Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

We’l see, but I think these are trends not rules. We’ve had many many years of three bands/rock acts being booked. Nothing to say one year can’t be different. Especially if it’s for arguably three of the most influential modern artists on the planet.

See its things like this that lose people on your theories, pure hyperbole, overstatements that mean nothing in the context of your argument and can't be proven ESPECIALLY when you're saying its going to be Billie Eilish (who has an EP and and album) over Paul McCartney. 

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

We know how this works. Matt has a fun idea of Billie headlining and will grasp at anything he can to make it fit his point and will come up with excuses of why other acts wont do it, even if their chances are just as likely or more likely while coming up with equally ridiculous idea as to why the act he wants there would do it. 

' Billie’s management are knocking at the door to headline, why not?'
This line could be said about any act that wants to headline or play any festival in the world. 

Thing is that if either Kendrick or Taylor drop out then yes I can see her being a strong favourite to step in.

She won’t replace Macca, if he drops out then they’ll look for a band and/or heritage act to replace him.

What I don’t get though is this sudden insistence that someone now isn’t playing just because Billie Eilish has become available.

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

We know how this works. Matt has a fun idea of Billie headlining and will grasp at anything he can to make it fit his point and will come up with excuses of why other acts wont do it, even if their chances are just as likely or more likely while coming up with equally ridiculous idea as to why the act he wants there would do it. 

' Billie’s management are knocking at the door to headline, why not?'
This line could be said about any act that wants to headline or play any festival in the world. 

I’m not exactly pulling this from my arse though am I? They’ve left a space in her tour on Glastonbury weekend and Emily Eavis has spoken many times that she wants her booked. 

Can you please explain to me what’s wrong with speculating on a Glastonbury speculation forum? If I was doing this about Paul McCartney would you have the same reaction? You should of seen this forum talk about the Rolling Stones leading up to 2013.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

See its things like this that lose people on your theories, pure hyperbole, overstatements that mean nothing in the context of your argument and can't be proven ESPECIALLY when you're saying its going to be Billie Eilish (who has an EP and and album) over Paul McCartney. 

Clues in the word ‘modern’ not ‘ever’.

if I was talking about ‘ever’ I would have included McCartney

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Yeah who has Paul McCartney ever influenced?

72BD238E-5A8A-4DA9-9BB7-1ADE24B3FAD0.jpeg

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

She won’t replace Macca, if he drops out then they’ll look for a band and/or heritage act to replace him.

Now this is where I disagree, but it comes down to my own opinion. I don’t see the point in booking a band for bands sake if you have an extremely popular artist there and waiting.

We’l see, but I think these are trends not rules. We’ve had many many years of three bands/rock acts being booked. Nothing to say one year can’t be different. Especially if it’s for arguably three of the most influential modern artists on the planet.

There were many years of rock bands being booked because that's what has always played well at the festival. Pop acts didn't used to want to play the festival.

The people who went in those years are still there. It's only a minority who you see screaming about it on social media, the majority of that crowd accept pop and rap artists in headline spots but just go see something else.

It's not rockist to want the variety to remain intact. I think it is selfish though to suggest that so many people, after keeping their deposits with the festival for two years, don't deserve to be satisfied with the headline options because these acts are new, young and popular.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not exactly pulling this from my arse though am I? They’ve left a space in her tour on Glastonbury weekend and Emily Eavis has spoken many times that she wants her booked. 

Can you please explain to me what’s wrong with speculating on a Glastonbury speculation forum? If I was doing this about Paul McCartney would you have the same reaction? You should of seen this forum talk about the Rolling Stones leading up to 2013.

Where are all these comments from Emily that she wants her booked? Obviously the last festival she was booked but have I missed lots of interviews since then?

All you've got is that she's got a tour with dates free for Glastonbury and Emily has said she'd like her to play again, which she has said about lots of acts and there's a bunch of acts that are touring next year with holes in their tour and a bunch more with albums coming out with no tour yet, but you go so hard in on an idea that you come up with the most ridiculous statements with nothing to back it up. Predictions are fun, but I just don't get the paragraph long statements on why Billie is going to replace Macca over the fact that 'he might not like to book things far in advance' 

Clues in the word ‘modern’ not ‘ever’.

if I was talking about ‘ever’ I would have included McCartney

Its the fact you can't back it up, because its an impossible statement to back up on someone's young career. 

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Where are all these comments from Emily that she wants her booked? Obviously the last festival she was booked but have I missed lots of interviews since then?

I think the only time I can even recall was towards the end of 2019 when she said they'd love to have her back or something. 

Now this is where I disagree, but it comes down to my own opinion. I don’t see the point in booking a band for bands sake if you have an extremely popular artist there and waiting.

It’s not a band for a band’s sake though is it? It’s about balance. You yourself moan about the lack of balance in the headliners yet I would posit that a trio of Kendrick/BE/TS goes too far the other way and skews in favour of the younger crowd.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Arianna Grande is going to be gutted when she finds out Matt has already moved on from her.

Quite the contrary, if Billie and Taylor get snapped up in one year I’d argue Ariana moves closer to the top of the priority pile.

It’s entirely possible the 3 headliners for 2020, whoever they are, were already lined up before Billie decided to tour. 

Admittedly there is a G shaped hole in her schedule, but perhaps she’s committed elsewhere that weekend, or is playing the farm but not headlining - the LDR slot perhaps 

43 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Waking up in cold sweats after dreaming of a world where Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo and Bad Bunny are the 2023 headliners, and real bands like Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys have been relegated to playing the local boozers

Get used to it, Grandad*

* I'm fully aware that you are less than 20 years old

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

What about Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande all headlining next year? Or is that too radical even for you @Matt42?

Its too radical to even have one female at the top or  even poc for that matter. I mean Bad Bunny and BTS are the 2 biggest global acts right now but the Glasto audience would never accept that kind of a booking. As much progress as there has been there is still a big underlying current of prejudice that likely wont die out for another generation. 

35 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Its too radical to even have one female at the top or  even poc for that matter. I mean Bad Bunny and BTS are the 2 biggest global acts right now but the Glasto audience would never accept that kind of a booking. As much progress as there has been there is still a big underlying current of prejudice that likely wont die out for another generation. 

We’re all prejudiced because Glastonbury hasn’t booked a Korean boy band?

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

1D were one of the biggest acts this country has ever produced and they never played either.

Fuck all to do with what country they’re from.

@Suprefan raises an interesting point but there is a little bit of a difference between Bad Bunny / BTS and Billie Eilish / Kendrick / Taylor etc.

I don’t think BTS / Bad Bunny try and establish themselves as festival headliners in Europe. They are happy playing to their own fans.

I think there is some mutual understanding between the artist and the act that it isn’t the market they try and target.

coachella has really embraced K Pop and I think some coachella attendees expect it on the lineup. Glasto attendees don’t, but I don’t think K pop is big in the UK in the same way.

can’t really put it in words very well (bit Eurovision drunk) but I don’t think BTS see Glasto as something they really want to do.

Glasto books international acts that have a lot of cross-over with their attendees? Or potential for cross-over? If that makes sense? Someone help me out.

Coachella makes a lot of money from sponsorship. Would like to appeal to more people globally than those actually in attendance, including people who would never go to a music festival.

Glastonbury doesn't need to appeal to hypebeasts going insane over TikTok stars. It keeps up with the zeitgiest - and maybe one day it will welcome K-Pop boybands and reggaeton units as those become more commonplace - but it's mostly middle class people in their 30's and 40's.

I guess if someone spends all day in a bubble of scrolling Twitter trends and reading music publications that pander to the masses then it might seem like bands like James and Madness don't exist but they get big crowds at the festival, whereas no fucker know a BTS song despite them being stadium-sized over here - they're simply not the Glasto audience.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Before seeing this message, I have never heard of either Bad Bunny and BTS. Not sure what type of music they make but will give them a listen 🤣