Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

Realistically there’s no room for Reg anywhere on the bill. He’s a headliner or a massive, massive legend and those slots look sewn up.

Even as a replacement there’s no natural fit. Not guitar-ry enough to replace Macca and it might look odd having two old white blokes headlining after so long away.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I could be wrong but it feels like they've been about a few times and not turned up.

That’s my recollection too. Not sure if they’ve ever been doing much in the way of festivals before though I could be wrong. So I’m hopeful for next year. Their politics certainly align with the festival.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Even as a replacement there’s no natural fit. Not guitar-ry enough to replace Macca and it might look odd having two old white blokes headlining after so long away.

This isn't the way I see it personally - I'd think he's right in the frame as a potential Macca replacement (but, as you say, not the other two).

He's one of the only acts whose back catalogue comes anywhere even close to McCartney for number of big tunes, influence, how many singalong tracks etc., and I'm pretty sure the "muh classic rock" brigade for whom guitars are a shorthand would rather have Elton and his big piano than some nominally way more guitar centric acts (Ed Sheeran, looking in your direction).

It's probably not going to happen anyway - Elton and Glastonbury never seem to cross paths for whatever reason - but I'd definitely put him in the frame.

Is it just me or has Elton only really seemed like a potential headliner for the last 6 years or so? Him being an old man is basically all that ties him to maccas spot.

Also the guy has never shown any interest in doing it and as far as we know never been approached. The goal posts for headliners has moved over the last decade to include him and his film has upped his status/convinced a load of neysayers he is a bit of a legend, it's still not massively surprising to me he's not done it yet and probably never will though.

(I'm sure he'd kill it if he did though)

11 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Is it just me or has Elton only really seemed like a potential headliner for the last 6 years or so? Him being an old man is basically all that ties him to maccas spot.

Also the guy has never shown any interest in doing it and as far as we know never been approached. The goal posts for headliners has moved over the last decade to include him and his film has upped his status/convinced a load of neysayers he is a bit of a legend, it's still not massively surprising to me he's not done it yet and probably never will though.

(I'm sure he'd kill it if he did though)

I think it’s because the number heritage/legends is dwindling and axe from a “ past era“ are considered prime for festival headline slots. I think there wasn’t necessarily the same market for acts like Elton at festivals that there is now. I think modern day festival goers anticipate names on the lineups that are instantly recognisable and known across multiple generations. Over time, Elton has grown into that mould. Plus the legend slot has given way to cheesy heritage acts being prime weekend slots (which I don’t have a problem with).

Edited by Matt42

14 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Think you could make a case for ~8 years - ie since he nailed it at Bestival. He didn't always get the respect he deserved in festival land before that and probably not many festivals would even have had him in their thinking. An absolute masterstroke booking by RDB and that performance moved Elton cleanly into Major Festival Headliner consideration.

Honestly though, I think he'd have been a viable option for Glastonbury even before that - they've never really been afraid to book headliners that other festivals would scoff at - if they were prepared to book Kylie to headline in 2005 then I reckon they'd have been prepared to book Elton around the same time had he been willing and affordable.

9 hours ago, incident said:

Think you could make a case for ~8 years - ie since he nailed it at Bestival. He didn't always get the respect he deserved in festival land before that and probably not many festivals would even have had him in their thinking. An absolute masterstroke booking by RDB and that performance moved Elton cleanly into Major Festival Headliner consideration.

Honestly though, I think he'd have been a viable option for Glastonbury even before that - they've never really been afraid to book headliners that other festivals would scoff at - if they were prepared to book Kylie to headline in 2005 then I reckon they'd have been prepared to book Elton around the same time had he been willing and affordable.

I’d definitely say the last decade has seen a resurgence in terms of Elton’s mainstream appeal, which is odd that he needed it considering the tunes he has and how great he is. For me it started about ten-ish years ago when Are You Ready For Love was absolutely everywhere.

In terms of Glastonbury I’d be utterly gobsmacked if he’s never at least been sounded out about the possibility. I can’t accept that nobody has ever thought “what about Reg?” when looking for headliners. My theory, and it’s only a theory, is that at some point there may well have been an initial conversation with his people, but for whatever reason - fee, demands, broadcast, etc it’s never gone any further.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d definitely say the last decade has seen a resurgence in terms of Elton’s mainstream appeal, which is odd that he needed it considering the tunes he has and how great he is. For me it started about ten-ish years ago when Are You Ready For Love was absolutely everywhere.

In terms of Glastonbury I’d be utterly gobsmacked if he’s never at least been sounded out about the possibility. I can’t accept that nobody has ever thought “what about Reg?” when looking for headliners. My theory, and it’s only a theory, is that at some point there may well have been an initial conversation with his people, but for whatever reason - fee, demands, broadcast, etc it’s never gone any further.

Probably worth saying too that in recent years he’s been recognised as more of a LGBT+ icon and representing values that were very much ahead of the time.

Edited by Matt42

11 hours ago, incident said:

Still one of my absolute favourite headline slots. Our group were all very pissed and just in the best mood, so it could have actually been dire and we wouldn't have known, but still - hit after hit. 

33 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Still one of my absolute favourite headline slots. Our group were all very pissed and just in the best mood, so it could have actually been dire and we wouldn't have known, but still - hit after hit. 

I was there too. On my own. Not wasted (although I'd had a few shandies...).

It was spectacular. If he had played the exact same set, with the same energy, enthusiasm and musicianship, headlining the Pyramid, people would still be talking about it like they talk about Bowie in 2000.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Hate to break it to you Hugh, but it's more like 20 years ago. Re-release was 2003 😭