Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Swap Dua and Lorde around and you might be on to something.

Think it’s much more likely Lorde gets the sub spot.  Dua can wait for her next album to headline the pyramid 

Edited by sisco

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Interesting shout. Much like Mumfords, Kings aren't headlining Glasto again. They're also probably too proud to take a sub slot, and you'd imagine Other is out the question for another 3-5 years yet.

Obviously the most likely outcome is that they just don't play.

All the same: KoL on the Pyramid, to come around sundown? Could see it.

It would be foolish to rule them out of headlining the Pyramid ever again.

The fact they're still doing it now means that the Kings of Leon are going to continue to headline festivals in the UK and around Europe for a long time. And Glastonbury will continue to be a festival for a long time. I struggle to believe the worlds won't meet again as they move into heritage headliner status.

Plenty of eyebrows were raised when KOL were announced for Reading in 2018, said eyebrows would be up in the clouds if they were ever announced as a Glastonbury headliner again. Do people even care about them anymore?

"Yes but The Killers..." I hear you say, but the key difference is that even when most on here were scoffing they were still headlining festivals and selling out stadia worldwide, they were still big enough and had enough cultural relevance in the bank to be able to pull off being booked again. Just don't see that with KOL, they're an APE sized band these days, a sub at best. Even thinking they'll be a heritage act one day seems optimistic.

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Fair re: your last point there, never say never and all that. Though I reckon they'd need to split or have a hugely unlikely late-stage hit a la Bon Jovi's It's My Life for there to be sufficient demand + momentum.

I still can't see it in the immediate future though. The fest would really be struggling for options if KoL, hitless since 2008 and stained in pigeon shit, got a call up to top El Pointo in 2024/5.

It’s tough to figure out ‘demand’ at a sold out festival though. They don’t need to sell tickets - they need to appease those who already have them.

Kings of Leon are pretty safe, if unfashionable, and the general Glastonbury crowd is pretty au fait with them. Whether it be belting out Sex on Fire or holding a candle for the first few albums.

Sad as it is, no new rock band is likely to be a more appealing option to the festival than a household name like theirs still doing arenas and unceremonious headline slots.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Plenty of eyebrows were raised when KOL were announced for Reading in 2018, said eyebrows would be up in the clouds if they were ever announced as a Glastonbury headliner again. Do people even care about them anymore?

"Yes but The Killers..." I hear you say, but the key difference is that even when most on here were scoffing they were still headlining festivals and selling out stadia worldwide, they were still big enough and had enough cultural relevance in the bank to be able to pull off being booked again. Just don't see that with KOL, they're an APE sized band these days, a sub at best. Even thinking they'll be a heritage act one day seems optimistic.

They are a heritage act already, which is why they are headlining stadiums and other festivals without a major hit in 13 years. Although barely any rock band has had a major hit in that timeframe.

Sub at best? They’re not doing that anywhere. I know you’ve prefaced this by saying The Killers are different but exactly the same thing was said about them before headlining - and now that they’ve headlined again, the consensus has been revised.

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Killers got booked after tearing the arse roof off John Peel though. The band said it was the loudest set they'd ever done and the Eavises, iirc, mentally locked it in on the spot.

I dont think that's the case. They were a late addition after another unnamed headliner (likely Macca) pulled out.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They are a heritage act already, which is why they are headlining stadiums and other festivals without a major hit in 13 years. Although barely any rock band has had a major hit in that timeframe.

Sub at best? They’re not doing that anywhere. I know you’ve prefaced this by saying The Killers are different but exactly the same thing was said about them before headlining - and now that they’ve headlined again, the consensus has been revised.

I'm a big fan, but they are no where near the pull they were 10 years ago. They had an outdoor show in Liverpool in 2019, only UK show of the year, bought tickets off Groupon the week beforehand... 

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Killers got booked after tearing the arse roof off John Peel though. The band said it was the loudest set they'd ever done and the Eavises, iirc, mentally locked it in on the spot.

Leaving aside the enduring popularity of early Killers tunes in ways that vastly outstrip KoL's peak, Brandon's resilience as a media presence, yadda yadda — would KoL get the same reaction from a secret set? I don't think they would.

The Killers were a January replacement for McCartney for 2019. This is the most likely scenario that KOL would be booked, as it was The Killers.

Every argument against KOL appears kinda subjective based on their songs being not as good or being less personable or whatever. The main thing is that they’re still a chart-topping band playing arenas, parks, stadiums and festivals around the world in headline slots.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dont think that's the case. They were a late addition after another unnamed headliner (likely Macca) pulled out.

Perhaps so, but that set probably convinced the Eavii that they were still a viable proposition.

I can't envisage a scenario where the festival picks up the phone to KOL to headline. I'd wager there are at least 30 acts they would approach first. 

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

KoL have about one tenth of the hits that The Killers have too. 

If they did a JP set it'd be bouncing for three songs rather than the whole set.

Indeed, Killers have Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me, Human, The Man, Jenny, All These Things, Spaceman, When You Were Young - all tunes festival crowds love and go wild man.

KOL have Sex on Fire and erm... that one that was on X Factor loads.

Even the "yeah but the first three albums" argument doesn't hold too much water, they were sleeper hits to a large degree. What following they have now came from them abandoning the sound of the first three records in favour of their stadium (they've never headlined one in this country) dirge. I've been to KOL gigs post Sex on Fire and anything from albums 1-3 just gets blank stares and silence.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

This is surely the most passion Kings of Leon have generated in a while. Playing right into their hands.

It’s not just Kings of Leon specifically, it’s many acts who people say wouldn’t headline anymore despite their big slots at other festivals.

The twin forces of there being fewer dinosaur headline acts on the road every year and fewer gambles being taken on new bands in headline positions means that, when they need a rock band, those in between have a lot of runway. It’s sad I guess but it’s already in effect.

Mumford and Sons have more chance of headlining again than Wolf Alice ever do.

I agree that the same arguments were made for The Killers before their sets in 2017 and 2019 but I think them being a much better live act than Kings of Leon is a factor too. I think The Killers have been a consistently good live band for a while now whereas you hardly ever hear anyone raving about a Kings of Leon gig, admittedly it was about 10 years ago but they were very much going through the motions both times I’ve seen them. They’re still too big to sub and I certainly don’t think we’ll see them headlining anytime soon but wouldn’t rule it out as a heritage booking at some point. 

I watched their 2008 headline set when it was on iPlayer last month and I was surprised at how good it was, Glastonbury got them at exactly the right time didn’t they? They seemed like a pretty polished and accomplished live band at that time playing songs from the first three albums plus a couple from the fourth. Obviously they became a much bigger act shortly after headlining but in terms of quality of songs and performance I think the festival got that one spot on.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought Boring George would be playing Wembley Stadium next album. Maybe that’ll be the back end of the tour.

Aye, his albums only seem to get bigger after release so if he has a new one next year it probably makes sense to start small-ish then work up to the bigger shows once his latest round of earnest dirge has sunk in to the masses.

Makes him a serious contender for G23.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Aye, his albums only seem to get bigger after release so if he has a new one next year it probably makes sense to start small-ish then work up to the bigger shows once his latest round of earnest dirge has sunk in to the masses.

Makes him a serious contender for G23.

Nah he’s massive now. Barring another weird ‘Don’t Matter Now’ catastrophe he’ll be inescapable from the moment he returns. 

18 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Swap Dua and Lorde around and you might be on to something.

All subjective view isn't it. I could just about see it given Dua's tour hasn't sold that well but then I didn't rate her second album bar 2/3 songs as high as the first. I actually thought her song with Miley Cyrus actually brought her back in the limelight a little.

Dua Lipa has got a lot of tickets left though and with it all being said for her to miss it and headline in 2023. Her sales for this tour aren't indicative of a headliner in 2023.

1 hour ago, sisco said:

image.png.79ffaf096f7d2a41303ff84be2d69ec1.png

If he smashes sales on that then I wouldn't look past a Glastonbury 2023 headline set as he basically sets himself up for it, it's not happening next year though.

Also @sisco all this talk of Dua Lipa missing it and coming back for 2023 to headline?, I'm not sure at this stage she will be headlining it. Reads are said above, ticket sales tell a story. I could understand the start of it but now not so much. She might actually now need that Glastonbury slot, whether that be a sub or Other headliner to kind of be heard again.