LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

End of the Road attempted to go cashless last year and it was a slight disaster. Loads of the vendors couldn't get their card machines to work because the signal was too weak, so they had to resort to cash.

I'd prefer cashless (but not if they're going to force you to use their pre-paid cards or wristbands), and I've been to some festivals where it's worked, but it does have the potential to fuck up.

Current RFID technology doesn't need constant strong signal so potentially could work.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Last time Paul posted a hint and then a few hours later Glasto HQ confirmed it. I reckon that may happen again so all eyes on Paul’s socials.

They like to do this - have the artist confirm and then confirm it themselves later. Happened with Billie.

Do they?! Pretty sure the fest weren’t expecting Paul to announce when he did at at all and their posts were put together pretty hastily off the back of it.

It might be what happens but I don’t think it’s part of a co-ordinated strategy. Their hand just gets forced.

Just now, balthazarstarbuck said:

Do they?! Pretty sure the fest weren’t expecting Paul to announce when he did at at all and their posts were put together pretty hastily off the back of it.

It might be what happens but I don’t think it’s part of a co-ordinated strategy. Their hand just gets forced.

Billie definitely appeared to have jumped the gun

4 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

3 minutes ago, willd255 said:

Billie definitely appeared to have jumped the gun

This happens too often for them to have no idea. It’s marketing. They probably say to the artist we are happy for you to confirm yourself. They had a full poster ready for when she did.

7E3FD840-6C87-4A13-81FC-95417277AF95.png

The latest image posted on Instagram this morning seems pretty unspectacular, a part-shot of the Pyramid stage in 1983, with the CND symbol on it. Can't think of any significance to this and any upcoming announcements...can anyone else? Maybe it's just a random picture post, but I'm sure they have thousands of much better images in the archives...

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This happens too often for them to have no idea. It’s marketing. They probably say to the artist we are happy for you to confirm yourself. They had a full poster ready for when she did.

Typing “Billie Eilish” onto that must have been in the works for days. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Can I ask why a "cashless" festival tends to have the wristband tech involved?

Seems odd to re-invent the wheel so to speak when we can literally use debit cards / our phones?! 

So that the festival / solution provider can have control of your balance, track your habits, etc.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Typing “Billie Eilish” onto that must have been in the works for days. 

The way they do it is cool and unlike any of their competitors. When an act self confirms social media goes into a spin… look what happens on here when that happens.

It hits much harder than a scheduled orderly announced lineup.

New age marketing is making it look like it’s not marketing.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The latest image posted on Instagram this morning seems pretty unspectacular, a part-shot of the Pyramid stage in 1983, with the CND symbol on it. Can't think of any significance to this and any upcoming announcements...can anyone else? Maybe it's just a random picture post, but I'm sure they have thousands of much better images in the archives...

I would say it was a coded reference to Chas n’ Dave but Chas is sadly no longer with us.

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Paul McCartney was alive in 1983. It's a subtle hint but it's undeniable 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Can I ask why a "cashless" festival tends to have the wristband tech involved?

Seems odd to re-invent the wheel so to speak when we can literally use debit cards / our phones?! 

I'm no payment expert but I think using your own card requires internet access so the card machine can talk to the bank network in real time & verify the payment.

With a wristband, it can be set up so the wristband tech essentially has a digital wallet with a running balance. You spend £5 on a growler, the £5 is deducted from your balance and credited to the vendor's device - no internet connection needed right then. Obviously it all has to sync up at some point.

Personally I think if it's going cashless then it has to be 100% cashless - trying to work in both cash & digital payments would be a nightmare for vendors.

Just now, Gingerfish79 said:

Is anybody else regularly checking in on the BBC webcam? I suspect we'll know things are kicking off at pace when they switch it live again.

And instead of pointing at an empty Worthy Farm, it's Macca with his thumbs up.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Announcements are often a mess, just look at the amount of times an artist leaks a Festival poster by mistake.

Artists themselves will often only be told the date, rather than time of an announcement etc and go early. Pretty sure this happened with Billie. Paul's original announcement, with the teaser etc, was different.

I agree in some cases it's a coordinated move, but Billie's didn't look that way

this is a serious message to everyone watching my update right now peace and love peace and love I want to tell you please after the 20th of October do not send fan mail to any address that you have nothing will be signed after the 20th of October if that has a date on the envelope it's gonna be tossed I'm warning you with peace and love I have too much to do so no more fan mail thank you thank you and no objects to be signed nothing ah anyway peace and love peace and love