Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Pink sells out stadiums in the UK. She won’t sub.

If she routes a tour through Europe directly after that festival with a hole shaped for Glastonbury then maybe she could be a headliner. I doubt it though, in this year where they’ve got Billie Eilish already.

Post Diana slot like Miley?

34 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Unsure if they've been spoken much on here but Yves Tumor is around Europe in June(last date is on the 20th) and then a random date in the US on the 23rd and then back in Europe on the 6th of July. Any chances of him showing up? 

Yves absolutely deserves a spot on the line up considering how good their recent material has been. Seems like the exact sort of act Glastonbury would not book though. Yves Tumor and it's band on John Peel is the dream, or even better book them for a late night SE corner set. 

Yeah P!nk would definitely headline glasto if she played, she did two nights at wembley stadium last time. There's no reason for her to take anything below headliner.

I don't think she'd play glasto tho, how would she do her acrobatics act on the pyramid stage? It seems like such a big part of her show.

Edited by shivroy

1 hour ago, shivroy said:

Yeah P!nk would definitely headline glasto if she played, she did two nights at wembley stadium last time. There's no reason for her to take anything below headliner.

I don't think she'd play glasto tho, how would she do her acrobatics act on the pyramid stage? It seems like such a big part of her show.

If it was a headline slot I think they often build the set around the headliner that day and everyone else sort of works around it. 

See stormzy with his huge set up and Kanye with the light and lift thing.

2 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Yves absolutely deserves a spot on the line up considering how good their recent material has been. Seems like the exact sort of act Glastonbury would not book though. Yves Tumor and it's band on John Peel is the dream, or even better book them for a late night SE corner set. 

I hope they do, they're at All Points East, so I can't see why Glasto' wouldn't. I imagine a 3rd from top at The Park would smash. 

4 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Really now, we're talking about Pink? She may sell out stadiums but so do Take That and West Life. She's hardly relevant anymore, nor does she have enough of a (good) back catalog to be considered a icon like Madonna

Smh

You are going to really loose it when you see who's been confirmed for Friday. 

38 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

You are going to really loose it when you see who's been confirmed for Friday. 

Billie Eilish is a new act on the way up and is very relevant vs P!nk who has stagnated completely, if she was going to do it then it will be in 20 years or would have been 10 years ago.

21 minutes ago, gfa said:

Billie Eilish is a new act on the way up and is very relevant vs P!nk who has stagnated completely, if she was going to do it then it will be in 20 years or would have been 10 years ago.

In 20 years' time? Why?

I just looked it up and she's actually released her two biggest selling singles in this country in past decade ('Just Give Me a Reason' & 'What About Us') among others I've definitely heard, so I was wrong earlier when I said about her peaking 15 years ago. She's actually been going gangbusters with the Heart FM crowd.

Also, for a direct ten-year comparison as a festival performer, she was third down the main stage at V Festival in 2007 and headlined it in 2017.

I don't see it happening but she's a headliner if it were to come to pass and not a totally ridiculous shout for one. From the accounts I've read on here of her live shows, it'd probably be one for the ages too. More than can be said for Billie Eilish.

Edited by dentalplan

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

In 20 years' time? Why?

I just looked it up and she's actually released her two biggest selling singles in this country in past decade ('Just Give Me a Reason' & 'What About Us') among others I've definitely heard, so I was wrong earlier when I said about her peaking 15 years ago. She's actually been going gangbusters with the Heart FM crowd.

Also, for a direct ten-year comparison as a festival performer, she was third down the main stage at V Festival in 2007 and headlined it in 2017.

I don't see it happening but she's a headliner if it were to come to pass and not a totally ridiculous shout for one. From the accounts I've read on here of her live shows, it'd probably be one for the ages too. More than can be said for Billie Eilish.

Just give me a reason was 10 years ago and i'd say thats about her peak. She would smash the performance but i think the festival is more likely to go along the route of giving newer artists slots especially given 3 out of the last 5 years have been missed so theres a bit of a talent backlog. She's definitely a weird one though, would be up for seeing her just think there's a lot of better options for them

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just give me a reason was 10 years ago and i'd say thats about her peak. She would smash the performance but i think the festival is more likely to go along the route of giving newer artists slots especially given 3 out of the last 5 years have been missed so theres a bit of a talent backlog. She's definitely a weird one though, would be up for seeing her just think there's a lot of better options for them

I mean you can say the festival is looking for new artists all you want, but one of the biggest contenders is Paul McCartney and we know next year has a huge chance of one of Coldplay/Arctics/Muse showing up. 

10 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I mean you can say the festival is looking for new artists all you want, but one of the biggest contenders is Paul McCartney and we know next year has a huge chance of one of Coldplay/Arctics/Muse showing up. 

Fair point, I guess what separates those 3 is there history with the festival but definitely no reason for her not to play. Lets see I guess 🙂

I’m not comparing them as artists but I see it the same way as them booking someone like Eminem or Justin Timberlake right now. Big enough to do it but I think the timing would look random and there would be a question as to whether the appetite was there to see it.

P!nk right now is an artist with a big back catalogue who shows up here and there for a feature and a radio song, but she’s not spoken about as a zeitgeist. As the post before says Glasto typically targets the zeitgeist when choosing their pop headline options.

21 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Paul McCartney is a bit of a different booking to P!nk though isn’t he? One of the most well known acts of all time and a surefire festival headliner. Festivals always try and get a heritage booking so it’s a different context to booking a popstar.

I’m really not against P!nk playing but as their pop headline booking I’d feel a bit like they could have got someone more current. Doing a special set on the pyramid in a non-headlining position I’d be all down for though!

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Paul McCartney is a bit of a different booking to P!nk though isn’t he? One of the most well known acts of all time and a surefire festival headliner. Festivals always try and get a heritage booking so it’s a different context to booking a popstar.

I’m really not against P!nk playing but as their pop headline booking I’d feel a bit like they could have got someone more current. Doing a special set on the pyramid in a non-headlining position I’d be all down for though!

You've completely missed the conversation I was having...

@gfawas saying that the festival is looking to maybe book more up and comers, especially with the break between festivals now. I used Macca as a point against this and then mentioned the fact we'll probably get 1 of Arctics/Coldplay/Muse next year against this too. 

You seem to be bringing up her not playing, and as a popstar a lot, even within a conversation that had nothing to do with me talking about Pink, but more on the basis of what the festival is looking for. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

You've completely missed the conversation I was having...

@gfawas saying that the festival is looking to maybe book more up and comers, especially with the break between festivals now. I used Macca as a point against this and then mentioned the fact we'll probably get 1 of Arctics/Coldplay/Muse next year against this too. 

You seem to be bringing up her not playing, and as a popstar a lot, even within a conversation that had nothing to do with me talking about Pink, but more on the basis of what the festival is looking for. 

Apologies if there was a mixup but past lineups show they try to at least aim to book an established headliner, a heritage headliner, and a newer headliner every year. Not all years fit that mould due to act availability - but I do agree that the festival is trying to book more up and comers too (not necessarily as headliners).

If her tour dates are not a red herring it looks like they’ve secured Olivia Rodrigo - which is quite a shift for the festival to bag a breakout star on her very first tour. As I’ve said in other threads I think this is down to Glastonbury having contacts with the right agents now rather than a switch in strategy.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Apologies if there was a mixup but past lineups show they try to at least aim to book an established headliner, a heritage headliner, and a newer headliner every year. Not all years fit that mould due to act availability - but I do agree that the festival is trying to book more up and comers too (not necessarily as headliners).

If her tour dates are not a red herring it looks like they’ve secured Olivia Rodrigo - which is quite a shift for the festival to bag a breakout star on her very first tour. As I’ve said in other threads I think this is down to Glastonbury having contacts with the right agents now rather than a switch in strategy.

And a headliner trio of Pink/Arctics/Someone more up and current next year would still look strong. 

I'm not a fan of hers and I don't think she will play as she doesn't seem to be a festival artist, but to say she can't is silly.

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

And a headliner trio of Pink/Arctics/Someone more up and current next year would still look strong. 

I'm not a fan of hers and I don't think she will play as she doesn't seem to be a festival artist, but to say she can't is silly.

I never said can’t? I said I think it’s unlikely for her to be booked.

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think this is actually a really good point, pop is meant to be popular and P!nk is certainly not popular now. She has an album every so often but doesn't stay in the limelight at all like similar artists do. Essentially the same as Rihanna really, but maybe even less so.

With bands i don't think this is nearly as much of a thing

Edited by gfa