someone who wouldn't previously have been interested, and that'd be one of the factors to be considered. If that gamble was taken and paid off it would be hailed as a genius move. But whether it's worth the risk of turning off a chunk of your traditional core audience or not is the (literal) multi million pound question.

I'm not claiming to know the answer, as there's precedent for both success and failure doing that - trying to shift the audience profile backfired big time for V Festival, but around the same time Wireless did so with huge success.

4 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Bon Iver have just announced a date in Sweden for June 10th which I guess puts them in the frame for Primavera and Down the Rabbit Hole etc.

Tough one to place at Glasto these days.

Other headliner I’d guess. Either that or sub, too big for much else and not big enough to headline the ‘Mid

20 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Bon Iver have just announced a date in Sweden for June 10th which I guess puts them in the frame for Primavera and Down the Rabbit Hole etc.

Tough one to place at Glasto these days.

Tough one to place at Glastonbury in general because they always seem to miss it despite having dates near it! Hopefully next year is the year.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It reduces the probability of the dreaded Sunday Night 2014 Scenario when nothing of note was going down on any of the major stages.

2014?? I wouldn't call Massive Attack, Disclosure, James Blake and London Grammar nothing of note 😅

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We opted for Disclosure and it was bobbins.  Eventually ended up in Avalon watching the Peatbog Faeries but by that point the night was a bust.

I suppose the acts I'd pick from that list are all quite downbeat for a festival closer. Would still be at Massive Attack over Kasabian every single day of the week

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It reduces the probability of the dreaded Sunday Night 2014 Scenario when nothing of note was going down on any of the major stages.

We were at massive attack and definitely not an exciting end to the festival - might have been lovely to see them elsewhere in the line-up.  Just had a look at clashfinder and no good options jump out - hadn't heard of london grammar in 2014 sadly and James Blake or Kasabian wouldn't have been an improvement on massive attack.  Anyone who did 1975 into Dolly into Sheeran on the Pyramid must have really struggled 😄