Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Field Day was a 2020 event rolled over to 2021.

Their latest album would have given them the bump up to APE headliner anyway.

Yeah but then you’re reaching into the unsubstantiated if you’re saying they were underbilled and would be bigger than Field Day in 2021. They’re below Jamie XX on the new Parklife bill, third stage. Jamie XX would be a ropey Other Stage headliner himself.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’d be a bastard for me. Always fancied seeing Cave (went for Pumpkins in 13) but wouldn’t miss Kendrick for anything.

Seems the obvious place for him though.

I feel like they don’t have acts like Nick Cave headline the Other anymore. Last pure rock headliner there was Jake Bugg, right? I think he’ll sub Pyramid if he’s present (Cave not Bugg).

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah but then you’re reaching into the unsubstantiated if you’re saying they were underbilled and would be bigger than Field Day in 2021. They’re below Jamie XX on the new Parklife bill, third stage. Jamie XX would be a ropey Other Stage headliner himself.

I feel like they don’t have acts like Nick Cave headline the Other anymore. Last pure rock headliner there was Jake Bugg, right? I think he’ll sub Pyramid if he’s present (Cave not Bugg).

This whole forum is based on guess work 😂

I think it’s getting harder to place certain acts on lineups... or is that just me? 

Bicep will get there (other headline level) in my opinion. But just not right now.

I think what’s holding them back is a couple of credentials to show they can do it. I don’t think they’ve had a chance yet to do a really big big show. A couple of big sets at various events and I think they will get to that level.

They won’t get to that level on sales, but on track record I imagine.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s getting harder to place certain acts on lineups... or is that just me? 

Bicep will get there (other headline level) in my opinion. But just not right now.

I think what’s holding them back is a couple of credentials to show they can do it. I don’t think they’ve had a chance yet to do a really big big show. A couple of big sets at various events and I think they will get to that level.

They won’t get to that level on sales, but on track record I imagine.

I agree with you on Bicep, they would be a weak Other stage headliner at the moment but they seem like a perfect fit for West Holts. A year or two of slightly bigger slots at various festivals as well as their own shows gives them the opportunity to show that they can handle playing on big stages to big crowds. They can then push on to playing even bigger gigs, moving up to Other stage headliners in a few years time on their next album seems like a natural progression from West Holts next year. 

I think you’ve mentioned this before but with there being very few festivals over the last couple of years acts haven’t had the chance to showcase themselves in front of new fans in the same way they usually do every summer. It’s harder to predict what acts will now justify bigger slots at festivals next year. This years lineups have a few strange placings too, though it’s hard to tell whether that’s because of things like acts trying to play anywhere they can, a lack of bigger acts available etc. Jorja Smith headlining Boardmasters was a surprising one for me, I expected her to move up the lineups next year but was pretty surprised to see her headlining something as big as Boardmasters already. On the other hand, Wolf Alice seem pretty low down at R&L for a band we seem to think could be Other stage headliners next year, though that might just be a case of them taking a payday this summer while they can get one. 

51 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I agree with you on Bicep, they would be a weak Other stage headliner at the moment but they seem like a perfect fit for West Holts. A year or two of slightly bigger slots at various festivals as well as their own shows gives them the opportunity to show that they can handle playing on big stages to big crowds. They can then push on to playing even bigger gigs, moving up to Other stage headliners in a few years time on their next album seems like a natural progression from West Holts next year. 

I think you’ve mentioned this before but with there being very few festivals over the last couple of years acts haven’t had the chance to showcase themselves in front of new fans in the same way they usually do every summer. It’s harder to predict what acts will now justify bigger slots at festivals next year. This years lineups have a few strange placings too, though it’s hard to tell whether that’s because of things like acts trying to play anywhere they can, a lack of bigger acts available etc. Jorja Smith headlining Boardmasters was a surprising one for me, I expected her to move up the lineups next year but was pretty surprised to see her headlining something as big as Boardmasters already. On the other hand, Wolf Alice seem pretty low down at R&L for a band we seem to think could be Other stage headliners next year, though that might just be a case of them taking a payday this summer while they can get one. 

Yup. Some acts I think maintain a level of popularity by regularly playing in front of big crowds. There are always a few acts which become big by getting festival sets which are plastered all over the BBC / YouTube.

I think with the early summer events across the globe we get a gradual idea of who is going to be getting big crowds. It’s like how Billie Eilish at the start of the festival season went from a pop star on the rise to getting headline sized crowds at the end of the season. Some artists definitely get big crowds through circuit hype.

Also some artists have quieter fan bases, and Jorja Smith is one of them. A lot of people listen to her music and enjoy her but you don’t see her all over social media or mentioned much. However when it comes to shows I expect her to pull a big crowd and probably be a marquee act of the weekend.

A few months ago I wondered where she’d place on a glasto lineup now. I reckon if they were feeling generous she could sub / 3rd down pyramid. She could also sub other stage. I guess it comes down to how much the festival wants to push her. Either way she will get a big crowd.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

This whole forum is based on guess work 😂

Of course. Laughing crying emoji. I’m guessing too, nothing wrong with it.

Just you first referred to the festival slot as an indicator and then dismissed the slot and pivoted to the success of the new album and what am I supposed to do with that, y’know?

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Of course. Laughing crying emoji. I’m guessing too, nothing wrong with it.

Just you first referred to the festival slot as an indicator and then dismissed the slot and pivoted to the success of the new album and what am I supposed to do with that, y’know?

There’s no dismissing or pivoting going on.

I’m saying I think they’d have been headlining APE anyway, off the back of their album. 

It would have been the natural trajectory from Field Day. 

And I think in a normal year they could headline the Other stage. 

They might not. 

All just a guess. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

There’s no dismissing or pivoting going on.

I’m saying I think they’d have been headlining APE anyway, off the back of their album. 

It would have been the natural trajectory from Field Day. 

And I think in a normal year they could headline the Other stage. 

They might not. 

All just a guess. 

Either way I first saw Bicep in 2012 and they’ve managed to get bigger and bigger every year since. It will happen at some point i’m sure. They’ve shown no signs of slowing down for almost 10 years now.

56 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Beck into Nick Cave would do nicely.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him subbing Other in theory, either — the Pixies/Pumpkins slot. But then it's matter of who are our Other headliners I guess, as Beck into AJ Tracey or whoever would be just as wonky programming as he was into Coldplay.

Good spot about AJ Tracey. I think he could get moved up a slot due to how big he has got.

Surely a sub/headline other stage option? Might sound out there but I think he could even sub pyramid stage.