LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

50 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I commented on someone asking similiar in a differnet thread.

To hold the poster back a few weeks just incase an act or two drops out because of covid/EU restrictions (over something we have no control over) seems silly to me, when there is just the more possibility of acts cancelling within days of the festival from catching Covid while on tour. I think holding the poster back, to possibly after the resale date is insane when no other festival is doing that. Glastonbury is sold out, they have no need to hold back the poster. 

Last year Latitude only announced their lineup 2 months before it happened and there were still several acts who pulled out, no matter when you release the poster it's likely there will have to be some changes closer to the time so you may as well announce it and run the gauntlet of people being out by the time the festival arrives 

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So guys. What would you prefer?

1) We get a poster drop towards the end of Feb… with some acts on it that will eventually drop out due to the current situation.

2) the festival gives us a poster (April ish) after collecting balances but the lineup they announce is more accurate.

Hate to be a dabbie downer but not all acts they announce on a poster in the next few weeks will make it to the festival. 

An I missing something but what about the current situation means acts that agree to perform now are likely to drop out? 

Travel restrictions are generally easing, UK is removing quarantine and testing regs on arrivals making it possibly an attractive place to tour given the certainty.

There's a higher then normal chance of drop outs immediately before I'd imagine but I'm talking week of sort of imminent.

13 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

An I missing something but what about the current situation means acts that agree to perform now are likely to drop out? 

Travel restrictions are generally easing, UK is removing quarantine and testing regs on arrivals making it possibly an attractive place to tour given the certainty.

There's a higher then normal chance of drop outs immediately before I'd imagine but I'm talking week of sort of imminent.

1 act who wasn't officially confirmed but said they were playing on their tour cancelling their EU tour due to Covid(Aerosmith) and 1 act who wasn't confirmed to play just rumoured cancelling shows with no reason given, but most thinking its due to legal stuff (Queens of the Stone Age). This has led Matt to think that lots more are going to drop out. 

12 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

1 act who wasn't officially confirmed but said they were playing on their tour cancelling their EU tour due to Covid(Aerosmith) and 1 act who wasn't confirmed to play just rumoured cancelling shows with no reason given, but most thinking its due to legal stuff (Queens of the Stone Age). This has led Matt to think that lots more are going to drop out. 

And Bruce Springsteen noping out of his 2022 tour.

29 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It’s spread amongst multiple threads but we’re noticing a trend where some US acts are going back on their dates. We’ve had a handful so far but these things don’t happen in isolation. So far Queens, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen are good examples. Also RATM pushing their entire tour back to July could kinda count. 

Things are opening up but america is experiencing an omicron wave now. So I think it’s got the Americans a bit spooked. All well and fine the UK having no rules, but mainland Europe still does and if it’s a ball ache for an international act to do a European tour they will cancel the whole thing. Very few will cancel all but their UK dates.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

It doesn’t seem a huge leap to assume more US acts are going to sack off touring between now and festival. 

As I’ve said before, end of January is a noted cutoff for decisions on summer tours for most acts. There will probably be one or two more high-profile cancellations around Europe that’ll have us wobbling in the next couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

So guys. What would you prefer?

1) We get a poster drop towards the end of Feb… with some acts on it that will eventually drop out due to the current situation.

2) the festival gives us a poster (April ish) after collecting balances but the lineup they announce is more accurate.

Hate to be a dabbie downer but not all acts they announce on a poster in the next few weeks will make it to the festival. 

1 for sure 

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Ah right I see, I actually think we're incredibly unlikely to get a poster pre balance payment. 

It just makes no business sense, it sold out and those customers have held onto the ticket for 2+years it is a very fair assumption that 90/95% of those people will convert to paying the full balance because "it will be good". 

Some won't want the risk but most people have had this weekend marked out for basically 2 1/2 years by balance day. 

Why would they add in a risk of releasing a lineup earlier then normal and have people going "nah, that's rubbish" and give up the tickets. The risk of that happening and then not being able to resell is surely higher than the numbers who won't pay without a lineup, despite the fests existing good reputation for having excellent acts.

Recently in a normal year they've been able to release 80-90% of the main stage acts in a mid march poster drop.

They'd need to bring that timeline forward by a month to be able to announce the same level of acts. I just can't see how they'd be able to do that? Whilst I think covid will improve this is far from a "normal" year booking wise. 

Without having to hit that April balance deadline they might take a bit more time with it. I think an Easter poster drop is much more likely. 

Edited by Leyrulion
Added more

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

At this rate we might as well cancel Diana and Kendrick, along with any other act from the US. 

I’ve said it before, elsewhere, but here it is again.

As I understand it, the issue as things stand is that the freedom of movement within the EU isn’t happening as was because individual countries are implementing their own covid restrictions and travelling throughout the EU is a bureaucratic nightmare for a large group of people.

I expect Diana will be ok as I believe she’s only touring the UK

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Ah right I see, I actually think we're incredibly unlikely to get a poster pre balance payment. 

It just makes no business sense, it sold out and those customers have held onto the ticket for 2+years it is a very fair assumption that 90/95% of those people will convert to paying the full balance because "it will be good". 

Some won't want the risk but most people have had this weekend marked out for basically 2 1/2 years by balance day. 

Why would they add in a risk of releasing a lineup earlier then normal and have people going "nah, that's rubbish" and give up the tickets. The risk of that happening and then not being able to resell is surely higher than the numbers who won't pay without a lineup, despite the fests existing good reputation for having excellent acts.

Recently in a normal year they've been able to release 80-90% of the main stage acts in a mid march poster drop.

They'd need to bring that timeline forward by a month to be able to announce the same level of acts. I just can't see how they'd be able to do that? Whilst I think covid will improve this is far from a "normal" year booking wise. 

Without having to hit that April balance deadline they might take a bit more time with it. I think an Easter poster drop is much more likely. 

To think that after 3 years of waiting that people will drop their tickets because they don't like the lineup and that it wont sell out is one of the funniest things I've read on this forum. 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:34 AM, Ddiamondd said:

To paid back the Glasto debt that's owed, Florence + the Machine are in line to headline have been rightfully supplanted on the bill by Candi Staton, whose hit Flo nabbed and made overblown fodder for Tatler readers.

its frankie knuckle's hit, not candi's.

16 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

And of course, it was The Horrors’ before that. Mr Knuckles took a five-finger discount on the sample.

i didnt know that thanks. i think i met one of these guys with amy whitehouse the last time she did glasto, in west holts backstage bar.

I have a feeling we may not get a poster for a while. Maybe a headliner announcement or something but right now we are seeing mass ejector button triggering going on. I have a feeling that if Glasto was ringing up some acts asking for an answer they’d say they weren’t sure. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I have a feeling we may not get a poster for a while. Maybe a headliner announcement or something but right now we are seeing mass ejector button triggering going on. I have a feeling that if Glasto was ringing up some acts asking for an answer they’d say they weren’t sure. 

Mass?

You should work in journalism with the amount of sensationalism you do 😂

I could see us not getting the usual first poster by balance window

but there will surely be a meaningful artist announcement of some kind, even if its just the 2nd headliner and maybe a hand picked few extra names

there will be something to get the juices flowing pre balances

or they could do a condensed first poster of about 25 names rather than the usual 50/60? Lots of options

patience!

• Upvote 1