Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers approached the festival once asking to play for free, but the festival already had all headliners in place so they were rejected. The story is often distorted into 'Michael Eavis EPIC SHUTDOWN REVENGE' on these boards.

I think I read it was after Kylie pull out but the festival had already lined up Basement Jaxx. 

Just now, Gnomicide said:

I think I read it was after Kylie pull out but the festival had already lined up Basement Jaxx. 

It was 2007. Can't access the page at the moment but this is what it said (from what I copied and pasted to someone else who said that it was Michael getting revenge for 1993).

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/07/070123a.shtml

Other information revealed by Martin Elbourne (the man who books the bands for Glastonbury's Pyramid, Other, and John Peel stages) is that [...] Glastonbury turned down an approach from the Red Hot Chili Peppers even though they offered to perform for free.

Based on a recent conversation eFestivals had with Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis, this decision isn't likely to be a snub to RHCP, but simply an issue of being unable to schedule such a big band into the line-up when all the top slots had already been filled. Michael Eavis has previously revealed that Justin Timberlake had to be turned away for this reason.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It was 2007. Can't access the page at the moment but this is what it said (from what I copied and pasted to someone else who said that it was Michael getting revenge for 1993).

I've found the link I read it on. Still not conclusive. 

[Meanwhile, the mystery behind the group which was called the "biggest band in the world" by Mr Eavis, who said he had been contacted by them to discuss the line-up for Glastonbury, could finally be solved. It is believed that the group in question is the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

But Mr Eavis, who would not confirm the band's identity, said they would have to play a non-headlining act on the Pyramid stage. "It had gone public that Kylie [Minogue] was not doing her slot. The band phoned up and said would we make them an offer and that they would be around that weekend as they were going to be in Europe. I couldn't offer them a headline slot because they were filled. We tried to persuade them to do two or three on the bill under headliners. We are now waiting for them to respond.]

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/glastonbury-returns-and-guess-who-will-star-as-a-headline-act-433716.html

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I've found the link I read it on. Still not conclusive. 

[Meanwhile, the mystery behind the group which was called the "biggest band in the world" by Mr Eavis, who said he had been contacted by them to discuss the line-up for Glastonbury, could finally be solved. It is believed that the group in question is the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

But Mr Eavis, who would not confirm the band's identity, said they would have to play a non-headlining act on the Pyramid stage. "It had gone public that Kylie [Minogue] was not doing her slot. The band phoned up and said would we make them an offer and that they would be around that weekend as they were going to be in Europe. I couldn't offer them a headline slot because they were filled. We tried to persuade them to do two or three on the bill under headliners. We are now waiting for them to respond.]

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/glastonbury-returns-and-guess-who-will-star-as-a-headline-act-433716.html

They weren't around that weekend in 2005 though. Didn't play any European dates that year according to Setlist.fm.

But even in the case it was them, it's exactly the same deal - the headline slots were filled.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They weren't around that weekend in 2005 though. Didn't play any European dates that year according to Setlist.fm.

But even in the case it was them, it's exactly the same deal - the headline slots were filled.

In that case they probably weren't "the biggest band in the world" and that article has fucked it up.

Sounds about right.

I know it was a different time back then when men had to be mentally strong and Flea's chronic fatigue syndrome was dismissed as being bone idle but it'd be an incredibly bad look for Mr. Eavis if he held a grudge for 30 years about a band pulling out with a medically diagnosed disorder. Even if it is the Chili Peppers.

54 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know it was a different time back then when men had to be mentally strong and Flea's chronic fatigue syndrome was dismissed as being bone idle but it'd be an incredibly bad look for Mr. Eavis if he held a grudge for 30 years about a band pulling out with a medically diagnosed disorder. Even if it is the Chili Peppers.

Can’t Michael just acknowledge that they’re shit like everyone else does?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

U2 offered to play for free. Maybe they first approached the festival back in 2005

U2 were originally pencilled in to play the 2005 festival. Don't know if it was ever officially contracted, but both sides had agreed it was going to happen and were planning for it until everything changed almost overnight in late 2004. I've gone through what I know a couple times previously so won't post all the details again, but they definitely wouldn't have been playing for free and the reason they didn't play in the end was very much money related - signing a worldwide exclusive deal covering touring, merchandise, and some other things with the company that'd eventually become Live Nation (would've been SFX or CCE at the time).

That exclusive deal would've ruled out them offering to be a late replacement for Kylie, whether for free or not. The eventual tour dates pretty much ruled them out as well - while they didn't have a show on that Sunday, adding Glastonbury would've meant playing 4 nights in a row which they never do.

44 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I don't have it with me but I'm fairly certain in the Glastonbury book Emily says when Bono approached them he offered to play for free and Emily said of course we will pay you. Maybe someone else could check

That may well have happened at some point, but it definitely won't have been referring to replacing Kylie in 2005 and I don't think it would have been part of the earlier discussions they had regarding 2005. It may have been when they came back into the picture for 2010/11, as they seemed very keen by that point.

That line up is great. Florence a great addition as well. The headliners generally don't do much for me, but the 2nd row on each day is excellent.

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Phoebe for Park headliner on Friday pls 🙏 

Not sure they'd stick her against Billie? Hoping she's on earlier in the day, because deep down I'm feeling that she's against Macca.

10 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I wonder where Florence will end up next summer. BST seem to like booking her so maybe there again. 

Surprised she's active next year, thought she was working on a theatre project.

She's a tough one to place without hearing any new music. Last album was very low key and kind of slipped under the radar for many people. If she's back with more bombastic stuff then she'll find herself back at the top of bills.

Based on nothing but a feeling... Latitude.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

That line up is great. Florence a great addition as well. The headliners generally don't do much for me, but the 2nd row on each day is excellent.

Not sure they'd stick her against Billie? Hoping she's on earlier in the day, because deep down I'm feeling that she's against Macca.

Could Phoebe get a mid afternoon slot in the Other Stage?