LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

1 minute ago, Mamba said:

At my first Reading Festival in '98, there were some old guys called Page & Plant headlining (we had no interest in watching at the time), and that must be how teenagers see the likes of the Gallaghers now.

A good amount of teenagers still love the gallaghers, Liam headlined Reading last year for instance.

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

That's definitely looking the best option for me, but it's an early finish headliner. Need something to do after

Pet Shop Boy - They had their heyday in the 80's so by our new definition are definitely a heritage act. 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

A good amount of teenagers still love the gallaghers, Liam headlined Reading last year for instance.

I actually think for a lot of households of real music lovers generational differences aren't as prevalent. One of my main gig going mates is about 8 years older than me and has a son who is almost 20 and they swap and share music all the time. Obviously lots of household where parents still only listen to what they did as teenagers but not as many as there would have been for my generation for example. I am mid 40's and my mother had mostly appalling taste in music and my Dads taste was limited to Buddy Holly and Simon and Garfunkel. 

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think a lot of that is down to how music is consumed these days. In 1998, unless your parents had Led Zeppelin records in the house, teenagers weren't listening to them. Anyone can listen to Oasis if they want these days, and have never really left the mainstream.

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Irvine Welsh has just randomly shared the 'I'm playing' graphic so i wonder if another announcement is on its way... 

He's 'Klaus Blatter' on the Glade poster. Acid House for the most part.

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Irvine Welsh has just randomly shared the 'I'm playing' graphic so i wonder if another announcement is on its way... 

I've just asked what stage. I think he did a set at Stonebridge bar last time (could be wrong though)

If you think about it heritage DJ sets must be on the verge of becoming a thing. For instance, Sasha and Digweed put out their first Renaissance mix cd 30 years ago! When I first went to the festival 30 years ago was 1972, I'd have considered any band from that era to be old as fuck. So how much longer before we're going to see Fatboy Slim headline the Acoustic stage?

It's definitely interesting how music tastes and accompanying biases have changed in recent years, to the point that kids seem more than happy to go and watch DJs who are in their 50s.

29 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Pet Shop Boy - They had their heyday in the 80's so by our new definition are definitely a heritage act. 

I have an eclectic musical taste, but my room mate at Uni insisted on listening to PSB, and only PSB. It's like Pavlov's dogs, I hear them and my skin crawls. Saying that I think they are looking favourite for most of my group. I will be far, far away

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

to the point that kids seem more than happy to go and watch DJs who are in their 50s.

In a way it's easier to watch a DJ in their 50's than a band who've aged 20/30 years because a DJ is playing records, it's less obvious, whereas a singer's voice will change etc.

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

I have an eclectic musical taste, but my room mate at Uni insisted on listening to PSB, and only PSB. It's like Pavlov's dogs, I hear them and my skin crawls. Saying that I think they are looking favourite for most of my group. I will be far, far away

That definitely sticks with you - I can't listen to Radiohead's early stuff because of this. Over exposure. I'm sure he had other CDs but wow. Fake plastic watering can first thing in the morning. 

2 minutes ago, rubick said:

That definitely sticks with you - I can't listen to Radiohead's early stuff because of this. Over exposure. I'm sure he had other CDs but wow. Fake plastic watering can first thing in the morning. 

He didn't have anything else other than PSB! Granted he was a real fanboy and had bootleg tapes of tons of there gigs, but no, just remembering those few months makes me shudder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

Had a similar experience at uni with someone I didn't like who only played one artist. I feel sorry for that artist but yep had the same effect on me. 

8 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

I was the only one of our group who didn't want to see them when they last headlined other, but was pleased I stayed as they put on a spectacular show. 

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

No, thanks, I must have missed that somehow (I probably saw electronica or whatever and thought it was about it rather than alternatives to it).  I will search it out.  Thanks again.

There's a couple of suggestions in here (below the OP) , but I think there's a bigger thread

Edited by clarkete

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Had the misfortune of seeing him DJ before. He was definitely doing it live, you could tell because he crashed almost every track into each other. 

Shocked they've booked him, this was 3 years ago though. Maybe he's improved.

Some DJ’s don’t do it live? The whole superstar knob twiddler thing is baffling at the best of times but miming playing other peoples records is taking the piss 

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Some DJ’s don’t do it live? The whole superstar knob twiddler thing is baffling at the best of times but miming playing other peoples records is taking the piss 

Someone went to a club where Bez was the guest DJ. He saw Bez beforehand and asked what set up he was using. Bez showed him his iPhone