Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

On 4/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, JoeyT said:

Might have been mentioned (probably not) but David Gray is a possibility somewhere surely? Touring in the UK and has Sat & Sun available...

If so where would he be placed? Good shout for Acoustic headliner?

with him doing that White Ladder anniversary I'd imagine Pyramid early on, similar to say Sheryl Crow. People would know a lot more songs than they expect.

Was hoping Alanis Morissette would be on when I saw the rescheduled tour dates as I was supposed to be going to the Manchester gig. I'd be surprised though. 

I think RHCP are in the same category as Green Day in that Glasto has left them for the other festivals to have (R&L, TITP, IOW) etc and built relationships with other acts. Now these festivals have a) moved to a different crowd, or b) downsized so they would be too expensive for them… they’ve got nowhere to go.

Whats the point in Glastonbury giving Green Day or RHCP a leg up? It’s a favour for the band but the festival isn’t losing sleep by missing out on them. Glasto has a healthier stream of acts that are more current and safer bets. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think RHCP are in the same category as Green Day in that Glasto has left them for the other festivals to have (R&L, TITP, IOW) etc and built relationships with other acts. Now these festivals have a) moved to a different crowd, or b) downsized so they would be too expensive for them… they’ve got nowhere to go.

Whats the point in Glastonbury giving Green Day or RHCP a leg up? It’s a favour for the band but the festival isn’t losing sleep by missing out on them. Glasto has a healthier stream of acts that are more current and safer bets. 

I reckon there's a chance Green Day could take a lower slot one day in the right circumstances - I remember Billie Joe Armstrong attended in 2019 with his son playing (I think?) so has seen what its all about, and you'd imagine would want to play. RHCP don't seem like the type to get too sentimental about this stuff though. I 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How are Green Day and RHCP any different to Foos and Killers who are often at the farm?

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I reckon there's a chance Green Day could take a lower slot one day in the right circumstances - I remember Billie Joe Armstrong attended in 2019 with his son playing (I think?) so has seen what its all about, and you'd imagine would want to play. RHCP don't seem like the type to get too sentimental about this stuff though. I 

That’s what I think. I think Green Day could be a future special slot/rock slot or maybe even get the legend slot booking in a few years.

They can’t keep up the pop diva legend streak for long. They will have to diversify the slot eventually. 

If I had to make a crystal ball prediction for the future of the festival I can see way more 4th or 5th headlining slots working their way into lineups. It’s happening at other festivals and I think more acts will be open to it going forward. Headliner not necessarily meaning you close the pyramid. 

1 minute ago, George1399 said:

How are Green Day and RHCP any different to Foos and Killers who are often at the farm?

Foo fighters are a much bigger festival/touring force than both of them. Foos actually played many moons before they headlined when they were a much smaller force.

As I mentioned, The Killers have a close relationship with the festival by playing many times when they were in their infancy. It’s different.

My overall point was that Glasto haven’t touched Green Day/RHCP and they have relationships with other festivals that may no longer want them.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

RHCP hardly have anywhere to go - TRNSMT, R&L and BST would all have them and they don't tour super regularly so thats perfectly fine for them.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

RHCP hardly have anywhere to go - TRNSMT, R&L and BST would all have them and they don't tour super regularly so thats perfectly fine for them.

Maybe, but in a year where all of those options don’t work and RHCP want to do festivals they are running short.

R&L may book them, but it does feel like they aren’t jumping immediately to secure bands like them as much. 

6 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Not sure if already mentioned, but Kelly Lee Owens is in Bristol on the Saturday. Would love to see her on the farm!

Nice. She'd be a great live addition to West Holts/Park, but a DJ set would be ace too. 

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s what I think. I think Green Day could be a future special slot/rock slot or maybe even get the legend slot booking in a few years.

They did a similar special slot at Reading Festival years ago (think it was in 2012?) when they opened the R1/NME stage as they had then. So it's not inconceivable for them to do something similar, even if I get the feeling they're too busy this time around.

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe, but in a year where all of those options don’t work and RHCP want to do festivals they are running short.

R&L may book them, but it does feel like they aren’t jumping immediately to secure bands like them as much. 

Then they will just do stadiums instead - in the same way this years tour is structured with a mix of European festivals and stadium shows. I'm not sure what your point is, RHCP are hardly struggling to get by

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Then they will just do stadiums instead - in the same way this years tour is structured with a mix of European festivals and stadium shows. I'm not sure what your point is, RHCP are hardly struggling to get by

Yeah I'm in agreement with you on this. RHCP and Green Day don't tour as much as Foos because they don't have to and don't want to. Foos do/have done because they love going round the globe year on year. 

If @Matt42 is arguing that they're not the type of booking Glasto are likely to make I think that's totally baseless. Not every headline set is meant to be a 'leg-up'