Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

London? Roundhouse is OK for a largish venue, but I love the Lexington. Used to like the Scala but had a bad experience there a few weeks back. Union Chapel also great.

Outside London, Ramsgate Music Hall is decent, although the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge probably my favourite. And for comedy, the Stand in Edinburgh is the best venue in the world, bar none.

Alright Mardy. How you doing? Long time no speak. Had to delete the Twitter for my sanity. Anyway:

Genuine question: What makes a decent / great comedy venue (as opposed to a music venue with great sound / acoustics / viewing visibility, etc)?

24 minutes ago, jump said:

I agree with them, if the venue is hard to get to and that ruins the night then the night is ruined.

I'd also dock points off Milton Keynes Bowl and Stadium which have started to get these big only UK shows recently. Just by being in Milton Keynes it makes the gig worse!

Aye and getting back from. If you're ending up with the choice of leaving early or missing the last transport home the venue ain't good. Sorry. 

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

“When are they gonna get to the acts touring around Glastonbury 2022?”

New to the forum. My mate reckons Frankie Valli could do a Glasto set Friday or even Sunday afternoon given these dates:
image.png.f5f5684ccb95e790e8b39155471b0638.png

I am very hopeful Diana Ross is still the Legend given her O2 Arena dates on the Thurs, Friday and Saturday leaving Sunday free.

9 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Alright Mardy. How you doing? Long time no speak. Had to delete the Twitter for my sanity. Anyway:

Genuine question: What makes a decent / great comedy venue (as opposed to a music venue with great sound / acoustics / viewing visibility, etc)?

Woffy, come here and give us a kiss you magnificent bastard. How's tricks?

For comedy, i reckon you want a) to be downstairs, dunno why, but it feels important, something about going down the steps b) a low roof, I think the laughs need to be contained and not escape upwards/outwards c) a low stage, 9-12 inches max. d)Stage should be pretty small, one mic, couple of spots. no frills. e)the backstage area shouldn't be literally backstage, the comedian should have to walk through the crowd a bit to get onto the stage. and f) there needs to be no space at the front, no real gap between comedian/crowd. A ramshackle arrangement of chairs, not neccesarily in formal rows

0_1527760832221jpeg-2.thumb.jpg.73a62eb524b15bcaed9b07aa50d1203e.jpg

9 minutes ago, Moth said:

New to the forum. My mate reckons Frankie Valli could do a Glasto set Friday or even Sunday afternoon given these dates:

I am very hopeful Diana Ross is still the Legend given her O2 Arena dates on the Thurs, Friday and Saturday leaving Sunday free.

Diana Ross will surely play.

Frankie Valli... That Friday is possible I suppose.

But yeesh, I'm not really so sure who'd enjoy it. This is all a bit cruise ship entertainment. I'm pretty sure he doesn't sing either.

20 minutes ago, Moth said:

I was surprised to see he still does do three nights on the run so it is possible. Feels unlikely but I guess he could do an afternoon Pyramid slot or maybe headline The Acoustic. 

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Diana Ross will surely play.

Frankie Valli... That Friday is possible I suppose.

But yeesh, I'm not really so sure who'd enjoy it. This is all a bit cruise ship entertainment. I'm pretty sure he doesn't sing either.

There is no way on this earth that he is hitting those notes. 

Edited by Mardy
fat fingers

Favourite venues:-

Nottingham Rock City (hard to argue with those saying it’s the best. It’s just got *it* right, whatever it is).

Glasgow Barrowlands

Glasgow King Tuts

Glasgow Academy is a good space though the drinks choices are a bit shit.

Manchester Apollo

39 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Woffy, come here and give us a kiss you magnificent bastard. How's tricks?

For comedy, i reckon you want a) to be downstairs, dunno why, but it feels important, something about going down the steps b) a low roof, I think the laughs need to be contained and not escape upwards/outwards c) a low stage, 9-12 inches max. d)Stage should be pretty small, one mic, couple of spots. no frills. e)the backstage area shouldn't be literally backstage, the comedian should have to walk through the crowd a bit to get onto the stage. and f) there needs to be no space at the front, no real gap between comedian/crowd. A ramshackle arrangement of chairs, not neccesarily in formal rows

0_1527760832221jpeg-2.thumb.jpg.73a62eb524b15bcaed9b07aa50d1203e.jpg

Mwah! All good buddy! Literally just found out I can drink alcohol while taking the antibiotics I’ve been prescribed. Result. 

Wow. Impressive. You REALLY know how to comedy. 

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would really like to investigate it further, but I would also like to never hear it again.

I strapped in and delved into the YouTube comments. 

Apparently he’s been lip-syncing to the same recording since 2013. 

The consensus between his Italian American fans seems to be that they know this but really DGAF. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

For the southerners, specifically Hampshire:

The Joiners, and

Wedgewood Rooms

both deserve an honourable mention.

Think the Joiners won a best small venue award a few years back.

Haven't been to Joiners for a while, but it was always ridiculously hot in there.

The Wedge is good for me because it's only a few mins walk from my house, but it's not great. It's just nice when bands play Portsmouth or Southampton and I don't have to go to London or Brighton on a school night 😂 

On the off topic topic of best outdoor venue I can’t stand Hyde Park. The 10 different types of VIP tixs ruins the fun and British Summer Time only took it over as they agreed to not play the music as loud as Wireless back when they would get acts like The White Stripes. I also dislike Donnington despite its legendary status, it’s rubbish for camping and sometimes the conditions at Download have been truly horrible.

I saw Beans On Toast play on the corner of the street once and it was probably the best time I ever saw him so I nominate that street corner as best outdoor venue!

Edited by jump

54 minutes ago, jump said:

On the off topic topic of best outdoor venue I can’t stand Hyde Park. The 10 different types of VIP tixs ruins the fun and British Summer Time only took it over as they agreed to not play the music as loud as Wireless back when they would get acts like The White Stripes. I also dislike Donnington despite its legendary status, it’s rubbish for camping and sometimes the conditions at Download have been truly horrible.

I saw Beans On Toast play on the corner of the street once and it was probably the best time I ever saw him so I nominate that street corner as best outdoor venue!

Hyde Park is indeed shite.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

The consensus between his Italian American fans seems to be that they know this but really DGAF. 

Oof it's pretty sad to see but still I'm glad to know his fanbase are enjoying the living Valliwood theme park. 

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

I expect there’s a lot more of it goes on than we might imagine. Despite her denials, many think Dolly lip-synchs, including her Glasto show.