LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

More an observation than a complaint, but it's not overly chocka with heritage acts. Macca, Rozza and Crowded House aside it's slim pickings.

Was thinking the same when the Isley Brothers official d*b d**n came in. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hoping for some pleasant surprises but I reckon most would be bigger names and likely have been on the first poster

Robert Plant as well to be fair, although he's likely to be emphasising new stuff.

Essentially I want a Burt Bacharach / Leonard Cohen / Crosby Stills & Nash / Art Garfunkel / BB King / Kris Kristofferson etc equivalent.

Yeah, not being a raver, into DJs electronica, dance and the like, I'm still waiting for other stages to fill in my days/nights - after the main stages finish, I'm hoping for some more traditional bands to see rather than most of what's offered.  Not moaning as I know I'll find things but...

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hoping for some pleasant surprises but I reckon most would be bigger names and likely have been on the first poster

Robert Plant as well to be fair, although he's likely to be emphasising new stuff.

Essentially I want a Burt Bacharach / Leonard Cohen / Crosby Stills & Nash / Art Garfunkel / BB King / Kris Kristofferson etc equivalent.

Several of those either were in a Sunday slot or acoustic, so plenty of time. 

There's a lot in the generation after them, the 40 to 60 somethings that we already know of. 

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah, not being a raver, into DJs electronica, dance and the like, I'm still waiting for other stages to fill in my days/nights - after the main stages finish, 

There is a thread about that very subject somewhere, if you haven't seen it

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There is a thread about that very subject somewhere, if you haven't seen it

No, thanks, I must have missed that somehow (I probably saw electronica or whatever and thought it was about it rather than alternatives to it).  I will search it out.  Thanks again.

53 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was half-expecting Emmylou Harris - she’s in Spain the weekend before, but seemingly no other European dates.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The problem I imagine with a lot of the heritage acts is they are after that last big pay day and as we all know Glastonbury doesn't provide that. 

That or dead, or have already played relatively recently, or aren’t touring. The well of ‘heritage’ acts in the sense that we’re talking here is drying up. It doesn’t seem like they could even secure one to headline West Holts this year now that Isley Brothers decided not to tour. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

That or dead, or have already played relatively recently, or aren’t touring. The well of ‘heritage’ acts in the sense that we’re talking here is drying up. It doesn’t seem like they could even secure one to headline West Holts this year now that Isley Brothers decided not to tour. 

Yes that's why I think our definition of heritage act needs to change I mean there are a bunch of people going to be attending the next festival who think of Britpop etc as that Music their parents listen to. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While generally true, it's not prevented yer Patti Smiths or ZZ Tops chipping up in the past.

Of course not but the point is it's a relatively small well, getting smaller with each passing year and many of those still touring are relatively motivated by getting a final pay day. So if you are trying to pick from a small pot and from that small pot some won't do it for the amount you pay then the number of these acts will of course keep getting smaller. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

Of course not but the point is it's a relatively small well, getting smaller with each passing year and many of those still touring are relatively motivated by getting a final pay day. So if you are trying to pick from a small pot and from that small pot some won't do it for the amount you pay then the number of these acts will of course keep getting smaller. 

Maybe it's just the first year it's really noticeable.

Bobby Gillespie and Bez aren't going to cut it in comparison to the likes of John Fogerty or Bryan Ferry.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes that's why I think our definition of heritage act needs to change I mean there are a bunch of people going to be attending the next festival who think of Britpop etc as that Music their parents listen to. 

That's definitely how my son views it. I think we can safely say that acts from the 90's are definitely heritage!

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe it's just the first year it's really noticeable.

Bobby Gillespie and Bez aren't going to cut it in comparison to the likes of John Fogerty or Bryan Ferry.

Yep I think it's going to get more noticeable though. We have to accept there ain't that many of them left and many of those that are left probably not in good enough health to be risking touring whilst there is still a pandemic going on. 

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

That's definitely how my son views it. I think we can safely say that acts from the 90's are definitely heritage!

I remember being quite horrified when we had a uni placement student talking about how he loved Noel and Liam Gallagher because it's what he grew up listening to with his parents and his grandparents. 

He went to Glastonbury in 2017 and said he'd promised his Mum that he'd go and watch this guy called Nile Rodgers. I now just accept it!!