LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

1 minute ago, incident said:

Not certain on the maths there - I don't think it's been officially confirmed either way whether the extra 7,000 went on sale for 2020 or not, so it's possible that they're already included in the 22,000.

I thought there was a statement made at some point to the effect that they hadn’t used them as yet? Or was that for 2019? 

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I thought there was a statement made at some point to the effect that they hadn’t used them as yet? Or was that for 2019? 

Yeah - it was confirmed (words to the effect of) that they could've but didn't use them in 2019, but intended to for 2020. Whether they ever went on sale or not was never officially revealed - though my gut feeling is that 15k+7k=22k is too much of a coincidence so they probably did.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah - it was confirmed (words to the effect of) that they could've but didn't use them in 2019, but intended to for 2020. Whether they ever went on sale or not was never officially revealed - though my gut feeling is that 15k+7k=22k is too much of a coincidence so they probably did.

Then add the Sunday tickets, for a total of 27k

3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

dont know if it would help but could your friends take put your stuff in the lockers until your ready to get your stuff ? not sure if possible though 🤷‍♂️

that's worth a shout...although I guess they would be the ones retrieving it? 

When I got the coach in 2015 the same friend took camping chairs and beers for us and we then went and retrieved those when everything had calmed down later on the Wednesday. All I carried in on the coach was my rucksack with my clothes and tent inside it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

that's worth a shout...although I guess they would be the ones retrieving it? 

When I got the coach in 2015 the same friend took camping chairs and beers for us and we then went and retrieved those when everything had calmed down later on the Wednesday. All I carried in on the coach was my rucksack with my clothes and tent inside it.

thats good then. I just thought if they are going through gate C on wednesday moring then they could carry youre stuff down the hill of death and put all your stuff in a few lockers , meet up with you when ever and give you the token/keys and you can retrive your stuff at your leisure throught out the festival. but yeah maybe just take the hit and do it all in one go haha

21 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I disagree with almost everything you say.

I find you obnoxious, rude and condescending and where others see it as your charm and niche I disagree. 🤷🏻‍♂️

why do you care?

Upvote from Neil hahahahhaha

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

How much stuff can you take on a normal National Express (not See)

As a guide they say your backpack/bag etc. and your tent. A lot of people still turn up with trolleys packed full but they make them wait til all the regular luggage is on before trying to fit them in. Been held up a few times cos they've had to remove everything from the trolley to fit it all in. I usually take my bag, tent to go under the bus then another suitably sized coolbag with drinks etc. and put that under my seat

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’d be interested in knowing the answer to this as well. I’m assuming a backpack, tent and sensible ‘hand luggage’ each?

Backpack, tent, a crate of beer or similar and your hand luggage in my one experience. And yes if you've got too much clearly unnecessary stuff (i.e. trolley/booze) they'll wait and see after getting everyone's actual equipment in first.

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They already have a huge issue with unofficial campsites outside the fest, doubt they'd want to make that even worse.

What is the issue, out of interest? I've always just assumed that those with land nearby get some benefit from the festival inconvenience.  I don't think the likes of Windinglake affect the festival in a negative way, but I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, leonaves said:

Interested in this. Is the agreement specifically "x thousand must arrive by coach" or "no more than x thousand can arrive by car"? i.e. can they achieve the same by simply restricting car park sales and then everyone else has to arrive by public transport anyway.

they cant really restrict the car parking cos the unparked cars would clogg up the local roads, so they'll try to park all cars to get them off the roads.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

What is the issue, out of interest? I've always just assumed that those with land nearby get some benefit from the festival inconvenience.  I don't think the likes of Windinglake affect the festival in a negative way, but I could be wrong. 

I'm going to oversimplify this quite a bit, but for the most part the issues are that the campsites not being part of the festival means that they don't have to act in accordance with the Festival licence and so can conflict with things like noise pollution, traffic management, alcohol sales, etc.. All of which are carefully agreed between GFL and MDC, and one operator can mess things up massively.

Living in London I honestly think the coach is the best option, they are available basically every half an hour, are quick and to the gate. I can still take a tent, rucksack and 12 beers plus spirits and easily carry these. I am fairly lucky that I can afford to pay for my beers and have a preference for cold ones so the lack of booze doesn’t seem a massive issue to me, plus I’ve had years where of someone is coming with a car they just bring more and we do the long walk back to pick this up.

Just now, Barneym said:

Living in London I honestly think the coach is the best option, they are available basically every half an hour, are quick and to the gate. I can still take a tent, rucksack and 12 beers plus spirits and easily carry these. I am fairly lucky that I can afford to pay for my beers and have a preference for cold ones so the lack of booze doesn’t seem a massive issue to me, plus I’ve had years where of someone is coming with a car they just bring more and we do the long walk back to pick this up.

I asked a question about that in the other part of the forum but you mention that here so I will ask directly.  Would be a problem to carry a pack of beers (12/18) with their package per person and just put them down the coach next to your stuff? I am talking about carrying them out of any backpack.

6 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I asked a question about that in the other part of the forum but you mention that here so I will ask directly.  Would be a problem to carry a pack of beers (12/18) with their package per person and just put them down the coach next to your stuff? I am talking about carrying them out of any backpack.

I think it depends how much of the coach is already filled up.

When I got the coach some people brought extra alcohol and camping chairs that had to get left behind because there was absolutely no room left, but you might get lucky that other people haven't brought as much so there will be room, may be down to luck on the day.  I personally didn't take any hand luggage onto the coach with me so could have taken a crate of beer instead had I not offloaded it to friends who were coming in a campervan.

If you know of other people coming in a car then it may be an idea to ask them nicely to take your beer for you.  

26 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm going to oversimplify this quite a bit, but for the most part the issues are that the campsites not being part of the festival means that they don't have to act in accordance with the Festival licence and so can conflict with things like noise pollution, traffic management, alcohol sales, etc.. All of which are carefully agreed between GFL and MDC, and one operator can mess things up massively.

I’m pretty sure you need a license to sell alcohol, these offsite campsites will still rules to follow if they’re legitimate businesses, just like a shop or a pub does.

35 minutes ago, stuie said:

22 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah basically what @incident says. 

Much less regulation on them as they're not part of the festival but if something goes wrong  (i.e. poor sanitation, bad conditions, fire, etc) or its just badly managed it would could have a huge negative reflection on the festival as people won't draw the distinction.

Then all those people need to actually get to the site each day, there's been issues in the past around who's actually able to use the drop off point during the festival. 

At the last festival there were 25 external campsites, so it's not an insignificant risk.

17 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I’m my opinion no, you can put it by your feet if you need to so should be fine, that also reminds me that I also take a chair which I strap to my rucksack 

3 hours ago, leonaves said:

Interested in this. Is the agreement specifically "x thousand must arrive by coach" or "no more than x thousand can arrive by car"? i.e. can they achieve the same by simply restricting car park sales and then everyone else has to arrive by public transport anyway.

I haven't seen the planning condition but I suspect that it would require a set percentage of festival tickets to be 'coach' tickets. This is pretty much the only enforceable mechanism they have of encouraging sustainable modes of transport and limiting festival traffic, hence why coach tickets are only received when boarded. With respect to parking for the remainder of the tickets sold, they would make some fairly robust calculations based on data from previous years such that they always have more than enough.

I work as a Transport Planner so I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to this stuff. One of the interesting things for me will be how this and other festivals plan to adapt to the electric car era. Its unfeasible to expect them to provide temporary infrastructure to cater for large numbers of electric vehicles.  Maybe an alternate fuel source such as hydrogen will solve the issue in the long-term. However, I think its highly likely that over the coming years the proportion of coach tickets sold will steadily increase to force more and more of us out of our cars..

Only on efests would asking a perfectly reasonable question as to why someone who lives in Bristol is fuming that they have to travel to London to get the bus that they bought get a barage of hate🙄🙄

im fully aware that things have changed in the time since ticket day, I’ve emigrated to Luxembourg in that time, but I’m not fuming that I now need to travel hundreds of miles to go to a festival which if it had taken place in 2020 I’d have had a 30minute journey to get to.

the coaches are supposed to be a green initiative to lower the overall environmental impact of the festival, that is completely nullified by people getting coaches from hundreds of miles from where they live.

Edited by Smeble

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

Only on efests would asking a perfectly reasonable question as to why someone who lives in Bristol is fuming that they have to travel to London to get the bus that they bought get a garage of hate🙄🙄

im fully aware that things have changed in the time since ticket day, I’ve emigrated to Luxembourg in that time, but I’m not fuming that I now need to travel hundreds of miles to go to a festival which if it had taken place in 2020 I’d have had a 30minute journey to get to.

the coaches are supposed to be a green initiative to lower the overall environmental impact of the festival, that is completely nullified by people getting coaches from hundreds of miles from where they live.

I haven’t seen any hate, just fairly common sense reasons given as to why everyone who wants to can’t just swap their coach ticket.

• Upvote 1