Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

6 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Not massively into Ginger Mick. But this particular video is good craic, credit where credit's due - 

I'd not even considered them before someone asked me on The Thingy twitter. They've done it before (1986!) but I'm struggling to think where they'd go.

Pyramid seems the obvious choice but no idea on placement. Would they want to headline? Could they sub? Are they too big for West Holts?

I think they'd probably go down quite well.

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Just to further the point about money being no object for Coachella; I’m pretty sure I’ve read before that they have made ludicrous offers for The Smiths to reunite in years gone by? 

Yeah a couple times they offered a lot to them, everyone except Moz said no to that. They had an offer and almost signed Velvet Underground for one year. Black Sabbath almost happened. The Clash was one they wanted but then Strummer passed away. White whale had been Bowie of course. I mean they got Bauhaus because The Killers backed off on being a sub in 05 so they just went another route. Although Cocteau Twins cancelling was a big bummer. 

Radiohead in 04 was their first million dollar pay check for a headliner. Macca got 3-5 mil In 09. Prince was similar and he was way last minute cause thats Prince. 

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

@dentalplan

@Suprefan

They dont always get three earth shattering sized headliners though do they? They tend to have at least one smaller headliner in the mix each year. 

Not totally, and what is a small headliner nowadays anyway. The standards are different. Ive said it before that headlining Coachella is more of a big kingmaker type of thing than Glasto. Cause a uk act can get elevated at Glasto and have a big career cause of it in the uk/europe but it doesnt translate to the u.s. How does Stormzy go from headlining and a sold out arena tour to only booking 2000 cap venues in north america. Like Dua Lipa is on the course for example. Theres only a handful of acts that transcend. Just about how you look at it and set your expectations.

I dont know how Radiohead, Beyonce and Kendrick in 2017 was considered not earth shattering for example to a line up. I mean the fest does have a “budget” but sometimes that goes out the door. They can kind of fiddle around with undercard artist fees because they sign on for local dates in between and around the festival. Plus future touring commitments. So the acts will be making money with some likely sold out shows to go with the festival appearance. And of course agents make it even more complicated cause theyll hold a key act hostage unless the fest signs on a few others from roster. Its very cutthroat in that aspect. Ever want to consider if Emily has been put into that position? You can’t sign Taylor unless shite bands x,y and z also join? Happens here every year.

2019 ended up being 2 replacements with one that was signed normally for example. Tame Impala replaced Justin Timberlake because of his rescheduled tour dates overlapping. So 2019 wouldve been Kanye, Timberlake and Childish Gambino. Timberlake was supposed to be on the 2018 line up until Beyonce got pregnant. He was willing and able to push the festival commitment a year cause theyve been signing acts that far in advance for a while now. And Tame Impala was slated for 2020 so who knows how that line up might have looked not knowing about Rage coming so late into the frame, maybe they pushed back another year? So possibly MCR, Tame, Frank Ocean? MCR, Rage, Tame? Travis Scott, Tame, Rage? Rage, Frank, MCR? Rage, Frank, MCR/Tame? Thats how fluid things can get and Coachella has backup headliners ready to go.( RHCP was the back up for the almost VU )  So this coming year with headliner 3 open its interesting because there are a lot of options and either somebody chooses to do it this year or maybe waits for 2023 or even 2024? But in the end, there is no formula per say. Glasto has a clear one, Coachella just does what it does and most of the other american fests have to follow. But if there was one its maybe “Pop Star”, Rapper, Legacy/Rock/Reunion for right now.

anyway end rant, and good morning/afternoon

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah a couple times they offered a lot to them, everyone except Moz said no to that. They had an offer and almost signed Velvet Underground for one year. Black Sabbath almost happened. The Clash was one they wanted but then Strummer passed away. White whale had been Bowie of course. I mean they got Bauhaus because The Killers backed off on being a sub in 05 so they just went another route. Although Cocteau Twins cancelling was a big bummer. 

Radiohead in 04 was their first million dollar pay check for a headliner. Macca got 3-5 mil In 09. Prince was similar and he was way last minute cause thats Prince. 

Not totally, and what is a small headliner nowadays anyway. The standards are different. Ive said it before that headlining Coachella is more of a big kingmaker type of thing than Glasto. Cause a uk act can get elevated at Glasto and have a big career cause of it in the uk/europe but it doesnt translate to the u.s. How does Stormzy go from headlining and a sold out arena tour to only booking 2000 cap venues in north america. Like Dua Lipa is on the course for example. Theres only a handful of acts that transcend. Just about how you look at it and set your expectations.

I dont know how Radiohead, Beyonce and Kendrick in 2017 was considered not earth shattering for example to a line up. I mean the fest does have a “budget” but sometimes that goes out the door. They can kind of fiddle around with undercard artist fees because they sign on for local dates in between and around the festival. Plus future touring commitments. So the acts will be making money with some likely sold out shows to go with the festival appearance. And of course agents make it even more complicated cause theyll hold a key act hostage unless the fest signs on a few others from roster. Its very cutthroat in that aspect. Ever want to consider if Emily has been put into that position? You can’t sign Taylor unless shite bands x,y and z also join? Happens here every year.

2019 ended up being 2 replacements with one that was signed normally for example. Tame Impala replaced Justin Timberlake because of his rescheduled tour dates overlapping. So 2019 wouldve been Kanye, Timberlake and Childish Gambino. Timberlake was supposed to be on the 2018 line up until Beyonce got pregnant. He was willing and able to push the festival commitment a year cause theyve been signing acts that far in advance for a while now. And Tame Impala was slated for 2020 so who knows how that line up might have looked not knowing about Rage coming so late into the frame, maybe they pushed back another year? So possibly MCR, Tame, Frank Ocean? MCR, Rage, Tame? Travis Scott, Tame, Rage? Rage, Frank, MCR? Rage, Frank, MCR/Tame? Thats how fluid things can get and Coachella has backup headliners ready to go.( RHCP was the back up for the almost VU )  So this coming year with headliner 3 open its interesting because there are a lot of options and either somebody chooses to do it this year or maybe waits for 2023 or even 2024? But in the end, there is no formula per say. Glasto has a clear one, Coachella just does what it does and most of the other american fests have to follow. But if there was one its maybe “Pop Star”, Rapper, Legacy/Rock/Reunion for right now.

anyway end rant, and good morning/afternoon

Really enjoyed reading this. Find the process process of festivals and booking acts so fascinating. Absolutely devoured that Coachella doc that came out last year. 

Had also forgot about the Cocteau Twins part, that's an interesting what if.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

And of course agents make it even more complicated cause theyll hold a key act hostage unless the fest signs on a few others from roster. Its very cutthroat in that aspect. Ever want to consider if Emily has been put into that position? You can’t sign Taylor unless shite bands x,y and z also join? Happens here every year.

Never really thought about this, anyone able to say if this happens in the UK too? It sounds like a very american practice to me

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Never really thought about this, anyone able to say if this happens in the UK too? It sounds like a very american practice to me

Im sure it does. Considering there are only a handful of agencies in the world that control most of the talent, it likely happens in the uk and europe but nobody pays too much attention to it or is curious about that sort of thing. Below are some images of the 2020 line up  changed with who represents them and a breakdown. You’ll see the monopoly that exists. This website is the one that broke it down. You might be able to see how it is with a glasto line up.

https://beta.rostr.cc

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

Really enjoyed reading this. Find the process process of festivals and booking acts so fascinating. Absolutely devoured that Coachella doc that came out last year. 

Had also forgot about the Cocteau Twins part, that's an interesting what if.

Theres a lot of that stuff that never sees the light of day. There was an interview with  the New Yorker with Paul Tollet who created Coachella and it went through how it gets done. And the one quote which got taken totally out of context was about Kate Bush, but if you read it he was clearly just spit balling names and then it was just “coachella didnt want kate bush” when it wasnt the case.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/17/the-mastermind-behind-coachella

3E23F7E0-1446-41E2-A6A1-06F0866F7562.jpeg

214910D6-146A-478C-A140-FCC8459F7137.jpeg

FEB40CF2-8896-4B38-B468-65D4E785299F.jpeg

F49A19A3-C711-48F4-B4BC-1EA4DAAE9151.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I worked BTS at a (very large) UK festival's office for a couple of years and saw some of the minutae that goes on in terms of booking – the "holding an act hostage unless you book other acts from the agent's roster" is definitely a thing in the states but done in a much friendlier business way here: the festival would want the headliner or large act, and then the agent would come up with good deals for their other smaller acts based on booking the headliner. It's an easy way for a festival booker to put together a chunk of a lineup without needing to go through a headache-inducing bartering process for every single one of them.

• Upvote 1

Always very obvious but Groove Armada are doing festivals next summer. I think it's safe to assume they'll be playing given they were on the 2020 lineup and throw in the fact they're calling their tour their last ever (although they've done that before...).

Link for doing fests: