Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

The translation I saw was:

"I don't want to give a status to all the names that have been on the posters, it can be a long investigation. It will show up as we go along. But right with Kendrick Lamar, we can say he won't be available to us in 2022. And unfortunately the same goes for Taylor Swift as well."

Interesting what he said about Billie. I hadn't considered Glastonbury wanting, or being in a position to insist on, exclusive festival appearances

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Interesting what he said about Billie. I hadn't considered Glastonbury wanting, or being in a position to insist on, exclusive festival appearances

If she's not playing anywhere else, then it's extremely unlikely to be at the insistence of Glastonbury. It'll be a choice that she or more likely he management have made.

1 minute ago, incident said:

If she's not playing anywhere else, then it's extremely unlikely to be at the insistence of Glastonbury. It'll be a choice that she or more likely he management have made.

That doesn’t really make sense though. The Rosklide fella said that they couldn’t get her as she was doing Glastonbury as a festival exclusive. Why would she/her people insist on that? It’s something that bookers insist on, not performers

Just now, henry bear said:

That doesn’t really make sense though. The Rosklide fella said that they couldn’t get her as she was doing Glastonbury as a festival exclusive. Why would she/her people insist on that? It’s something that bookers insist on, not performers

I think you're overthinking the specific wording of something that originated in a different language.

He most likely means something along the lines of "we've been told that she's not doing any festivals other than Glastonbury" - which could be for a million different reasons.

In the past Glastonbury have made a point of not insisting on exclusivity clauses, even within the UK let alone the whole continent, and even if they wanted to add one they don't pay nearly enough to be able to insist on it - I don't think there's any realistic chance either of those have changed.

13 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Which is why I was surprised. However the wording is unambiguous:

"What about Billie Eilish, who just got announced at Glastonbury a week before Roskilde?
'It's an exclusive agreement. She's not going to play festivals other than Glastonbury.'"

I absolutely disagree about it being unambiguous. It's translated which itself potentially adds an element of fuzziness, and even taken 100% literally doesn't exclude the most likely option that she or her agents simply didn't want to book any other festivals.

He's definitely said exclusive. My Dutch may not be spot on but it's pretty clear:

Hvad med Billie Eilish, som lige er blevet annonceret til Glastonbury en uge før Roskilde?
»Det er en eksklusiv aftale. Hun kommer ikke til at spille festivaler udover Glastonbury«.

But I reckon he's just worded it wrong. Glastonbury are not paying extra to have her as an exclusive. There's no reason they'd do it, especially as she wasn't announced as such last week.

I wonder when the deal came about. Billie is clearly Not Taylor Swift for 2022 - a second choice headliner. I wonder whether it’s coincidental that Glastonbury happens to fall within her schedule or whether Taylor’s been out of the mix for so long, they were able to negotiate with Billie’s team before her world tour dates were confirmed. 

As ever, the hypotheticals are fascinating. 

Edited by kalifire

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Which is why I was surprised. However the wording is unambiguous:

"What about Billie Eilish, who just got announced at Glastonbury a week before Roskilde?
'It's an exclusive agreement. She's not going to play festivals other than Glastonbury.'"

If Glastonbury had changed tracks and gone out for an exclusive deal, then surely they'd have made that quite a big deal when they announced her

44 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

There's a big difference between 'only festival Billie is doing/managed to fit in within this touring schedule' - which is technically an exclusive - and 'Glastonbury wanting an exclusive' - which is not their style given they don't sell tickets based on lineup announcements. It's almost certainly the former.

In short Glastonbury have got an exclusive without actually trying for one.

33 minutes ago, sisco said:

image.thumb.png.29bdd680b3eabe9ceedbcca15c140321.png

Surely there is too much coincidence The Bootleg Beatles are playing this the same weekend Liam headlines Knebworth and the times from the Saturday gig would certainly suggest another act as well. From The Jam would be a good little stage opener too. The gigs are basically on the doorstep of Knebworth, 30 mins drive. I think we may now know why certain acts haven't been announced as to sell tickets for this.

Edited by thewayiam

This is an oldish article (Sept 21) and by no means a confirmation but it looks like Caroline Polachek was booked for Glasto 2020. She's back playing primavera this year so possibly rebooked?

"She had booked the biggest shows of her solo career for the summer of 2020: Glastonbury, in England; Primavera Sound, in Barcelona; Outside Lands, in San Francisco. "

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/09/20/after-a-year-without-crowds-caroline-polachek-takes-the-stage?mbid=social_twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social&utm_brand=tny

Just got back from seeing Kasabian in Glasgow tonight. They were 10x better than they had been on the last tour when Tom was there. They could quite easily headline any stage at the festival next year. One night headlining the JP could be something else.

43 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Just got back from seeing Kasabian in Glasgow tonight. They were 10x better than they had been on the last tour when Tom was there. They could quite easily headline any stage at the festival next year. One night headlining the JP could be something else.

So the backing vocals thing didnt matter at all?