Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

6 minutes ago, Chazeboy said:

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/joni-mitchell-brandi-carlile-june-2023-concert-the-gorge-1235158464/

have now put this in both topics, didnt know what one to go for

Early June in USA, but Joni Mitchell and Brandi Carlisle

Its slated for a week before Glasto. Dont know if she can perform and do the travel or not.

3 minutes ago, leath02 said:

"UK festival debut Sunday 2 July 2023"

Notably not a UK exclusive, but debut would suggest it's their first one of next year... So does that put glasto out?

Missed that. Hmmm, def can. K Pop groups are very specific with stuff like that. They dont really deceive the fanbase per say by saying Something isnt what it is. So the whole way to sell this will be  theyre the first K Pop headliner for Hyde Park. Festival debut for Blackpink etc. and it all matters with the marketing too.

I had mentioned this before just with K pop acts in general is that if theyre doing a big event like BST that if its going to be broadcast/streamed that they want everyone to be able to watch it. With Glasto you cannot do that because of the BBC restrictions. There would have to be some exception to let it be shown everywhere and I dont think theres anything to sway the BBC from letting that happen just for an hour during Glasto. You would get endless harrassment about it too. BST can do a livestream and all that, even PPV and theyll make even more money. So this does seem like the best case scenario that YG Entertainment could get what they wanted for Blackpink. 60k  sold out audience, big city and a global livestream. London will enjoy the tourist revenue too.

16 minutes ago, leath02 said:

"UK festival debut Sunday 2 July 2023"

Notably not a UK exclusive, but debut would suggest it's their first one of next year... So does that put glasto out?

The fact that Glastonbury is already sold out come lineup announcement time means people can’t buy tickets just for certain acts, so I think they could get around it that way. Wouldn’t be the first time another festival has bullshitted an exclusive deal when Glastonbury has an act booked. 

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The fact that Glastonbury is already sold out come lineup announcement time means people can’t buy tickets just for certain acts, so I think they could get around it that way. Wouldn’t be the first time another festival has bullshitted an exclusive deal when Glastonbury has an act booked. 

Feel like a secret set is the only way they're playing now

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

K Pop bands specifically don't fuck around with technicalities like this because of the level of insanity and grumbling in their fanbases – if it's billed and sold as a festival debut, then it'll be a debut. It feels very explicit to me.

Just now, jannybruck said:

K Pop bands specifically don't fuck around with technicalities like this because of the level of insanity and grumbling in their fanbases – if it's billed and sold as a festival debut, then it'll be a debut. It feels very explicit to me.

here here

9 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Ha maybe you’re right on that front - Lord knows Glastonbury doesn’t need to be making an enemy with the K-Pop army. 

19 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Feel like a secret set is the only way they're playing now

think about 10 people would go to that, suprefan, matt and 8 people who got lost on the way back from the SE corner

Edited by gfa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Ha maybe you’re right on that front - Lord knows Glastonbury doesn’t need to be making an enemy with the K-Pop army. 

If the kids found out they were gonna play Glastonbury and there was almost no way to get a ticket, you would never hear the end of it. Nobody in the fanbase wouldve been registered and such to buy the resale either. But Ill say this, if a uk fest wants to get a quick batch of sales, book a reasonably sized k pop act and theyll come running. I wouldnt be surprised if Big Weekend gives into it next year. Lollapalooza sold an extra 20,000 tickets because of the J Hope addition after Doja Cat jad to cancel. That saved their bottom line.

11 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If the kids found out they were gonna play Glastonbury and there was almost no way to get a ticket, you would never hear the end of it. Nobody in the fanbase wouldve been registered and such to buy the resale either. But Ill say this, if a uk fest wants to get a quick batch of sales, book a reasonably sized k pop act and theyll come running. I wouldnt be surprised if Big Weekend gives into it next year. Lollapalooza sold an extra 20,000 tickets because of the J Hope addition after Doja Cat jad to cancel. That saved their bottom line.

On the other hand it’d have the ‘Harry Styles at Big Weekend’ effect of thousands of their fans camping out at the front all day and showing zero interest in the other acts or stages. Not ideal for the vibe although organisers obviously don’t care about that these days. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

On the other hand it’d have the ‘Harry Styles at Big Weekend’ effect of thousands of their fans camping out at the front all day and showing zero interest in the other acts or stages. Not ideal for the vibe although organisers obviously don’t care about that these days. 

Two great points. For Big weekend it doesn't matter one bit as it moves every year / costs shit all anyway so also doesn't matter...

A touring festival that was ran for profit would be where to put them really but that doesn't exist.