Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I think at this point, Glastonbury can pretty much pick and choose. I'm sure they could secure Coldplay, Muse and Sheeran for next summer, which would be an insanely popular choice, but they're trying to mix it up a bit. Which is one of the things that make it such a great festival.

When Coldplay return after a decent break, say in 2026, it will be far more impactful for them and the festival.

There's no guarantee they'll be about though. They'll likely be about in 2023, which is when I suspect they'd headline.

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Much like U2, Coldplay are hated because of how big and ubiquitous they are, and because they champion worthy causes. People just love to hate things other people love.

I think that's probably it, in a nutshell. Some people have a very high regard for their own taste, and seem especially triggered when artists they dislike are popular. In my experience, many Radiohead fans are especially guilty of this.

There's also a weird closet anti-woke thing going on against Chris Martin - it's never explicit, but whenever he attracts criticism there's often mutterings about his social and environmental conscience. It's weird. Can't the guy be a talented musician and socially cognisant? I don't see how that's annoying, personally. To each their own, I guess.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

There's also a weird closet anti-woke thing going on against Chris Martin - it's never explicit, but whenever he attracts criticism there's often mutterings about his social and environmental conscience. It's weird. Can't the guy be a talented musician and socially cognisant? I don't see how that's annoying, personally. To each their own, I guess.

I think the problem people have high profile figures championing ethical issues is people don't like being told what to do by those who live much more comfortably than they do themselves. Which although is pig-headed I do understand the impulse.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Think you were the only guy there based on the pics I saw!

I was at RHCP and they were pish. The festival was already dead at that point due to the woeful location

Yeah, it was... bare. But I'd seen RHCP before and it was them or Diplo as the alternatives. I'd say I picked correctly. Good show despite the dead "crowd". At least when Nine Inch Nails had a wee crowd years before, they were bang up for it.

I've seen Coldplay 4 times in total which is mad considering although I like them I wouldn't class myself as a hardcore fan.

I can't say I've ever regretted it nor would I pass up the opportunity to see them again.

The musical snobbery towards them is somewhat bizarre. The longevity of the band speaks for itself.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I think the problem people have high profile figures championing ethical issues is people don't like being told what to do by those who live much more comfortably than they do themselves. Which although is pig-headed I do understand the impulse.

I can understand that too, but it does rather make the issue about them, rather than the issue. A little self-centred, maybe?

7 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

Yeah, it was... bare. But I'd seen RHCP before and it was them or Diplo as the alternatives. I'd say I picked correctly. Good show despite the dead "crowd". At least when Nine Inch Nails had a wee crowd years before, they were bang up for it.

I heard @Mouseboy11 was there wearing a Muse t-shirt 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the environmental effort sounds great hopefully more bands follow some of these practices. Even if they are not in a well off position I guess they could bump the ticket price up a quid or two to get a tree planted, how much is it for a tree anyway?

Edited by morph100

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

I heard @Mouseboy11 was there wearing a Muse t-shirt 

I was too drunk to notice anything like that 🤣

As a sidenote btw, I've found wee crowds at festivals tend to be the best, because everyone who's there is there to see that act. I've had a few like this now. The Temper Trap in 2012 is probably my favourite.

2 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

There's a world between 'musical snobbery' and thinking their latest output just isn't very good. I loooove simple pop, but that Higher Power song is really taking the piss. 

Really? I'd say the majority of their last album before this was definite up their own arse bullshit, but Higher Power was pretty much back to their most basic pop instincts. Although I'm not sure dragging such a song out for 10 minutes which they did on Coloratura.

33 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I think that's probably it, in a nutshell. Some people have a very high regard for their own taste, and seem especially triggered when artists they dislike are popular. In my experience, many Radiohead fans are especially guilty of this.

All true. All of us can be very high and mighty with our musical opinions, some attitudes veer towards elitism and arrogance. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Agree. Also I think there is a perception of hypocrisy. How can jet-setting Chris Martin or 5-house-owning Bono lecture us on environmental issues. I get it. To a great degree though, I think hypocrisy on the environment is impossible to avoid - we're all consumers of resources, all generators of waste, and this is used against anyone who dares to suggest ways we can improve things. It just winds me up that to many people, doing nothing is somehow better than doing something positive even if it looks a bit hypocritical.

58 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Reckon this is complete nonsense tbh, he’s just annoying - it’s not that deep.

He’s universally decried in my friendship group, and we’re as “woke” as they come.

This is like when someone on here called me a misogynist for saying Teenage superstar Billie Eilish’s main fan demographic were teenage girls.

Edited by MaxPower

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Reckon this is complete nonsense tbh, he’s just annoying - it’s not that deep.

Just saying what I see. People who have a particularly focussed dislike toward him never seem to miss an opportunity to mention how "self-righteous" they think he is. It definitely seems to be part and parcel of his criticism.