Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

11 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I think that was a few years before, and I'm pretty sure they were stepping in for someone. 

Pretty sure it was the same year but no idea if they replaced someone. 

I always just assumed they were much bigger over there than here. 

22 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

They're well past that. Did the JP last time. 

I categorise them as a band slipping down lineups though not going up them. They won’t get a big slot at all. 

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Didn’t they headline Coachella the same year?

Even in the states now they are taking slots below headliner. They aren’t going to take a huge slot at G if they play.

Its rumoured they were originally meant to be subbing the stones that year. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, gingerevans84 said:

Stepped in for Rolling Stones

If I remember correctly the stones were doing the same thing to coachella that they were doing to big G, where they verbally show interest in doing it but don’t sign the dotted line until closer to the event. Unlucky for coach the stones turned it down. Think it was due to the radius clause and the fact they wanted to do other shows.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I categorise them as a band slipping down lineups though not going up them. They won’t get a big slot at all. 

They headlined John Peel the last two times. I think that’s just their level now. Maybe they’d be evening Other instead if they played.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They headlined John Peel the last two times. I think that’s just their level now. Maybe they’d be evening Other instead if they played.

TIL that Phoenix played in 2017, I attended, and had no idea.

Phoenix were brilliant headlining John Peel in 2017, would happily have them back next year. 

To be fair to Matt, the crowd wasn’t exactly massive but other than The Streets and maybe Sigur Ros are JP headliners ever mobbed? I won tickets to see them in Glasgow the year after and it’s the quietest I’ve ever seen Barrowlands, so they’re definitely not the draw they once were but I still think they’d get JP headline or late afternoon Other at worst.

Yeah John Peel headliner again or like third/fourth down Other I’d say, although I don’t think they’d pull a particularly big crowd at either these days. Kind of strange to me that they’ve managed to cling on to big slots like headlining festivals like Primavera when most interest in them waned the moment Bankrupt! was released and wasn’t nearly as good as the one before. Their Coachella crowd must’ve been tiny.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah John Peel headliner again or like third/fourth down Other I’d say, although I don’t think they’d pull a particularly big crowd at either these days. Kind of strange to me that they’ve managed to cling on to big slots like headlining festivals like Primavera when most interest in them waned the moment Bankrupt! was released and wasn’t nearly as good as the one before. Their Coachella crowd must’ve been tiny.

@kingcrawler@matt42 I saw them in 2017 too, I was in bits after a very busy and eventful Friday night.  The crowd was really small, surprisingly so.  Think they were up against Foo Fighters but you wouldn't expect a huge amount of crossover.  London Grammar and then Metronomy filled the tent the night after, each had at least double the crowd.  Think Phoenix's placing as a "headliner" on the Primavera poster is due to Yeah Yeah Yeahs previously being promoted to "headliner" to pad out that particular day's line up.  Meaning Phoenix couldn't then be added without being a "headliner" too.