Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

38 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

If that leak is true I'm surprised NIN aren't on the Prima lineup themselves.

It was strange not seeing them on the poster since it had come out they were signed on for all 3 Primavera fests and now seems scrapped. And there is no reason to hide their name either. 

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Wonder where she goes nowadays.

4th top on Other? JP headliner?

I'm thinking subbing John Peel à la Father John Misty. Potentially headlining Park or early afternoon Other too.

High Other and John Peel headline slots don't seem forthcoming. There was a time when it looked like she could hit that level but with the new album being something of a non-event, I think her pursuit of mainstream success is a bust.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

That was my thinking too, but I'm surprised to learn Daddy's Home has outperformed all her other albums in the UK. In at #4 (would have expected more like #14)

Have you seen the album charts in 2021 though? It's so heavily geared towards physical sales that Dry Cleaning, Squid and BCNR all debuted at #4 as well. The Coral, Maximo Park and the Offspring charted even higher. Mogwai at number one!

I don't know exactly what has changed, and I'm not complaining, but I think there's a bit of inflation compared to the past few years.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Have you seen the album charts in 2021 though? It's so heavily geared towards physical sales that Dry Cleaning, Squid and BCNR all debuted at #4 as well. The Coral, Maximo Park and the Offspring charted even higher. Mogwai at number one!

I don't know exactly what has changed, and I'm not complaining, but I think there's a bit of inflation compared to the past few years.

Because if album streams counted more than purchases we’d have artists like Ed Sheeran, The Weeknd, Dua Lipa etc #1 for a whole year as they are heavy streaming artists.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because if album streams counted more than purchases we’d have artists like Ed Sheeran, The Weeknd, Dua Lipa etc #1 for a whole year as they are heavy streaming artists.

Obviously I understand that. It's not a new thing.

What I'm not sure on is why two years ago pop acts dominated the album charts all year round and now it's more of a playground for independent artists.

My assumption would be that the album is dying and playlists are king amongst the younger, high-volume music listeners. And that's why the singles chart is still full of pop releases and no Mogwai to be seen. Could be something else though - maybe the pandemic means that there are just fewer pop albums coming out because they're a more high-intensity recording thing with different writers, producers, collaborators etc.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Obviously I understand that. It's not a new thing.

What I'm not sure on is why two years ago pop acts dominated the album charts all year round and now it's more of a playground for independent artists.

My assumption would be that the album is dying and playlists are king amongst the younger, high-volume music listeners. And that's why the singles chart is still full of pop releases and no Mogwai to be seen. Could be something else though - maybe the pandemic means that there are just fewer pop albums coming out because they're a more high-intensity recording thing with different writers, producers, collaborators etc.

No I think it’s how they count and weigh the sales to the streams. Sales probably weigh more than streams, so new albums fresh off the shelf (where they get the most sales) will score more points.

Looking at the current album charts right now there are probably more people in the country streaming future nostalgia and Sour right now than Wolf Alice, however Wolf Alice probably have the most sales. However, I bet you in the next few weeks WA will drop down that chart pretty fast as they don’t have that comfort blanket of being a top streaming artist, whereas Dua will probably stay in the top 10 for a few months yet.

I reckon there wasn’t much different between WA and Olivia this week though, as she’s still selling a ton.

A62B33A8-DE1E-4030-958E-2FD1B758FB04.jpeg

Edited by Matt42

A lot of it is pandemic related. Bigger pop and rock acts have basically held off releasing anything substantial over the past year or so, and plenty of indie acts have slid in and hit a demographic that have had extra disposable income, are WFH, plenty of time to get excited about records, probably buying more physical albums, want to support artists they like, etc. The 6music/indie dad demographic is a pretty reliable one normally but has been amped up over the past year because of being stuck at home.

The sales for all these albums are extremely front-loaded because of physicals and so drop like a stone in the second and third weeks.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No I think it’s how they count and weigh the sales to the streams. Sales probably weigh more than streams, so new albums fresh off the shelf (where they get the most sales) will score more points.

Looking at the current album charts right now there are probably more people in the country streaming future nostalgia and Sour right now than Wolf Alice, however Wolf Alice probably have the most sales. However, I bet you in the next few weeks WA will drop down that chart pretty fast as they don’t have that comfort blanket of being a top streaming artist, whereas Dua will probably stay in the top 10 for a few months yet.

I reckon there wasn’t much different between WA and Olivia this week though, as she’s still selling a ton.

A62B33A8-DE1E-4030-958E-2FD1B758FB04.jpeg

As I said, I know about this, you don't need to explain it to me. That change was done six years ago. I'm talking about since then.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

A lot of it is pandemic related. Bigger pop and rock acts have basically held off releasing anything substantial over the past year or so, and plenty of indie acts have slid in and hit a demographic that have had extra disposable income, are WFH, plenty of time to get excited about records, probably buying more physical albums, want to support artists they like, etc. The 6music/indie dad demographic is a pretty reliable one normally but has been amped up over the past year because of being stuck at home.

The sales for all these albums are extremely front-loaded because of physicals and so drop like a stone in the second and third weeks.

That's a really good point. Also I can imagine the reason bigger pop/rock acts have held off releasing is that they make their money on big-ticket live shows rather than on album sales/streams. Releasing albums some time before potential live shows is probably being actively avoided.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As I said, I know about this, you don't need to explain it to me. That change was done six years ago. I'm talking about since then.

That's a really good point. Also I can imagine the reason bigger pop/rock acts have held off releasing is that they make their money on big-ticket live shows rather than on album sales/streams. Releasing albums some time before potential live shows is probably being actively avoided.

But Ariana, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Foo Fighters, The Weeknd etc have all released during the pandemic? I’d say they are some of the biggest artists have been releasing throughout.

There has been less releases but we’ve still been getting albums from the majors.

Edited by Matt42

Some funkiness going on with that Mad Cool reveal. The Killers (presumably) vanished and possibly jumped the gun on announcing Metallica. Thursday now has three headliners listed tba as stars, so who the hell knows. Opens it up a fair bit. Taylor could still be in that picture - the fact they’ve blocked out those names makes me think they possibly contain the letters T and A but they can’t disclose them yet. Certainly looks the case with The Killers.

@jparx if I’m reading it right Mad Cool have done it again where they piss one of their headliners off. 2020 I believe they told HAIM that they would be supporting the Strokes before the Strokes had signed the dotted line. They also made posters with the Strokes on there before they agreed. Strokes got pissed and pulled out.

From what I’m reading from Ken they’ve essentially given the game away that Metallica are touring in 2022, when the band themselves are trying to keep it contained at the moment?

18 hours ago, jannybruck said:

That sobering moment when you realise you are now an “indie dad”.

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

@jparx if I’m reading it right Mad Cool have done it again where they piss one of their headliners off. 2020 I believe they told HAIM that they would be supporting the Strokes before the Strokes had signed the dotted line. They also made posters with the Strokes on there before they agreed. Strokes got pissed and pulled out.

From what I’m reading from Ken they’ve essentially given the game away that Metallica are touring in 2022, when the band themselves are trying to keep it contained at the moment?

I don’t know if they’re just incompetent or they’re doing it on purpose to get the scoop and generate some buzz? Seems just incompetence if they’re losing headliners from it. Shame the organises seem all over the place because the festival itself is absolutely ace.

Anyway - keeping on topic, can’t wait for the next letter. Should give us a whole host of names right in the frame for Glastonbury. Interested particularly if above mentioned HAIM are back on this, and Sigrid too.

Just now, Suprefan said:

Its pointless to do this when the poster is out in 2 days and you will just have a clear picture without all the hassle. They probably thought doing this type of tease would somehow make them superior to Primavera.

It’s a fun little thing for people to get involved in imo, although it certainly seems like the letter choices are being rigged by bots which kind of defeats the whole point of it if true.

6 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Its not really much different to annoucing an announcement then counting down to it, which is pretty standard practice nowadays. 

Its plenty different when you reveal lots of artist names before youre allowed to. Like they couldve just put the poster out today with the letter T and let everyone do their mock ups for 48 hours. Wouldve been perfectly fine. Now its just gonna make the poster deop anti climactic.

36 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Its plenty different when you reveal lots of artist names before youre allowed to. Like they couldve just put the poster out today with the letter T and let everyone do their mock ups for 48 hours. Wouldve been perfectly fine. Now its just gonna make the poster deop anti climactic.

Yet here we are talking about it.

46 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I thought he'd said around the time of that album with Josh Homme that he wasn't going to be touring any more, so glad to see him still on the circuit.

I recall him saying around that time that he was bored of not touring. That he didn't wanna be an old man sat at home with his hobbies.