Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

Not that's a shame as such because Ross will be incredible, but the legend slot really does feel like the perfect position for Reg. Seeing him in the afternoon, full sunshine with the party atmosphere, fancy dress etc. seems more appropriate. Obviously not arguing his stature as a headliner, just think that would be a cracking slot for him. 

• Upvote 1

Also there’s an unusually long gap between Bristol (22nd) and Swansea (29th). Shove a gig in over the weekend and it’s much more consistent. 

This is going to be one of those rumours Emily will need to dispel early if it’s not happening, I think. 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Has it been suggested that Elton might be an alternative to Macca?

Kendrick // Elton // Taylor?

That would make the sense stylistically, but Macca seems like he's doing Belgium right around Glastonbury, so he's pretty much nailed on (assuming his last tour was in place to basically facilitate playing Glastonbury).

Just now, kalifire said:

Also there’s an unusually long gap between Bristol (22nd) and Swansea (29th). Shove a gig in over the weekend and it’s much more consistent. 

This is going to be one of those rumours Emily will need to dispel early if it’s not happening, I think. 

I think we can all agree that something is pencilled and yet to be announced in for that weekend - the question is whether it's Glastonbury or something else - Slane? Hyde Park? TW Classic? Another Stadium show somewhere?

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Has it been suggested that Elton might be an alternative to Macca?

Kendrick // Elton // Taylor?

Yeah seems like the obvious switcheroo if he’s playing. Would be a real shame to lose Macca (a real fucking shame) but if it’s something that’s happening, can’t argue with Elton filling in. Certainly one of the best replacements they could get.

I’m still going with the original trio though, as suspicious as those dates do look. Think he’ll dodge the festival, like he does every year. 

I think the timing of the announcement maybe couldve made it easier on the Eavii if it was done on Friday. Then that whole E in front of the Pyramid mightve totally been set up and we all collectively freak out. But yeah, theyre going to have to do something about this one cause itll be difficult to hold onto that til Sept if theyre waiting to give any names til Equinox.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah seems like the obvious switcheroo if he’s playing. Would be a real shame to lose Macca (a real fucking shame) but if it’s something that’s happening, can’t argue with Elton filling in. Certainly one of the best replacements they could get.

I’m still going with the original trio though, as suspicious as those dates do look. Think he’ll dodge the festival, like he does every year. 

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. Wouldn't be surprised if Elton turned up and collaborated on a song or two with someone though, if he's in the area. 

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Swift wants to play she'll play - I wouldn't see them dropping her for anyone.

Yeah, not trying to imply that she'll be dropped but it would make more sense if she is already considering doing a greatest hits collection to push something like Glastonbury back a year. As you say, if Swift says she wants to delay her slot a year Emily isnt going to tell her no. Swift is a very thrifty woman, I'm sure she wouldnt want to arguably "waste" her big Glastonbury slot when she could wait a year and promote either a greatest hits collection or a new album....

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Yeah, not trying to imply that she'll be dropped but it would make more sense if she is already considering doing a greatest hits collection to push something like Glastonbury back a year. As you say, if Swift says she wants to delay her slot a year Emily isnt going to tell her no. Swift is a very thrifty woman, I'm sure she wouldnt want to arguably "waste" her big Glastonbury slot when she could wait a year and promote either a greatest hits collection or a new album....

I would be quite surprised if Taylor takes another year (this time voluntary) off touring though. Thoroughly expect to do some shows next year, even more so after the tweet the other day about the RED tour. Spending a solid 4 years writing and recording albums seems really unlikely for someone who loves performing so much.

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dont think after all this a new new album is coming anytime soon. And not having done any touring for 3 albums of material is going to have plenty of demand on its own. I think you can argue that there could be a way to tour in “smaller” venues and have them be of diff eras. Each night is one of thee re recorded ones plus the hits to close things. I mean you easily could do one night Folklore and one night of Evermore.

22 minutes ago, incident said:

I think we can all agree that something is pencilled and yet to be announced in for that weekend - the question is whether it's Glastonbury or something else - Slane? Hyde Park? TW Classic? Another Stadium show somewhere?

Hyde Park wont be that weekend as they've already got a set of gigs for the weekend of the 9th - so the others will either be the week before or after. 

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

Hyde Park wont be that weekend as they've already got a set of gigs for the weekend of the 9th - so the others will either be the week before or after. 

Agree that's likely to be the case - and I think there's a reasonable chance he does play a "last ever UK show" there the weekend after Glastonbury (can't really see the final one being Swansea) - but from what I remember of their licence, they've got a certain number of music days per year which they can structure how they want - so there's nothing to stop them spreading the same number of shows over 3 weekends instead of 2 if that's what's needed.

Now THIS is what we've been waiting for isn't it, some good old fashioned headliner speculation ❤️ 

As mentioned in a few other threads, his Bestival headline slot was enormously fun, so he'd be a fantastic headliner. Very few acts have anywhere near his back catalogue. 

52 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Has Emily done something like this before?

I joined this forum not long before Covid struck so I'm not that used to what happens in an actual festival build up.

Just now, northernringo said:

Has Emily done something like this before?

I joined this forum not long before Covid struck so I'm not that used to what happens in an actual festival build up.

Occasionally, yes, but only really if a rumour starts to get serious traction.

• Upvote 1

I'll be absolutely delighted if Elton is playing, that's got me really excited actually.

Is it a coincidence that Elton's team have dropped these dates on the first day Glasto would be, or are we getting some sort of announcement this weekend? Most likely a coincidence, but would be some hugely welcomed (and unexpectedly early) news to raise spirits and confidence for the return of festivals.

Edited by Col!n
typo