Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

In fairness saying you're going to do a green tour, but insist on flying round in a private jet, is pretty ridiculous. Surely taking commercial flights would save much, much more energy than any other gimmick like a 'kinetic dancefloor'. Ridiculous stuff. 

Are they taking private jets? Haven't seen any mention of it.

I agree that it's not the way to go, although a chartered flight with all the crew on board would probably work out fairly efficient. The kinetic floor does seem a bit gimmicky - how many extra lorries does it need to cart it round from stadium to stadium?

These points aside, I do applaud them at least making the effort. With any luck, other bands will get on board with it too. 

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Are they taking private jets? Haven't seen any mention of it.

I agree that it's not the way to go, although a chartered flight with all the crew on board would probably work out fairly efficient. The kinetic floor does seem a bit gimmicky - how many extra lorries does it need to cart it round from stadium to stadium?

These points aside, I do applaud them at least making the effort. With any luck, other bands will get on board with it too. 

The singer said he accepted there would be backlash about some of their activities, such as continuing to fly on private jets.

"I don't mind any backlash at all," he said. "We're trying our best, and we haven't got it perfect. Absolutely. We always have backlash for everything.

"And the people that give us backlash for that kind of thing, for flying, they're right. So we don't have any argument against that."

Taken from the BBC article about the tour announcement. Pretty much self-parody at this point. If they really wanted to change the way that they and other bands your, then actually change it. Be the first big band to minimise their stage show, travel commercially, plan a tour that's vastly reduced in carbon omissions, even if it takes twice as long. Instead it's just gimmicks and empty platitude, be better if they just shut up about it and carried on as normal, rather than indulging in smug, self-congratulatory back slapping for actually doing next to fuck all. Laughable how their eco-tour plans rely on the audience doing all the work cos they can't be fucked to do it themselves and make any actual, tangible sacrifices. 

• Upvote 1

I dont know why you admit that sort of thing to begin with. Oh yeah, why arent they even using biodiesel tour busses? Or even electric ones? That exists in this day and age, especially partnering with BMW. I think Amazon has an electric shipping truck fleet. Their carbon footprint is also large due to the production theyll be using. So 40 trucks of equipment have to be moved around. Wheres the innovation on reducing that and making an efficient and space saving production anyway. 

10 hours ago, kingbadger said:

The singer said he accepted there would be backlash about some of their activities, such as continuing to fly on private jets.

"I don't mind any backlash at all," he said. "We're trying our best, and we haven't got it perfect. Absolutely. We always have backlash for everything.

"And the people that give us backlash for that kind of thing, for flying, they're right. So we don't have any argument against that."

Taken from the BBC article about the tour announcement. Pretty much self-parody at this point. If they really wanted to change the way that they and other bands your, then actually change it. Be the first big band to minimise their stage show, travel commercially, plan a tour that's vastly reduced in carbon omissions, even if it takes twice as long. Instead it's just gimmicks and empty platitude, be better if they just shut up about it and carried on as normal, rather than indulging in smug, self-congratulatory back slapping for actually doing next to fuck all. Laughable how their eco-tour plans rely on the audience doing all the work cos they can't be fucked to do it themselves and make any actual, tangible sacrifices. 

Yep, that's ridiculous. They really should avoid planes accept for crossing oceans ie. do all of Europe by bus or train (and yes, electric vehicles should be used). There is no time saving to be made by going by plane, as all the gear needs to go by land anyway. The only reason to use private jets is convenience and comfort.

I think I'm going off Coldplay...

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

There is no time saving to be made by going by plane, as all the gear needs to go by land anyway. The only reason to use private jets is convenience and comfort.

That's arguable.

On some larger stadium tours, especially ones with complex or custom staging, it's pretty common for there to be multiple (usually about two or three) sets of equipment being pushed around the place - so at any given time one or more set might be being transported, assembled, in use, or dismantled somewhere different than the band currently is.

I've not read the stuff they've put out so no idea if this tour will fall into that category or not, but it's pretty common.

7 minutes ago, incident said:

That's arguable.

On some larger stadium tours, especially ones with complex or custom staging, it's pretty common for there to be multiple (usually about two or three) sets of equipment being pushed around the place - so at any given time one or more set might be being transported, assembled, in use, or dismantled somewhere different than the band currently is.

I've not read the stuff they've put out so no idea if this tour will fall into that category or not, but it's pretty common.

You're absolutely right. The "leap frog" system.

And it might be the case here, but fabricating two lots of equipment also has an environmental impact. The truth of it is, the more environmental a tour is, the more time-consuming and inconvenient it becomes for those on it.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

That's arguable.

But the thing is that it doesnt seem this production is the type to need multiples of to move around. Probably one way to cut down on the footprint. Its not U2 who had 3 claw stages built for the 360 tour because they took 6 days to build. Theyre doing 5 - 7 dates at a time and its very spread out. Big tours try to maximize performances due to their scale so you can start making a profit sooner than later. So why does it take 3 months for the band to complete 11 dates in the u.s. for example? They did that in a month on the previous tour with minimal gaps in their schedule.

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

But the thing is that it doesnt seem this production is the type to need multiples of to move around. Probably one way to cut down on the footprint. Its not U2 who had 3 claw stages built for the 360 tour because they took 6 days to build. Theyre doing 5 - 7 dates at a time and its very spread out. Big tours try to maximize performances due to their scale so you can start making a profit sooner than later. So why does it take 3 months for the band to complete 11 dates in the u.s. for example? They did that in a month on the previous tour with minimal gaps in their schedule.

Even assuming that there's no further dates announced - I don't think it's realistic that they can do for example stadium shows in Phoenix on May 3rd, Dallas on May 6th, and then Houston on May 8th with a single set of staging.

I can't see how the overall length of the tour makes any difference, as it's the amount of time between individual shows that's going to be the logistical factor here, not the nearly 3 week gaps that are (currently) baked in to the schedule.

The staging may well not be U2 360 level, as obviously that's the most extreme example - but even a basic set up is going to need allowance for a couple days to build and another day to break and so either they'll be using generic staging hired locally, or they'll have more than one set on tour. Both are possible, but given we're talking about Coldplay here I suspect it'll be the latter.

Red Hot Chili Peppers have revealed details of the 2022 UK Stadium Tour, as part of the band's World Tour next summer! The group will now come to London Stadium on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th June. Special guests for Saturday will be Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals and Thundercat, with Thundercat + more on Sunday. 

Anderson P for the sunday @ glasto then ?

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I'd guess it's maybe more likely Andy P and Thundercat post up on Friday.

I put Paak either 5th/6th Pyramid or 3rd/4th Other. Thundercat will sub WH.

I think Anderson Paak was Friday last year, at least the Free Nationals were in one of the Silver Hayes Spotify playlists as playing there on Friday so it would make sense for both to have played on the same day. Obviously we know some acts have changed days already though if they’re back, so that might not necessarily be the same next year.

1 hour ago, AlexOvd said:

Don't think will happen but Kaleo could play on Saturday as he would be in London on Friday... 

IMG_20211016_140908.jpg

Some acts do play as part of three days in a row. I remember Ellie Goulding in 2014 or something was country hopping like mad. She had shows the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday including Glastonbury Sunday - each one of these shows was in a different country.

I think it’s usually the bigger acts / ones with stage shows that have breaks between their gigs.