Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

Metal is dying?

A ludicrous statement if ever I heard one. Download is far and away the biggest festival in the country dedicated to a single genre. 
Metal has always been outsider music so people who don’t follow it will always be ignorant of it. And seriously if you haven’t even heard of Ghost, that’s just you avoiding the genre. They are pretty big.
Metal is huge and plenty of Glastonbury attendees will be into it.

Edited by maelzoid
Hit submit too early.

Metal is one of the most criminally under-represented genres at the festival and I'm not sure why. The festival has seemingly distanced itself with that particular subculture over the years apart from a few notable exceptions, the most obvious one being Metallica in 2014. Even that felt like an awkward social experiment at times.

I kind of love that metal as a subculture continues to remain under the radar and at the same time it's disappointing when it gets little respect. But that only galvanizes the feelings of those who love the art form. Go to any metal festival around the world and you immediately get a sense of unity, a real "us vs popular culture" feeling. An even greater solidarity than you see at Glastonbury itself.

As much as I love electronic music, the festival is oversaturated with it. If it meant losing an area to fit more variety of music in, particularly metal, I'd be all for it. 

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

If you put a hologram of Patrick Swayze making a clay pot on stage, it would make more sense than Ghost. 

I see you've heard the same rumour about Elton John's surprise Glastonbury guest as me.

The Dua Lipa fans in the audience are going to be really surprised when the hologram pot appears

27 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Metal is one of the most criminally under-represented genres at the festival and I'm not sure why. The festival has seemingly distanced itself with that particular subculture over the years apart from a few notable exceptions, the most obvious one being Metallica in 2014. Even that felt like an awkward social experiment at times.

There are no metal fans at Glasto really. Metallica are the biggest heavy band of all time and had a fairly small crowd. Maybe the smallest Ive ever seen for a headliner.

13 minutes ago, Bmaz said:

Is it just me that thinks MGK placement on this poster is quite weird. i hate him however suprised he is billed this low when he is headlining fests in europe

Its a good festival thats why. His music is abysmal. Seems they've just stuck him on the douchebag rock stage.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

You’re assuming a lot here. Such as the music I’m familiar with and what I grew up listening to. I listened to a lot of rock and metal growing up, and I’m very familiar with pretty much all of the big players and their back catalogues.

And what I’ve gradually felt is that over time metal has dropped off the public conscious substantially and now become a huge niche. People are aware of the classics, but there’s virtually no knowledge of new emerging acts. I find it quite remarkable really, and it really signals the slow death of a genre if it’s no longer hitting highs and winning over new fans. It feels like metal is now just for who has always listened to it and there’s no “roping in” of new fans because there’s no new and exciting acts doing innovative things to garner peoples attention.

Matt you really should look up the definition of niche. You use it frequently but always incorrectly. You could say Viking Metal is a niche genre but but the entire metal branch clearly isn't.

Even when metal was at it's most popular it was never in the public conscious, it's always been looked down on by television, radio, music publications etc until metal got their own shows and magazines. I also think you think 'public conscious' means something different to what the rest of us think it means. It's such a wishy washy term to begin with.

Metal obviously won't die. No music genres die, look at disco. Jazz had it's commercial peak in the 50's and 60's and there has always been great jazz acts ever since. Name any genre since recorded music began and we can find people still making that kind of music

My original point of saying ghost are probably the metal band most known to non metal heads apart from babymetal is not a sign that the genre is dying rather that's just who all the squares who don't like metal would name first. Metal fans could name loads of bands they think are great that have emerged in the last decade or so

Think the reason Metal isn’t booked as much simply is because heavier music is often less accessible to people that aren’t specifically into it. 
From working on the door at smaller gigs including venues that are function rooms of bars/pubs etc you definitely get a lot more walk-ins from Pop/R&B music than you do from Heavy Rock and Metal

Just now, The Nal said:

There are no metal fans at Glasto really. Metallica are the biggest heavy band of all time and had a fairly small crowd. Maybe the smallest Ive ever seen for a headliner.

It's a fair point. Getting Gojira to play the Hell Stage in 2017 was a coup, and it was amazing, but the crowd was sparse. Venom Prison before them were ace, too. Maybe metalheads don't attend because there's very little metal on offer? I don't know. 

I'm not necessarily suggesting more metal acts to headline, but I definitely think there's scope for a smaller dedicated area/tent (larger than what's currently on offer) for heavier, alternative music.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Indeed.

Look at this for a lineup

Metal isn’t dying…. Look at this festival all headlined by old bands and bands who you would have already seen if you attended 3 years of metal festivals in a row!

When I say metal is dead, I say that it has a huge huge huge succession problem. It will be interesting to see what happens to the scene when a handful of these hang their guitars up.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Matt you really should look up the definition of niche. You use it frequently but always incorrectly. You could say Viking Metal is a niche genre but but the entire metal branch clearly isn't.

Even when metal was at it's most popular it was never in the public conscious, it's always been looked down on by television, radio, music publications etc until metal got their own shows and magazines. I also think you think 'public conscious' means something different to what the rest of us think it means. It's such a wishy washy term to begin with.

Metal obviously won't die. No music genres die, look at disco. Jazz had it's commercial peak in the 50's and 60's and there has always been great jazz acts ever since. Name any genre since recorded music began and we can find people still making that kind of music

My original point of saying ghost are probably the metal band most known to non metal heads apart from babymetal is not a sign that the genre is dying rather that's just who all the squares who don't like metal would name first. Metal fans could name loads of bands they think are great that have emerged in the last decade or so

I call it niche because it attend various music events throughout the year and barely bump into anyone who is a metal head. Where on earth do you hear metal in London? Nowhere.

I call it niche because I genuinely only find metal fans on festival forums.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's a fair point. Getting Gojira to play the Hell Stage in 2017 was a coup, and it was amazing, but the crowd was sparse. Venom Prison before them were ace, too. Maybe metalheads don't attend because there's very little metal on offer? I don't know. 

I'm not necessarily suggesting more metal acts to headline, but I definitely think there's scope for a smaller dedicated area/tent (larger than what's currently on offer) for heavier, alternative music.

Gojira was extremely poorly advertised, I didn't even know they were playing untill I was at the festival going through the day by day guide with a fine tooth comb. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I call it niche because it attend various music events throughout the year and barely bump into anyone who is a metal head. Where on earth do you hear metal in London? Nowhere.

I know you saw tool this year, did you not bump into any metal heads there?

I don't live in London but I can guarantee there are regular metal nights that take place, like in every city

You must see people wearing metal t shirts all the time. 

But even what you say is true is does not mean metal is niche. I just think you don't understand what the word means. 

I know a lot of people who love metal but wouldn't identify as metal heads or w.e you want to call them.

I think maybe the disconnect here is that your assuming people aren't fans of something because they aren't fitting into the stereotypical metal culture cliches you are thinking of. 

I myself enjoy most music, my favourite being blues and soul type stuff, I also enjoy quite a few metal bands like Ghost, Gojira and Tool to name a few. 

My point being you wouldn't know that unless you spoke to me as I never wear band merch or anything like that anymore. 

Edited by Xeph1995

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Metal is dying?

A ludicrous statement if ever I heard one. Download is far and away the biggest festival in the country dedicated to a single genre. 
Metal has always been outsider music so people who don’t follow it will always be ignorant of it. And seriously if you haven’t even heard of Ghost, that’s just you avoiding the genre. They are pretty big.
Metal is huge and plenty of Glastonbury attendees will be into it.

Do you think once the dinosaurs have retired they will be forced into downsizing?

The fact that download exists as the single biggest single genre festival just shows how niche it is (no issue with that of course), single genre festivals have really fell out of fashion. The next biggest is i guess wireless but thats still bundling together rap/grime etc all as one. Then your left with like kendal/truck/ynot etc but they still have djs later on too

edit: creamfields too i guess

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Nobody says metal has to headline the pyramid, a medium size metal band would have a smaller field to fill and it could then get a better audience perhaps?

Edited by gfa

38 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I know you saw tool this year, did you not bump into any metal heads there?

I don't live in London but I can guarantee there are regular metal nights that take place, like in every city

You must see people wearing metal t shirts all the time. 

But even what you say is true is does not mean metal is niche. I just think you don't understand what the word means. 

I felt like I was the youngest person at tool by a country mile, and it was clear a lot of people had come into London specifically for it.

I’m being nit picky though and I wouldn’t classify tool as metal… but that’s another chat.

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The thing is, not all metalheads and have long hair and wear battle jackets. And a hell of a lot of us also like other music as well as metal.

I count myself a metalhead, a social tribe I'm very proud to be a part of, yet to look at me, you could assume I'm not because I do not fit in with the cliche metal look. This goes for nearly all of my metalhead friends too.

So, a good chance you have bumped into loads of metal heads but just didn't realise it.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Underworld Camden, Desertfest weekender 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Underworld Camden, Desertfest weekender 

I don't often go to London but in Camden alone there's also The Devonshire Arms and The Black Heart. Tell you what though, I've never bumped into anyone who's into K-pop.

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I felt like I was the youngest person at tool by a country mile, and it was clear a lot of people had come into London specifically for it.

I’m being nit picky though and I wouldn’t classify tool as metal… but that’s another chat.

even if it was true that you were the youngest person there (which I don't believe, you are about 26 aren't you) that would not make something niche

Garth Brooks pulls an older crowd and he is not niche.

Did you take a survey of where everyone came from? Again if it was true the only person who to the gig who came from London was you (not sure if you are from London or not) then that still wouldn't make metal niche 

Tool is prog metal, though they started of as a grunge band but with an emphasis on metal.