Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

My issue with Coldplay (and it is my issue, not theirs) is that they used to make music I like, now they don't.

I have trouble comprehending how they went from Rush of Blood To The Head (side one of which has an amazing run of songs) to the dreadful stuff they've defecated out since Mylo Xyloto

Their 2011 set was superb, I didn't bother in 2016 and thank God for that. I've watched it back and it has its moments but it also has Barry Gibb. 

Anyhoo. I don't want them there because there's only been two festivals since they last did it, none if you count Live From Worthy Farm. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Just saying what I see. People who have a particularly focussed dislike toward him never seem to miss an opportunity to mention how "self-righteous" they think he is. It definitely seems to be part and parcel of his criticism.

He seems a lovely fella and I'd like to be his friend. As long as he doesn't pop round too often.

19 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I think we're losing sight of how Coldplay are just a bit pants here.

I think we're just trying to decipher why being 'just a bit pants' = massive vitriol. It seems that most people here who don't like them, tend to think of them as not very good, too bland, insipid etc. rather than the worst possible sound they can imagine. Chris Martin is annoying rather than the worst human who existed. And yet they seem to attract absolute hatred...

This is an Internet forum, every act mentioned should be getting vitriolic abuse. Rather than asking why Chris Martin and Coldplay get abuse, we should all be consciously upping our game to bring every other act a similar level of hatred. That way people won't feel Chris and the lads have been singled out.

Edited by kingbadger

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think we're just trying to decipher why being 'just a bit pants' = massive vitriol. It seems that most people here who don't like them, tend to think of them as not very good, too bland, insipid etc. rather than the worst possible sound they can imagine. Chris Martin is annoying rather than the worst human who existed. And yet they seem to attract absolute hatred...

I think you're confusing amount of "hate" with strength of hate. They've been very very popular for a very very long time now so you're gonna get a lot of posts about them being a bit boring. It's the same thing with Nickelback. 

Also sometimes as much fun as it is to collectively like something, it's also fun to collectively dislike something for a bit of fun on the net, I'm happy to back out if this conversation if we're past that.

36 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

He seems a lovely fella and I'd like to be his friend. As long as he doesn't pop round too often.

Ah, a quiet Saturday. Kids are out, wife's away with her mates. Just me, the telly and a takeaway. Bliss.

*knock knock* You home mate?

Oh FFS Chris...

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned the 'back.

The thing is they really fucking suck. And they deserve all the abuse they get. Perhaps even a bit more.

Much like U2, Nickelback are hated because of how big and ubiquitous they are, and because they champion worthy causes. People just love to hate things other people love. (cue predictable reply: "No, I don't hate them because other people love them, I hate them because they're shite!") 

It seems you can be an actual c**t (like Chris Martin for example) and get far less hate than Chad Kroeger gets.

I think Nickelback are a great band (even if their recent records have been a bit patchy) and will definitely be getting tickets for next summer. That said, invite them to headline Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

I feel the same about Coldplay as I do about U2. Which is to say, I'm not really a fan of either band (except U2 up until 1992), but both get more stick for trying to go in the right direction with a lot of things than bands who just, well, tour without any mention of that. 

(I'm not justifying the U2 tax thing when I say that, obviously, although I bet a lot of bands have done similar) 

4 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

I feel the same about Coldplay as I do about U2. Which is to say, I'm not really a fan of either band (except U2 up until 1992), but both get more stick for trying to go in the right direction with a lot of things than bands who just, well, tour without any mention of that. 

(I'm not justifying the U2 tax thing when I say that, obviously, although I bet a lot of bands have done similar) 

Zooropa is great. But yes, everything after that was at best inessential.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Much like U2, Coldplay are hated because of how big and ubiquitous they are, and because they champion worthy causes.

As an Irish person, can I just say lots of Irish people hate Bono (and as a result, U2) because he’s a smarmy  tax-dodging prick, completely unrelated to whatever worthy causes he champions. 

Edited by MaxPower

Chris and the lads are consumate professionals and as far as I know, have never dialed-in a show, and that's hugely important as I'd imagine it's difficult not to as part of a mammoth world tour.

I'm a little surprised at the level of vitriol towards them on here because surely they've lived the ultimate Glastonbury dream, from punters to headliners. Musical content aside, they get the festival, promote the organisation at every opportunity, buy into its charitable ethos and support the Eavis family. Without doubt they have played no small part in contributing to where the festival finds itself today. And I for one respect that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I'm in a minority of people who dislike coldplay but don't think Chris Martin is annoying. He's funnier than the average musician 

He was somewhat amusing in a cameo on Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is more than I expected when I saw it featured him and had an instinctive "... oh no" when seeing Wikipedia note he was on it. Bit like when I went to see The Last Leg and had Mumford & Sons as a guest - found the 2 of them who joined in with the rest of the show better out of the musical context than when they played a pretty dull song.

I don't think I go as overboard as when younger and really would join in the "Coldplay boo" bandwagon. Clocks is alright but I really don't like Paradise or Viva La Vida, which is enough for me to tend to go "... nah".

Good for them for giving the eco-tour initiative attempt a go tbf. How practical it is compared to other comparable events may well be another thing to keep an eye on, but I guess if nothing else they're giving it a go.

In fairness saying you're going to do a green tour, but insist on flying round in a private jet, is pretty ridiculous. Surely taking commercial flights would save much, much more energy than any other gimmick like a 'kinetic dancefloor'. Ridiculous stuff.