Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Its Manchester's Albert Hall 

Been my favorite for a while and my sister got married there in the summer so it feels even better now. Impressive considering it's issues (the toilet at my flat are probably closer to the stage than theirs)

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Barrowlands, Glasgow

Printworks, London

Paradiso, Amsterdam

La Cigale, Paris

Roundhouse, Manchester

Thekla, Bristol

Really want to get to Gashouder, Amsterdam and Red Rocks, Colorado at some point. 

Dyou mean the roadhouse or a different city?

32 minutes ago, gfa said:

Quite a big fan of Alexandra Palace, anything bigger than that in London is dogshit. Small venues wise I am a fan of Village Underground and also Oval Space is really cool when they get the mini venues etc open and close off the road. Brixton very solid too, great slope to it

Personally like Wembley Arena more than Ally Pally, it's also much easier to get to.

As for venues. Brixton Academy wise but it's right out the way.

Rock City I think is the best one, Shepherd's Bush is decent as is The Garage. The Roundhouse is good if you are early enough to get inside the pylons, outside and it's shite.

Manchester Academy I quite like but would like to do the Albert Hall.

There is a great little venue in Bedford called Esquires. I always look out for anything decent there.

Nottingham’s Rock City. 

Nottingham’s Bodega. 

Nottingham Arena. 

Basically, Nottingham has got it going on. 

Brixton is fantastic and, I knows it’s an unpopular one, I really love Ally Pally. 

I despise Wembley Arena. Big, soulless, hangar of a venue. Awful. 

32 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Stromae has been announced for 2 festivals it seems. This one is the closest to Glasto... does anyone think he could be at Glasto? Would be huge, but not sure what kind of placement he could even get.

It was mentioned earlier and he’s just not that big in the UK. I recall last time he headlined Werchter, he did play Glastonbury and played middle of the bill on the Sonic Stage. Maybe he’d do that again but I probably wouldn’t if I was him!

Haven't been to enough gigs outside of Manchester to make a definite top three in the country but my top three for Manchester is:

1. Ritz

2. Apollo

3. Albert Hall

The Sugarmill in Stoke also gets credit, but so do a lot of small venues anywhere really. But the Leeds Brudenell absolutely takes the cake. Only been there twice (only once in the actual main room) but I can affirmitavely say that it's the best venue I've been to, by quite a firm margin. It's a small independent venue done really really well. You can get a great view anywhere in the venue, and there's a really cosy atmosphere in there which is really special. There's a padded seated section at the back, so you could sit down and chill between the support and the main act. The toilets were pretty good and the sound in the venue is excellent, no real dead spots from what I've experienced. I don't drink, but with the amount of people drinking inside and outside (it operates as a pub as well) on a September evening with no sports event on I assume it's pretty reasonably priced. They seem to care about their customers having a good time, and aren't just in it for the money. It's awesome and shows how it's done, we need more venues like it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Stromae has been announced for 2 festivals it seems. This one is the closest to Glasto... does anyone think he could be at Glasto? Would be huge, but not sure what kind of placement he could even get.

He’s already played hasn’t he and it was a teatime JP slot?

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I really love Ally Pally

It's a really mixed bag for me. The sound could be better otherwise it's my preferred 10k+ London venue. I remember the first time I went there they had this stupid system of you had to buy tokens which you then used to buy drinks so you got two lots of queues and spare tokens at the end of the night. I'm so glad they got rid of that shit. 

I'm pretty sure all I'm cursed going to Ally Pally as I've never had support bands being really good or nothing bad happened to me or my group whilst the support bands are one. Sometimes the bands are just meh like At The Drive or fucking atrocious like Slowthai throwing up three times and throwing his shoes at people in the crowd and then there is the other times like when a child told security fibs about how I stole their phone to cover him losing it so security rushed me as I was taking a piss, my mate got thrown out for doing coke, another had a seizure in the pit etc. One day I'm hoping for just a really fun support act with no incidents happening!

18 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

that's such a rubbish reason to dock points

I agree with them, if the venue is hard to get to and that ruins the night then the night is ruined.

I'd also dock points off Milton Keynes Bowl and Stadium which have started to get these big only UK shows recently. Just by being in Milton Keynes it makes the gig worse!

Edited by jump

London? Roundhouse is OK for a largish venue, but I love the Lexington. Used to like the Scala but had a bad experience there a few weeks back. Union Chapel also great.

Outside London, Ramsgate Music Hall is decent, although the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge probably my favourite. And for comedy, the Stand in Edinburgh is the best venue in the world, bar none.

Alexandra Palace has been my least favourite venue for a few years but I recently moved to within walking distance so I'll be forcing myself to like it. Black Midi, Metronomy and Khruangbin booked so far. Hopefully the theatre is good and I can find the secrets to enjoying the big room.

Of my favourites only Roundhouse could stand a chance of topping list.