Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 minute ago, Slugy said:

What big festivals are left really? Glasto, Reading, BST?

Parklife always get left off the list. I know it’s different as there is no camping but it’s the only festival which gets artists I think Glastonbury would struggle to get. It seems to be the main destination for US hip hop at the moment too with acts like Megan on the bill.

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes I do think what happened with Foals is that there was a “well let’s wait until their next album” approach, and when their follow up to What Went Down didn’t exactly go down they got put to a side.

The 1975 won’t make it either as R&L got them in their sweet spot and they’ve not maintained that level since.

I still think 1975 could do it, they just seemed to lose momentum with the double album thing they did. Still huge tho and could get bigger I think. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Parklife always get left off the list. I know it’s different as there is no camping but it’s the only festival which gets artists I think Glastonbury would struggle to get. It seems to be the main destination for US hip hop at the moment too with acts like Megan on the bill.

Aye, I missed Download as well but a lot of the bigger ones are either smaller now or disappeared all together. Some of these bigger acts will have no choice soon but to do big solo shows or smaller festivals.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

We were saying this since 2015 and after that we’ve had nothing but gigantic acts that Glastonbury have been pulling in. If you think Glastonbury is running out of headliners you’re probably not looking in the right direction. There’s plenty coming through and the festival isn’t starved for options at all.

Well Covid just helped keep the stable full for a while longer but its going to happen. But the other thing is giving artists that fit the criteria of headlining a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Download must be crying. They should have waited before locking in their 2022 lineup.

They have Monster Magnet so they win it for me but to be honest it's not hugely better than Download's, alot of the acts are the same considering they have an extra day and I'm spying abit too much of my Grandad's metal on the line up and I moan enough that Download isn't contemporary. Hellfest stills wins!

Just now, jump said:

They have Monster Magnet so they win it for me but to be honest it's not hugely better than Download's, alot of the acts are the same considering they have an extra day and I'm spying abit too much of my Grandad's metal on the line up and I moan enough that Download isn't contemporary. Hellfest stills wins!

True. Hellfest is next level.

However, Grandad's metal? Piss off! 😄

33 minutes ago, jump said:

I am not even really thinking about whether the lineup is forward looking or not - mainly that Download clearly panicked when 2021 couldn’t go ahead and tried to lock in a lineup as soon possible. At the time they probably couldn’t tell what was happening, but if they waited a bit longer they could have had some pretty solid options for the festival… bands that haven’t played for a while too.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I am not even really thinking about whether the lineup is forward looking or not - mainly that Download clearly panicked when 2021 couldn’t go ahead and tried to lock in a lineup as soon possible. At the time they probably couldn’t tell what was happening, but if they waited a bit longer they could have had some pretty solid options for the festival… bands that haven’t played for a while too.

Yeah Download is a boring but let's not dress up something like Aerosmith headlining again as a major fuck up to diss them when they already failed to get Rage and My Chemical Romance on a reunion, not getting a white hot IDLES on the line up who were playing loads of fests, missing out on 'tallica yet again or not having NIN as an European exclusive that they should be mocked for.

Edited by jump

9 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah Download is a boring but let's not dress up something like Aerosmith headlining again as a major fuck up to diss them when they already failed to get Rage and My Chemical Romance on a reunion, not getting a white hot IDLES on the line up who were playing loads of fests, missing out on 'tallica yet again or not having NIN as an European exclusive that they should be mocked for.

I can forgive them missing out on MCR and Rage as both have other plans and Download would have to get them after their initial commitments we’re fulfilled. I think it’s just to see that there are stronger options around than Biffy and Kiss again. Whilst I don’t doubt those headliners will do the job it does look like DL were out of the loop with the other mainland Europe festivals at that time.