Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

When have the festival ever done that though? The last act is always the headliner.

Last doesnt always mean that. But maybe they should consider something like that. Its nice to have that flexibility. Imagine if it was Kendrick vs Nick on friday and they had Fatboy close out Pyramid. You would be able to see both acts now.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Last doesnt always mean that. But maybe they should consider something like that. Its nice to have that flexibility. Imagine if it was Kendrick vs Nick on friday and they had Fatboy close out Pyramid. You would be able to see both acts now.

At other festivals yes, but at Glastonbury the last act is always billed as the headliner.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Are you saying this applies to all 80+ stages or just the main 5? Im sure we can deep dive and find that last doesnt always equal headline.

Probably not at the dancier stages that stay open well into the early hours. But for the main stages that all close around midnight, yes.

Can we talk about whether the acts playing the September event are more likely or less likely to turn up at the festival?

I’ve seen blossoms have changed their dates and look to be playing. I imagine they would take a largish slot on the other stage. Is there any way that they could be offering slots for the September Glastonbury (potentially headline / sub headline) level to relieve pressure on the 2022 lineup if they have a lot of people waiting to play?

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can we talk about whether the acts playing the September event are more likely or less likely to turn up at the festival?

I think you’ll see a few mid-tier acts playing both, someone like James or the Manics for instance. But I wouldn’t expect to see the September headliners on next year’s bill.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think you’ll see a few mid-tier acts playing both, someone like James or the Manics for instance. But I wouldn’t expect to see the September headliners on next year’s bill.

I know this comment isn’t going to go down well.

Putting it delicately for artists like Elbow, The Specials, Manic Street Preachers, Metronomy, Blossoms, Dizzee Rascal etc who can play any year - it might be a gentle way of taking them off the lineup to make space for acts more in demand.

Not all acts booked for 2020 need to come back in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Putting it delicately for artists like Elbow, The Specials, Manic Street Preachers, Metronomy, Blossoms, Dizzee Rascal etc who can play any year - it might be a gentle way of taking them off the lineup to make space for acts more in demand.

Who are you proposing we replace them with?

Who are you proposing we replace them with?

They were definitely in talks with some acts for 2021 and beyond pre-pandemic.  Probably some very exciting bookings. 

I don’t have names but I think they should accommodate space for fresh acts on the 2022 circuit 

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They were definitely in talks with some acts for 2021 and beyond pre-pandemic.  Probably some very exciting bookings. 

I don’t have names but I think they should accommodate space for fresh acts on the 2022 circuit 

Not everything has to be “fresh” and not everybody wants that. There is plenty of room on the bill for the hot young acts you enjoy as well as some of the older heads who have been around a while.

The key is balance.

• Upvote 1

Not everything has to be “fresh” and not everybody wants that. There is plenty of room on the bill for the hot young acts you enjoy as well as some of the older heads who have been around a while.

The key is balance.

I’m not talking about younger acts, acts like Nick Cave, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Beck are on the market who weren’t in 2020. 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Taylor too. She's been trading the boards for quite a while now. Lives in the UK too, so could do it any year. She should make way for the youngsters

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not talking about younger acts, acts like Nick Cave, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Beck are on the market who weren’t in 2020. 

And surely those acts could play any year? Does the festival have a moral obligation to offer first refusal to the acts who have been unable to play for the last two years through no fault of their own?

Personally I don’t care whether they were booked for 2020 or not. I just want the best possible lineup. But that’s subjective, the acts you’ve suggested ditching would be big draws for large numbers of people.

I’ll trust the bookers to pick the right lineup.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And surely those acts could play any year? Does the festival have a moral obligation to offer first refusal to the acts who have been unable to play for the last two years through no fault of their own?

Personally I don’t care whether they were booked for 2020 or not. I just want the best possible lineup. But that’s subjective, the acts you’ve suggested ditching would be big draws for large numbers of people.

I’ll trust the bookers to pick the right lineup.

I think you’ve misunderstood Matt a bit. I don’t think he’s suggesting they ditch specific acts to book other ones, more that there’s clearly going to be a lot of acts around next summer and there’s only so many places available on the lineup. One way of rebooking a lot of the 2020 lineup as well as keeping things fresh would be to not rebook any of the acts playing the September event for next year’s festival. The acts playing in September are more likely to be the standard British acts who play every few years like Blossoms, Manics etc rather, it’s not a big deal if they wait another few years before playing the main festival as they’re always around anyway. 

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think you’ve misunderstood Matt a bit. I don’t think he’s suggesting they ditch specific acts to book other ones, more that there’s clearly going to be a lot of acts around next summer and there’s only so many places available on the lineup. One way of rebooking a lot of the 2020 lineup as well as keeping things fresh would be to not rebook any of the acts playing the September event for next year’s festival. The acts playing in September are more likely to be the standard British acts who play every few years like Blossoms, Manics etc rather, it’s not a big deal if they wait another few years before playing the main festival as they’re always around anyway. 

Matt’s talking specifically about moving acts off the bill to make way for others. 

It’s a tough balancing act, yes there probably are “fresher” acts available next year but at the same time the festival booked an entire lineup last year and plenty of those acts would expect the festival to honour their commitment.

Personally I think the final lineup will be somewhere in the middle. A new lineup with plenty of 2020’s acts included but with different placings (no way FBS is headlining the Other next year) and a smattering of “fresher” acts to fill the gaps where acts aren’t returning for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Primavera looks awesome.

The Strokes need to play, I’d throw an outside bet as headlining JP if we’ve got strong Pyramid and Other headliners that night.

I think they’d be way too big for the JP. Especially if there wasn’t a guitar act on either Pyramid or Other.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I think they’d be way too big for the JP. Especially if there wasn’t a guitar act on either Pyramid or Other.

The Strokes aren’t headlining the John Peel 😅 I don’t think there’s many a festival that they don’t headline outright, never mind in a piddly little stage. I doubt they’ll ever play Glastonbury.

Yeah, I don’t think they’ll play. I just like to dream; I don’t think their stock is high enough to headline the Other stage anymore if by some miracle they do play.

7 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Primavera looks awesome.

The Strokes need to play, I’d throw an outside bet as headlining JP if we’ve got strong Pyramid and Other headliners that night.

Already in the market for a new rib if the strokes headline JP

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Thank you - yeah @Hugh Jass the point is they will have been talking to some acts about 2021 and beyond already and had an idea of who would be around in a year or so’s time. I think a September event would be a good way of making sure you honour as many bookings as possible, while not shutting the door on acts that were lined up for 2021 instead of 2020.

You yourself suggested Dua headlining the September event to give her a better slot in 2023. It’s the same feeling. I think it works better than 2020, 2021 and even 2022 options all trying to pile on one year.

Dunno, they sold out APE last time...

I think they sell their shows because it’s full of people in their late 20’s and early 30’s who loved them in the 2000’s and we have to wait every few years for a show here or there.

🤷🏻‍♂️ Again, I don’t think they’d play. But I’m shoehorning them in 

Just now, Andy0808 v5 said:

I think they sell their shows because it’s full of people in their late 20’s and early 30’s who loved them in the 2000’s and we have to wait every few years for a show here or there.

🤷🏻‍♂️ Again, I don’t think they’d play. But I’m shoehorning them in 

They need to just get over themselves and headline the other stage.

They are in a weird position where they are a strong sub, very strong other headline, but would be a very weak headliner.