Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

No idea on the size of Steroyphonics now but I think they would smash a 3rd Pyramid/Sub Other slot but there's too many others already around. 

Way too big to sub the Other, they're still selling arenas, small stadia and headlining the likes of Kendall and Truck.

They'd be a Pyramid sub these days IMO.

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

No idea on the size of Steroyphonics now but I think they would smash a 3rd Pyramid/Sub Other slot but there's too many others already around. 

Apparently they want to headline. When they were asked about Glastonbury they said something about Glastonbury rarely repeating headliners. Which makes me think they don’t want to take supporting duties.

Edited by Matt42

Paolo always did entirely what he wanted, when he wanted. In the same way a bunch of users shat their pants when Lewis Capaldi dared to take a slot at Parklife below headline level this year, some artists just want to do their own thing and aren't concerned with the endless minutae and music festival 4D chess people place so much emphasis on here.

Singer-songwriters in particular just want to have a nice life, write tunes and play music and that's totally valid. If someone like Paolo can pop up every few years with an album, please some fans and get his bills paid that's surely the dream.

Just now, jannybruck said:

Paolo always did entirely what he wanted, when he wanted. In the same way a bunch of users shat their pants when Lewis Capaldi dared to take a slot at Parklife below headline level this year, some artists just want to do their own thing and aren't concerned with the endless minutae and music festival 4D chess people place so much emphasis on here.

Singer-songwriters in particular just want to have a nice life, write tunes and play music and that's totally valid. If someone like Paolo can pop up every few years with an album, please some fans and get his bills paid that's surely the dream.

It’s a weird thing tho to cannibalise your career. Caustic Love was massive and probably could have spring boarded him to top of the bill status but he sat back and let the hype die down.

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s a weird thing tho to cannibalise your career. Caustic Love was massive and probably could have spring boarded him to top of the bill status but he sat back and let the hype die down.

He was gonna write another hit... but then he got high.

He was gonna play stadia... but then he got high.

Now he's only in Portsmouth and I know why...

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

That may be deliberate though. He may not want that hype. Plenty of people over the years have got to that top tier and then gone ‘nah, not for me.’ He May not even want to get there.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I dunno, maybe he just didn't enjoy it, or made a tonne of money and decided he didn't want it, or some stuff was going on in his personal life. People's priorities are different. Not everything has to be a cynical, gruelling hustle to ensure you get to the top of the Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

He had a fairly long gap between Sunny Side Up and Caustic Love which didn’t do much harm to his status, so he could probably be forgiven for thinking he was safe to take another extended hiatus since 2014. Maybe not eight years though(!)

14 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I dunno, maybe he just didn't enjoy it, or made a tonne of money and decided he didn't want it, or some stuff was going on in his personal life. People's priorities are different. Not everything has to be a cynical, gruelling hustle to ensure you get to the top of the Pyramid.

He went on trial for drink driving a few years ago. Would’ve been fair to want to keep a low profile while that was going on, given what the press in this country can be like. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I imagine he’s more privy to where he wants to be as an artist than you are

13 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That may be deliberate though. He may not want that hype. Plenty of people over the years have got to that top tier and then gone ‘nah, not for me.’ He May not even want to get there.

If I had an ounce of talent and was in a similar position I think I'd take the same approach as he has.

Coin it in, get to a point where you can live a comfortable life without being hassled by media every time you leave your front door etc.

Dip your toe back in when you feel like it and vanish again when it feels like it's getting too much.

1 hour ago, Stu H said:

Does it actually make them a cert? They were the one band I was hoping was on the line-up poster. I'm weighing up whether to get a ticket to one of their UK gigs, but if they're gonna be at Glastonbury then I'd watch them there instead. Tough call

2 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Does it actually make them a cert? They were the one band I was hoping was on the line-up poster. I'm weighing up whether to get a ticket to one of their UK gigs, but if they're gonna be at Glastonbury then I'd watch them there instead. Tough call

The fact they still have tickets to UK arena gigs on sale for April is a reason for them to be held back! It won't be the first time acts being held back to help sell other gigs/festivals. It is still a risk though

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It was most likely deliberate. Maybe he doesn’t want to live a celebrity lifestyle. I’d absolutely hate to be famous. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Apparently they want to headline. When they were asked about Glastonbury they said something about Glastonbury rarely repeating headliners. Which makes me think they don’t want to take supporting duties.

Lol, they are supporting Pearl Jam at BST. I don't think they're gonna turn up at the G though.

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

If I had an ounce of talent and was in a similar position I think I'd take the same approach as he has.

Coin it in, get to a point where you can live a comfortable life without being hassled by media every time you leave your front door etc.

Dip your toe back in when you feel like it and vanish again when it feels like it's getting too much.

Totally agree. I’ve no interest in sports cars or collecting Faberge eggs or having a Zoo in my back garden. Reaching a point where I could do something I love as my job and earn enough to not have to worry about money would be absolutely perfect. If that involves missing chances to be bigger and taking smaller slots at fasts than expected well so be it. My pride wouldn’t be hurt.

The Stereophonics comment about headlining again was a few years back, they seem to have accepted their current place in the world since then. 

A Killers style JP secret set, play 45 minutes of hits and bugger off, would be great. I've seen them a few times lately and they certainly have the tunes for it, despite the opinion of many on here.

• Like 1