Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Whats the point in Glastonbury giving Green Day or RHCP a leg up? It’s a favour for the band but the festival isn’t losing sleep by missing out on them. Glasto has a healthier stream of acts that are more current and safer bets. 

What's the point in booking any headliner in that case? A Green Day headline set would go down a storm. RHCP may be a running joke on here but for a majority of the festival attendees they'd be seen as a solid booking. The festival isn't going to lose sleep over anyone. 

So you're saying the festival should no longer book any heritage or legacy acts other than the Sunday teatime slot? 

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

What's the point in booking any headliner in that case? A Green Day headline set would go down a storm. RHCP may be a running joke on here but for a majority of the festival attendees they'd be seen as a solid booking. The festival isn't going to lose sleep over anyone. 

So you're saying the festival should no longer book any heritage or legacy acts other than the Sunday teatime slot? 

Matt wants pop artists and new til tok music only. I swear it was only a few weeks back that Matt was saying Green Day could headline in the future.

8 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

RHCP may be a running joke on here but for a majority of the festival attendees they'd be seen as a solid booking. The festival isn't going to lose sleep over anyone. 

Surely they would want more money than the festival are prepared to pay and they wouldn't be prepared to do it for the coverage alone?

In which case it seems to be the ideal compromise that they don't come 😉 

Green Day is a weird one, because I suppose they could still do it, although if the festival was really bothered about them I’d have thought they’d have tried to get them between 2004-2010 when they were on their big commercial comeback, rather than now when they’re just plodding on. Wouldn’t totally rule them out, but I don’t see them being a priority.

RHCP I don’t see happening at all. Increasingly uncool and would just be a bit of a lame booking. Every year they’re touring we umm and ahh over it maybe being them, and it never is. I don’t think they’re at all on the festivals radar, except perhaps in dire consequences of the festival having no other options. 

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Surely they would want more money than the festival are prepared to pay and they wouldn't be prepared to do it for the coverage alone?

In which case it seems to be the ideal compromise that they don't come 😉 

Perhaps not which is likely why the likes of Elton has never done it, and why it took years to get the Stones and the haggling still ongoing with Fleetwood Mac. There's loads of acts who haven't done it and never will, for a whole host of reasons. Just seems ridiculous to rule out established, legacy headliners for no reason. Why have Foos headline years after their peak? What did The Cure release that meant they were good to be booked for the umpteenth time? 

12 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Perhaps not which is likely why the likes of Elton has never done it, and why it took years to get the Stones and the haggling still ongoing with Fleetwood Mac. There's loads of acts who haven't done it and never will, for a whole host of reasons. Just seems ridiculous to rule out established, legacy headliners for no reason. Why have Foos headline years after their peak? What did The Cure release that meant they were good to be booked for the umpteenth time? 

Aren't they a tad different as they've played there multiple times before?  

They seemed to love it too.

https://www.nme.com/big-reads/the-cure-interview-robert-smith-big-read-exclusive-interview-glastonbury-40th-anniversary-2019-glastonbury-mad-cool-2524439

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Aren't they a tad different as they've played there multiple times before?  

They seemed to love it too.

https://www.nme.com/big-reads/the-cure-interview-robert-smith-big-read-exclusive-interview-glastonbury-40th-anniversary-2019-glastonbury-mad-cool-2524439

I'm not talking about why a band would or wouldn't accept an offer to play the festival, but about why the festival wouldn't want an act like Green Day to headline. A proven major festival headliner with a setlist that would go down a storm, exactly like Foos, The Cure, The Killers etc who are all legacy rock/indie acts who have headlined the last couple of festivals. 

15 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I'm not talking about why a band would or wouldn't accept an offer to play the festival, but about why the festival wouldn't want an act like Green Day to headline. A proven major festival headliner with a setlist that would go down a storm, exactly like Foos, The Cure, The Killers etc who are all legacy rock/indie acts who have headlined the last couple of festivals. 

Ah I was referring more to rhcp, whether valid or not I perceived them as being less prepared to do it for a lower fee.  And they aren't an act that ME would break the bank for unlike the others you mention. 

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com%2Ff8835e473bc1efdc5292f5f6e%2Fimages%2F01df2d48-b69e-9ba5-e95f-94fd537cb0c9.png&t=1650461745&ymreqid=e0769b0b-8484-dc49-1c6f-68060701a100&sig=c7DUtgM3T_SxbXHZDIpvKQ--~D

Editors have just announced new music and said they're touring at the end of the year, alongside all of their current festival dates

Editors play live in Summer 2022. All tickets available from our site below.

27 May - Dauwpop, Holland
28 May - Stadtpark, Hamburg, Germany
3 June - Vestrock, Holland
4 June - In It Together, Wales
5 June - Sonic Wave @ Forum, Birmingham, UK
17 June - O Son Do Camino, Spain
24 June - Mallorca Live, Spain
9 July - Mad Cool, Spain
14 July - Electric Castle, Romania
19 July - Balena Festival, Italy
30 July - Low Festival, Spain
5 Aug - Wide Skies and Butterflies, UK
14 Aug - Hear Hear Festival, Belgium
28 Aug - Victorious Festival, UK

3 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Where did I say that? There are plenty of heritage acts to book which are way bigger and more current than Green Day / RHCP 

Isn’t the story that RHCP dropped out very, very late on in the mid 90s when they were booked as headliners, meaning Kravitz was bumped up to headliner. 

Pretty sure the excuse was that Flea was burnt out, but the rumour was that Kiedis had relapsed. They basically dropped Glastonbury in it at the last minute and I don’t think the festival has any appetite to reach out to a band that did that. 

Pretty sure Eavis himself said they’re not welcome back. So, unless they offer to play for free I don’t think it’s ever happening. 

1 minute ago, Matt87 said:

Isn’t the story that RHCP dropped out very, very late on in the mid 90s when they were booked as headliners, meaning Kravitz was bumped up to headliner. 

Pretty sure the excuse was that Flea was burnt out, but the rumour was that Kiedis had relapsed. They basically dropped Glastonbury in it at the last minute and I don’t think the festival has any appetite to reach out to a band that did that. 

Pretty sure Eavis himself said they’re not welcome back. So, unless they offer to play for free I don’t think it’s ever happening. 

They reportedly did offer to play for free, when Kylie dropped out in 2005, and were told no.

Though I have no idea if that's because there's still bad feelings, or if it's just quality control.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

They reportedly did offer to play for free, when Kylie dropped out in 2005, and were told no.

Though I have no idea if that's because there's still bad feelings, or if it's just quality control.

Thats certainly bad feelings in 2005 if true.