LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

8 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Accuracy of the above doesn't matter. The cost of maintaining a Royal Family is ludicrous.

• We gave them £67 million in 2019.
  • We spent hundreds of thousands of pounds driving a £4bn hat to be put on a chair for the state opening of parliament. 
  • The Queen's personal wealth is over £350m - including a £100m stamp collection. 
  • Monarchy PLC holds about £25bn in assets. 

Why am I being taxed to pay for them? Let them stay as ceremonial figureheads, fine, I can live with that, but make them stand on their own feet. 

Accuracy doesn’t matter….? Did you say you were a teacher?

Edited by Blisterpack

17 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Arguably, if we chose somewhere interesting for the beheading we could make a new tourist attraction and make even more tourist money. For example, lots of tourists on a historical tour of the site of regicide, Bracknell Leisure Centre. 

Let's do it in Coventry, they could do with some more tourist money

Privatise the royal family. If anyone wants to give them money they can do it on the royal go fund me.

You could even set up an option as to which family member you want to give to.

If you think princess Beatrice deserves money for nowt then knock yourself out and the rest of us can feel good knowing that she is not getting any of our hard earned money.

Everybody would be happier

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Pretty sure they're saying that the accuracy of the made up £30k figure doesn't matter because the known figures* they're quoting are already ridiculous. 

So it's not the accuracy so much that doesn't matter, but that figure in general so there's no point in discussing it's legitimacy. 

Anyway, announcements! Big one next week 😁

*I presume these figures are from a reputable publicly available source. 

6 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

As in, I'm not interested in it - I'm talking about a wider point of the gross cost of the royals. 

I'm not discussing the jubilee celebrations. 

And I'm an English teacher, so marking is subjective rather than definite! 

3 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Pretty sure they're saying that the accuracy of the made up £30k figure doesn't matter because the known figures* they're quoting are already ridiculous. 

So it's not the accuracy so much that doesn't matter, but that figure in general so there's no point in discussing it's legitimacy. 

Anyway, announcements! Big one next week 😁

This ^^^^^^^^

*Googled figures - some are estimates, but widely used and accepted. 

3 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Generally accepted to be £1 billion. 26 million households, so 30 odd quid a household. That’s gross (I know, in more ways than one…) so I suppose you should really net off economic benefits before deciding how much it has cost taxpayers. If anything. 

9 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Surely the full line up will next Wednesday? 1st June and before the bank holiday. Otherwise it'll be 7th June and 2 odd weeks before the festival starts which'll be pretty late?

Yeah I think that’s the date I’m going with too.

28 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Surely the full line up will be next Wednesday? 1st June and before the bank holiday. Otherwise it'll be 7th June and 2 odd weeks before the festival starts which'll be pretty late?

We've had inside info it's actually Monday 30th May.

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

I'm really not sure that Doja Cat has/ will cause any delay. I can't see why they'd be able to magic an act out of thin air that just happens to be touring in UK at this time etc. Why would they not have asked them already and they're already be on the line-up? They will just shuffle things around. 

I don't think the line-up was ever coming today, which Emily quoted as saying "in June". 

Nothing to do with Doja Cat. 

They got Gorillaz to replace U2 in 2010 "out of thin air". They had The Who magically jump onboard when it seemed very unlikely in 2015. Also, some acts genuinely say no. Maybe thats something that surprises you. Just cause youre one of the top fests in the world doesnt mean you get everyone just by picking up the phone. Plenty of acts are only attainable if the payday is right and Glasto doesnt pay full fees to anyone. Coachella made Ariana Grande happen in 24 hours when Kanye dropped out in 2019. They had to postpone about 10  tour dates to do it. They took an extra week to get Harry Styles this year when Rage Against The Machine backed out at the last minute. So plenty of things can happen in a weel or more. If glasto leaves the Doja spot at TBA then theyre going to take a little extra time to decide on what to do since they got it.

Edited by Suprefan

57 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

They got Gorillaz to replace U2 in 2010 "out of thin air". They had The Who magically jump onboard when it seemed very unlikely in 2015. Also, some acts genuinely say no. Maybe thats something that surprises you. Just cause youre one of the top fests in the world doesnt mean you get everyone just by picking up the phone. Plenty of acts are only attainable if the payday is right and Glasto doesnt pay full fees to anyone. Coachella made Ariana Grande happen in 24 hours when Kanye dropped out in 2019. They had to postpone about 10  tour dates to do it. They took an extra week to get Harry Styles this year when Rage Against The Machine backed out at the last minute. So plenty of things can happen in a weel or more. If glasto leaves the Doja spot at TBA then theyre going to take a little extra time to decide on what to do since they got it.

Point is, it’s probably a lot easier to replace an act that isn’t a headliner to one that is.

If one of the 3 Pyramid headliners pulls out it becomes newsworthy and all eyes are on the festival for a replacement. 

Regarding Doja pulling out, there are a lot more second tier acts around that could potentially fit in, or be bumped up from the current line-up. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Point is, it’s probably a lot easier to replace an act that isn’t a headliner to one that is.

If one of the 3 Pyramid headliners pulls out it becomes newsworthy and all eyes are on the festival for a replacement.

Outside of here and the other festival sites has anyone even noticed? The general public only look at the headliners. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Outside of here and the other festival sites has anyone even noticed? The general public only look at the headliners. 

Yep every time someone asks whose playing they just want to know what 3 are on the Pyramid and maybe the legend slot as well. 

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep every time someone asks whose playing they just want to know what 3 are on the Pyramid and maybe the legend slot as well. 

well it does make the conversation easier and shorter. BUT I have to say a colleague with MOR musical taste did spot Doja Cat when spying on my screen that was displaying the line up poster. Well that old thing that needs updating!

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

I’m no flag waver but I’d rather have the monarchy than another prick politician only interested in re election and lining their pockets with back handers. At least they bring in tourist money, plus Charlie boy was highlighting  the environment long before it was cool.

The Queen's crown was given its own car last week.

Charles sat on a golden, jewel encrusted throne and spoke about social housing and "tough times" which we are all experiencing. 

Their nephew (and most likely others) are quite obvious nonces, and are able to be bailed out by the head honcho whenever needed. 

I hope in my lifetime that the monarchy falls. I just don't see what need there is for them in this day and age. The tourism shout means zilch, empty Buckingham Palace and allow tourists in for a fee to take a look around and I guarantee there's more money generated from that than a few arl bags living within those four walls. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1