LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

32 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not at all, there are plenty of people on this very thread saying they only do it for an extra bite at the sale. I try in the coach sale every year but I’d prefer not to have to go on the coach.

Hmm, not saying you're wrong, but I don't think this forum is necessarily a representative sample.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Done the coach a few times myself, it's absolutely fine.

Why would you give up an opportunity to go for the sake of a few hours on a coach?

I've done it once before in 2015 and it was fine, apart from when we went to leave on the Monday and our coach got filled by early arrivals who were booked on later coaches and left without us and we had to get the next one. Not funny.

Actually I think you mentioned doing this as well...one of my friends is going in a campervan and has offered to take my kit down for me but I'm a bit concerned about logistics and coming into the festival then having to go back out again to get my gear and is it more trouble than its worth. 

I will defiantly hand over my camping chair and beers but I'm thinking I probably should still take my tent.

What was your experience of doing this sort of thing in the past?

38 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Yep their hands are tied as the licence agreement is x thousand attendees arrive by coach. That cant change, there isnt enough parking, would cause more traffic & contravenes licence.

Interested in this. Is the agreement specifically "x thousand must arrive by coach" or "no more than x thousand can arrive by car"? i.e. can they achieve the same by simply restricting car park sales and then everyone else has to arrive by public transport anyway.

I go for coach as I would be depending on someone else to get me there and back otherwise. Got GA for this year but still booked the national express which will be a new experience compared to the official Glasto coach. 

The main challenge is packing everything including tent in one bag. Knowing the weather beforehand is critical for those who have to travel light. 

6 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Interested in this. Is the agreement specifically "x thousand must arrive by coach" or "no more than x thousand can arrive by car"? i.e. can they achieve the same by simply restricting car park sales and then everyone else has to arrive by public transport anyway.

As i understand it, they got an agreement to increase capacity of the festival but the deal was that to prevent more traffic building up all the extra capacity was tied to coach travel to keep locals happy. This was ages ago but a google got me here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/13481/response/89820/attach/html/3/Glastonbury Festival Licence.pdf.html

the additional capacity applied for 2007 – 2010 should not have any additional impact 
on noise arising from the traffic from an increased numbers of individual cars since the additional 
tickets shall on be on sale linked to a coach ticket purchase.  

15 minutes ago, leonaves said:

I think the see tickets coaches total 15,000 attendees.

27 minutes ago, leonaves said:

I think it’s just common sense, we’re not talking about opinions on music and the festival in general, and that being skewed by the type of people that post on this forum, coach vs car or train is going to come down to the same choices for anyone on here as it would be for any joe blogs on the street.

If you have a car or access to a car then the pros generally far outweigh the cons as far as getting the coach. Indeed the train may even be preferable as well.

Given access to car/train, the only real advantage of the coach is easier access when you arrive, otherwise the cons are being able to bring less stuff, a much longer journey to and from, no real choice of when you arrive and when you leave. Those type of preferences have nothing to do with the demographic of a festival forum, they just come down to normal every day human preferences.

Edit: quoted the wrong post, but it’s in response to you saying the response to you saying it’s skewed by the opinions being from here.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it’s just common sense, we’re not talking about opinions on music and the festival in general, and that being skewed by the type of people that post on this forum, coach vs car train is going to come down to the same choices for anyone on here as it would be for any joe blogs on the street.

If you have a car or access to a car then the pros generally far outweigh the cons as far as getting the coach. Indeed the train may even be preferable as well.

Given access to car/train, the only real advantage of the coach is easier access when you arrive, otherwise the cons are being able to bring less stuff, a much longer journey to and from, no real choice of when you arrive and when you leave. Those type of preferences have nothing to do with the demographic of a festival forum, they just come down to normal every day human preferences.

One major pro of getting the coach is being able to go as hard as you like on the Sunday night. Pulled an all nighter on the Sunday virtually every Glastonbury I've been to, gotta make the most of the festival till the end.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it’s just common sense, we’re not talking about opinions on music and the festival in general, and that being skewed by the type of people that post on this forum, coach vs car or train is going to come down to the same choices for anyone on here as it would be for any joe blogs on the street.

Edit: quoted the wrong post, but it’s in response to you saying the response to you saying it’s skewed by the opinions being from here.

How much stuff can you take on a normal National Express (not See)

32 minutes ago, leonaves said:

This would cause chaos people would turn up and dump their cars / unofficial car parks would form etc

35 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've done it once before in 2015 and it was fine, apart from when we went to leave on the Monday and our coach got filled by early arrivals who were booked on later coaches and left without us and we had to get the next one. Not funny.

Actually I think you mentioned doing this as well...one of my friends is going in a campervan and has offered to take my kit down for me but I'm a bit concerned about logistics and coming into the festival then having to go back out again to get my gear and is it more trouble than its worth. 

I will defiantly hand over my camping chair and beers but I'm thinking I probably should still take my tent.

As long as you have understanding mates is fine. I've given them my tents and heavy gear to bring in the car previously (helps to remind them who usually sorts their tickets out) and just turn up with a backpack...

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Having done both I would roughly agree the advantage of the coach is, not having to be in a suitable state to drive home on the Monday, quicker to get through the gate when you arrive and helping the planet be that little bit greener. 

You do have to pack very light and the two times I've done it I've had to get other people to bring my alcohol in for me in their car. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

As long as you have understanding mates is fine. I've given them my tents and heavy gear to bring in the car previously (helps to remind them who usually sorts their tickets out) and just turn up with a backpack...

Was it a pain in the butt to logistically sort out though?  

I'm just worried that I'll come through ped gate A, then have to get over to the east campervan field to then pick up my main bulk of kit to then bring back into the festival and end up causing more problems than its worth.

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm just worried that I'll come through ped gate A, then have to get over to the east campervan field to then pick up my main bulk of kit to then bring back into the festival and end up causing more problems than its worth.

They weren't in camper vans, they were camping, so it was asking nicely for them to take and put up my tent and carry some booze in. I travel pretty light anyway so was able to fit everything else in my rucksack. In WV this year so there should be even less to worry about.

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

I am still dreaming that what we will get this get will be the poster rather than an individual announcement. I know Emily mentioned March but...

Agree with this. Seems kind of pointless to announce a headliner this week if the poster is next week. Only way I see a headliner getting announced is if the poster doesn't drop till late March 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They weren't in camper vans, they were camping, so it was asking nicely for them to take and put up my tent and carry some booze in. I travel pretty light anyway so was able to fit everything else in my rucksack. In WV this year so there should be even less to worry about.

Ahh got you...that would be more helpful if someone did that for me but the best offer I have is to get my stuff as far as the campervan field!

1 hour ago, sisco said:

I know I only try for coach because it gives me 2 chances to get tickets.  I’d imagine many many thousands are in the same boat

Agree - I would be. If I had a different job maybe not, but work makes getting the coach very difficult so I’d only try the coach sale out of desperation to go. 

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Yep their hands are tied as the licence agreement is x thousand attendees arrive by coach. That cant change, there isnt enough parking, would cause more traffic & contravenes licence.

the system is imperfect but you either get your coach & go, or dont & risk your tickets being at a pick up point, or get a refund.

if i were a teacher like that example off twitter i would just call in sick and not put anything on social media. What can they do? It would be hard to arrive on the friday as a teacher any other way than by train too as you cant buy a car park pass with a coach ticket, there wont be national express coaches on a friday. Unless you got a lift. And then you have the stress of trying to collect your ticket from a box office when the festival is already well underway and you’ve missed the weds, thurs and half the friday. Just skive and get the coach.

The conditions are that X number of attendees must arrive by coach, as stated above. I found some additional info: 

79628673-DC9D-4770-B6E9-D6F45C761804.thumb.png.8b94294779411f5bdddc030c43cc15e7.png3F5690AA-CC6F-4C6D-B997-6CDE3CCFBE79.jpeg.546116fe9941c48285b9fe3654158112.jpeg

So all Sunday tickets have to be coach tickets, plus the additional capacity mentioned further up, which was another 7,000. On top of that, Glastonbury say they sell 22,000+ SeeTickets coach packages. 
5k + 7k + 22k = minimum 34,000 coach tickets. 
image.png.6ea7592601e98a1d67d9267cf3104d0d.png

as far as the teacher thing goes, I would absolutely call in sick. I’m a teacher but in 2019 I did this and wore a mask any time I went near a televised performance or was likely to be in a photo. 

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

Nah, reckon most people get them solely because they go on sale first. 

agree 

41 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Hmm, not saying you're wrong, but I don't think this forum is necessarily a representative sample.

Fair point 

40 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Definitely take your tent. You can get set up when you arrive and then go and get your stuff  from East campers. But of a schlep though. If you just get your mates to take booze and chairs it’s reasonable to ask them to bring that to your campsite.

39 minutes ago, leonaves said:

See above 

Just now, Matt42 said:

@Andy0808 v5 still voting down every post of mine like the child he is.

Can you please just ignore me or stop trying to get on my nerves? I find it incredibly sad that this is what you spent most of your day doing. Do you not have something better to do? If you don’t I feel sorry for you.

Unnecessary - why does this forum need any disagreements? 

image.png

25 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

dont know if it would help but could your friends take put your stuff in the lockers until your ready to get your stuff ? not sure if possible though 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

So all Sunday tickets have to be coach tickets, plus the additional capacity mentioned further up, which was another 7,000. On top of that, Glastonbury say they sell 22,000+ SeeTickets coach packages. 

5k + 7k + 22k = minimum 34,000 coach tickets.

Not certain on the maths there - I don't think it's been officially confirmed either way whether the extra 7,000 went on sale for 2020 or not, so it's possible that they're already included in the 22,000.

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@Andy0808 v5 still voting down every post of mine like the child he is.

Can you please just ignore me or stop trying to get on my nerves? I find it incredibly sad that this is what you spent most of your day doing. Do you not have something better to do? If you don’t I feel sorry for you.

Just ignore him, he's clearly a twat.  People seem to be counterbalancing the downs with some ups too. 

Sadly, posts like this will just encourage him as he's getting the attention he's craving.