Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

Mmmm just a hunch but it doesn’t sound like a first choice. No evidence just my feelings. 

I have a feeling he was originally an other sub that was bumped up, and it was because an original plan fell through. Maybe some large other headliner style act which got a headline gig somewhere else?

... or.. someone that cold feet when the pandemic starting happening.

Edited by Matt42

I think we were struggling to come up with Other headliners last year, we seemed to have Dua Lipa and Pet Shop Boys sorted early on but couldn’t quite figure out a third. For a while Royal Blood seemed to be the favourites but I think Neil had info from someone saying that it wasn’t them. I reckon they probably tried for a bigger name at some point but I don’t think Fatboy Slim was a last minute replacement, he just feels like a standard dance act like they usually have with a link to the 50th given his history with the festival. 

I think they planned to have FBS headline all along as part of the 50th, what with him having a long history with the festival and all. As others have said, now that the 50th thing has gone all bets are off.

Didnt he headline a night in the JP a few years back? Wouldn’t shock me if he was bumped back down that way or off into the Dance Village.

I was game for FBS headlining t’Other for the 50th, but for the first festival back after 2 years off, surely there are newer, fresher acts queuing up to take that slot? After two years of no gigs, the festival will have the pick of bands for that slot. It’s a shame for FBS, but I’d move on from that idea personally. 

36 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I think it would be mean to invite two of the 2020 OS headliners back but not FBS, especially considering his commitment to the festival. I reckon any differences in line up will be more to do with acts dropping out rather than being dropped.

I agree. It doesn’t seem like the vibe of this festival’s management to downgrade people for a cancelled festival once it’s back on just because they can get someone “better.” My assumption for 2022 is the same everything unless the acts turn down/are unavailable. 

But I do also think there was something “extra” about FBS headlining OS that wasn’t yet announced. Whether that was guests or a mystery slot after/before him (so not really headlining) I don’t know but I suspect something. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think they planned to have FBS headline all along as part of the 50th, what with him having a long history with the festival and all. As others have said, now that the 50th thing has gone all bets are off.

Didnt he headline a night in the JP a few years back? Wouldn’t shock me if he was bumped back down that way or off into the Dance Village.

Make no mistake, this festival will be treated in the same vain as the 50th anniversary so Fatboy Slim likely isn't moving anywhere. It would  e no different to when there was issues with Rudimental's set the previous year and they got given the Other headliner the following year out of a 'courteous' thing as people called it. The were not that size, sub at the most.

I think JP will be reserved for a following year.

29 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yes, I must admit, I had just presumed that they'd be promoting it as "Belated 50th" or something along those lines when they finally know for sure it's going ahead. 

I agree. I think it will be sold as a celebration of 50 years of Glastonbury or words to that effect. It’s going to be extra magic with the anniversary and a return to the farm after 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I agree. I think it will be sold as a celebration of 50 years of Glastonbury or words to that effect. It’s going to be extra magic with the anniversary and a return to the farm after 3 years. 

Exactly. Nothing has been able to go ahead do to them the 50th is the next one in line. No one can help what's happened. Just means 60 comes 2 years quicker.

Hard disagree. It won't have '50th Anniversary' on the poster, and they won't say stuff about acts wanting to play the 50th. Maybe they'll say "they were excited to play the 50th and were sad they couldn't, but fortunately they have signed up again" but the theme is 100% going to be more geared towards 'Welcome back to Glastonbury' than an anniversary that couldn't happen. And no one will give a shit.

I don't think they're beholden to honour the slots they offered in 2020 either. I think Norman would understand that, while he was the perfect act to throw a celebration for 50 years of Glastonbury, there will be huge acts wrapping at the door for a slot like that.

Edited by dentalplan

The poster we got was definitely missing a few names. We didn’t have a sub and we were missing Aerosmith. It wouldn’t surprise me if two American acts got doubtful they could show up when COVID came around and asked to be taken off the lineup.

My guess is FBS was not their first choice. He could pull off an other stage set but I can’t see him being someone they would put in that slot, knowing that they have ample number of acts that would jump at the opportunity to headline the other stage.

To me it just feels like a way of ruling a slot out that could have gone to better use. Can’t prove anything I’m saying but it’s just a hunch. Emily’s pyramid level other stage headliners however could back my claim up. If they had someone originally intended for the Friday was that pretty large (but backed out) it would make sense. Does feel a bit like a ‘Metallica originally down to headline the other stage’ rumour though!

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hard disagree. It won't have '50th Anniversary' on the poster, and they won't say stuff about acts wanting to play the 50th. Maybe they'll say "they were excited to play the 50th and were sad they couldn't, but fortunately they have signed up again" but the theme is 100% going to be more geared towards 'Welcome back to Glastonbury' than an anniversary that couldn't happen. And no one will give a shit.

I don't think they're beholden to honour the slots they offered in 2020 either. I think Norman would understand that, while he was the perfect act to throw a celebration for 50 years of Glastonbury, there will be huge acts wrapping at the door for a slot like that.

Agreed. If the festival happened this year I could maybe see them taking the 50th anniversary approach, but not two years later. I'm sure they will want to get plenty of 2020 acts back for 2022, but more because they were chuffed with the lineup than anything else.

The vibe will definitely be "thank god we're back and life is normal again" rather than 50th anniversary.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Completely agree.

The opportunity to celebrate the 50th has been and gone.

And music moves so quickly that there’s an abundance of acts that will miss out this time and others who have risen through the ranks. 

Glasto will always try and put out the best line up possible and that means we won’t have the same bill as 2020.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The poster we got was definitely missing a few names. We didn’t have a sub and we were missing Aerosmith. It wouldn’t surprise me if two American acts got doubtful they could show up when COVID came around and asked to be taken off the lineup.

My guess is FBS was not their first choice. He could pull off an other stage set but I can’t see him being someone they would put in that slot, knowing that they have ample number of acts that would jump at the opportunity to headline the other stage.

To me it just feels like a way of ruling a slot out that could have gone to better use. Can’t prove anything I’m saying but it’s just a hunch. Emily’s pyramid level other stage headliners however could back my claim up. If they had someone originally intended for the Friday was that pretty large (but backed out) it would make sense. Does feel a bit like a ‘Metallica originally down to headline the other stage’ rumour though!

Right, cos everyone was suggesting Dua Lipa and Pet Shop Boys as Pyramid headliners for 2020.

I think Glastonbury just booked differently to how you would predict it. It's okay, it happens to every single one of us every year.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Right, cos everyone was suggesting Dua Lipa and Pet Shop Boys as Pyramid headliners for 2020.

I think Glastonbury just booked differently to how you would predict it. It's okay, it happens to every single one of us every year.

Well she said pyramid level not pyramid headliners. Both Dua and PSB would be big acts on the pyramid if they were lined up for slots there.

FBS doesn’t fit the description at all so it makes me think he was not an original choice.

Either way I don’t think it matters as 2022 will probably be built from scratch with 2020 acts getting first refusal. 

That being said I hope Kendrick, Taylor, Paul McCartney, Lana, Dua etc all make it back onto the bill

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Well she said pyramid level not pyramid headliners. Both Dua and PSB would be big acts on the pyramid if they were lined up for slots there.

FBS doesn’t fit the description at all so it makes me think he was not an original choice.

If ever there should be a Kendrick v FBS choice, especially next year when everyone will want party-central, I reckon the OS will be rammed. 

Edited by henry bear

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If ever there should be a Kendrick v FBS choice, especially next year when everyone will want party-central, I reckon the OS will be rammed. 

Most stage headliners pull big crowds and I’m not doubting Fatboy slim would get a big crowd.

My point is that FBS is not a stage headliner or nothing artist. As evidenced by the fact he’s played tiny stages in the past few years. He could have subbed, or played third down, or even fourth down and I don’t think people would have raised any eyebrows. You can slot him wherever and it works.

The reason I think he was a second choice is because there are plenty of options they could have chose from which are bona fide other stage headliners. I can’t see them going for someone first that they don’t *have* to book as a stage headliner. Especially since plenty of acts touring would suit the slot.