Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t see Lewis as a headline threat for Glastonbury anymore if he’s already looking like he’s stalling at other festivals.

What I also don’t understand is why a lot of these breakout stars take 5 years to release a follow up from their debut. Career wise I think the smartest thing is to try and release a follow up 2 years after your debut if you hit it big, as you stand a better chance of being able to to do a larger tour with longer sets. 

I really don’t get this trend of releasing a big debut, maybe headlining a few smaller festivals, maybe sub a few big ones, and then just stall on their follow up. If your second album is a notch below your first then the only way is down and your positions look awkward. 

There’s an old adage about artists spending 20 years writing their debut album then only having a year to write the follow up.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t see Lewis as a headline threat for Glastonbury anymore if he’s already looking like he’s stalling at other festivals.

What I also don’t understand is why a lot of these breakout stars take 5 years to release a follow up from their debut. Career wise I think the smartest thing is to try and release a follow up 2 years after your debut if you hit it big, as you stand a better chance of being able to to do a larger tour with longer sets. 

I really don’t get this trend of releasing a big debut, maybe headlining a few smaller festivals, maybe sub a few big ones, and then just stall on their follow up. If your second album is a notch below your first then the only way is down and your positions look awkward. 

I don’t think he was ever in contention to headline Glastonbury, even when he was at his ‘peak’. These kinds of acts come and go so frequently and the people who largely call themselves fans are quick to move on to the next one once the spotlight has faded some. Sheeran barely left the spotlight and made himself an ever present force, but I can’t see (m)any of the others bothering the top of the Glastonbury lineup, despite people on here often predicting it happening in the next couple of years. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s an old adage about artists spending 20 years writing their debut album then only having a year to write the follow up.

No I get it, I’m probably making it sound more simple than it is. But think about all of the breakout bands/acts that went from newbie to headliner in a relatively short period of time.

Very few of them milked their debut album before thinking about what to do with their second. Most got that second album out as soon as they could. AM, Billie, The Killers, Stormzy, Mumford & Sons… list goes on.

Not to say there is a formula but there is a bit of a formula. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think he was ever in contention to headline Glastonbury, even when he was at his ‘peak’. These kinds of acts come and go so frequently and the people who largely call themselves fans are quick to move on to the next one once the spotlight has faded some. Sheeran barely left the spotlight and made himself an ever present force, but I can’t see (m)any of the others bothering the top of the Glastonbury lineup, despite people on here often predicting it happening in the next couple of years. 

I think George Ezra will get a plum spot soon. 

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sheeran did it by spending a lot of time touring with Taylor and breaking international markets and collaborating with big artists. It meant when his follow up released he already had a pretty solid base to work from.

Capaldi is still resting on someone you loved at the moment. It doesn’t last forever unless you diversify, and he’s taking a long time to do so.

I think this sort of eFests tunnel vision is playing in here: Lewis has always been pretty vocal about just wanting to be a decent songwriter with a fanbase who's able to play live. He's just happy to be doing his thing and that first album's success was clearly a surprise to him.

It's seemingly incomprehensible to some here but not everyone wants to be part of this fictionalised music industry chess game some of you are obsessed with where every micro-decision is supposed to be made to ensure you one day get a shout at the upper echelons of the Pyramid and if not you're essentially a failure and on your way down to the shitter. The industry is vast and varied, and artists all have different priorities and timelines of ways they want to approach their careers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think this sort of eFests tunnel vision is playing in here: Lewis has always been pretty vocal about just wanting to be a decent songwriter with a fanbase who's able to play live. He's just happy to be doing his thing and that first album's success was clearly a surprise to him.

It's seemingly incomprehensible to some here but not everyone wants to be part of this fictionalised music industry chess game some of you are obsessed with where every micro-decision is supposed to be made to ensure you one day get a shout at the upper echelons of the Pyramid and if not you're essentially a failure and on your way down to the shitter. The industry is vast and varied, and artists all have different priorities and timelines of ways they want to approach their careers.

Excellent post.

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Do you guys Stromae will be playing the big G? 

And on a similar note: how big is he in the UK? He's headlining a lot of fests this year and playing really high slots at places where I wouldn't have thought he'd be this big. Subbing Sziget, NOS Alive, second line at Coachella,... 

Hardly anyone knows who he is over here. 

12 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

And on a similar note: how big is he in the UK? He's headlining a lot of fests this year and playing really high slots at places where I wouldn't have thought he'd be this big. Subbing Sziget, NOS Alive, second line at Coachella,... 

Pretty sure last time he played was in silver hayes. 

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

High up West Holts wouldn't seem unreasonable.

I just read that apparently David Byrne plucked Jim White from obscurity and gave him a 6 record deal, so I think (in keeping with the spirit of this forum) it's only reasonable to assume they've asked Talking Heads to reform and play Glastonbury and Byrne has said only on the proviso that Jim White also plays.

So Talking Heads confirmed for 2022.

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Another one for Flo 

Also Oya Festival in Oslo, Norway the day before.

They do bill each of these shows as 'one of the bands few European shows in 2022', which I think just means they're not touring mainland Europe until 2023 but take it for what you will. I still expect a UK tour if not some UK festival slots in 2022

Edited by shivroy

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Not to be confused with jimmy white who is seeking that elusive B2b with steve davis

Or Jim White the Sky Sports presenter who is looking for a commenting job on ticket day as a bit of a change from transfer deadline day.